Mic Stands.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cowbell Anarchy
audio school graduate

Mic Stands.

Post by Cowbell Anarchy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:15 pm

So, I am more than a little fed up with my cheap lightweight tripod stands, and need to up my collection anyways so I don't have to resort to using a tree branch and chewing gum. So I was wondering what kind of sturdy stands y'all use, and where you get them from? Also, any ideas of how to make the stands I do have less crappy?

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:18 am

I enjoy Atlas stands myself.

-H

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:51 am

Wow, I really don't enjoy Atlas one bit. But then that's why there are different brands to suit different tastes.

For standard sized tripod-base stands and boom arms, I think Konig & Meyer make the absolute best. They are imported to the US by various companies including AKG and Ultimate, and pretty much every major mail-order place has them though they may be listed as an Ultimate product with a model number like "KM 21080". They are spendy, but worth it.
For round based, straight stands there is really nothing better than the Ultimate stackable mic stands. They are tough, sturdy, and you can stack 6 of them into the footprint of one for storage and transport. Pure genious, and really nice to use. Of course, if you purchase the 'one handed clutch' variety, keep in mind that it is really tricky to turn the stand into the mic clip - one tiny drawback, though the one-hand clutch is an option. Again, these are a bit more pricey than you're average no-name stand, but they last.
And for tall 'studio booms' I have to go somewhat cheaper because the bang-for-buck factor on the QuikLok A-50 is simply ridiculous. It's a massive stand that can reach about 7' high, and 7' more on the boom, either sideways or straight up to about 14'. It has a massive wheel base that is very stable and smooth to move, with locking casters. It streets at less than half the price of the Atlas, and is much smoother to operate.

Oh and just so you know, the smaller sized QuikLok stands are also the ones sold under the "OnStage" name and a few other store-specific brand names, and are likely the kind you've already used.

Hope that helps you out.

-Jeremy

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:34 am

Latch Lake.

Nice people: amazing stands.

Use one EVERY session. Every single session I use the Latch Lake stand for lots of things.

If you are hoisting a 3k + microphone, do it with a stand you trust!

That is why we got the latch lake.

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

tama

Post by exit2studios » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:17 pm

Tama stands are great. They are drum hardware quality, sturdy as hell and pretty cheap. I got a pack of them from either musicians fiend or samass or something for a pretty good price.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They rock.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Don't forget to get a bunch of short stands. Most of the sources we record are waist high or lower. Amps, snare, floor tom, sitting horn players, sitting acoustic guitarists etc, etc

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: tama

Post by hammertime » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm

No shit -- I love these things. I had a bunch of other ones that wore out/broke. The one that pissed me off the most was an AKG stand I paid almost a hundred bucks for that was no better than the quicklocks, all of which broke within a very short time.
exit2studios wrote:Tama stands are great. They are drum hardware quality, sturdy as hell and pretty cheap. I got a pack of them from either musicians fiend or samass or something for a pretty good price.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They rock.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Every Atlas stand I have is stripped or screwed up in some way. I will watchi this thread for helpful info, as I have none to offer.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:09 pm

drumsound wrote:Don't forget to get a bunch of short stands. Most of the sources we record are waist high or lower. Amps, snare, floor tom, sitting horn players, sitting acoustic guitarists etc, etc
Great advice. Sometimes I think things are self apparent....

I LOVE having the shortest stand for the job. Makes life much easier, and keeps the room easier to navigate.....

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:01 pm

I bought a bunch of Atlas stands several years ago before they started making all their stands in China. The new ones are... well they're made in China, I'll leave it at that.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:14 am

I picked up some good ones at Guitar Center, back in the "pro" audio department. I think they said HR or HD on them. They are reall good. All of the wing-type nuts for tigntining were ergonomic and would stay tight without too much force. They were also a lot heavyer that the cheep quicklok ones (which i think means better).

I just looked on the GC web page for them and couldnt find this brand name. Anybody know who im talking about?
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:39 am

Professor wrote:Konig & Meyer

those are great.

i really need to buy more stands. dang it.
that devil bastard protools