Electronics parts supply in NYC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Electronics parts supply in NYC

Post by wenley » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:22 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has a line on any electronics parts places in NYC (Brooklyn, preferably) other than Radio Shack. I need this piece which I can get from Jameco, but I only need one (it's for a power supply for my pedal board) and it costs .86. It seems pretty stupid to pay for shipping and wait if I could get it today.

Here's the details on the part if anyone knows where I could find one. I thank you all very much.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:56 pm

it is crazy that there arent any good electronics stores here (as far as i know). try a place that does repairs. main drag (south 1st and wythe in williamsburg) will sell individual caps and stuff so they would probably do one of those.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:51 pm

its that exact one or do you need somehting like it?

I have a few of those here at my place that I would sell you for that price I suppose.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:11 pm

Small Bear in park slope does mail order, but you can do local pickup. It's not a walk in store, as far as I know. You can go to the site here.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 pm

Dale electronics.
Ask for milton.
He is great. He will know where to get it.

Search "dale electronics NYC" google.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:42 pm

No one has mentioned Leed's. Open by appointment 4 or 5 days a week. Probably close to half a million tubes in that place and they know how to test them. Also great for switches, knobs, pots, big old caps, transformers, all things NOS. They cater almost exlcusively to tube gear. Richard is a very knowlegeable guy and will hook you up if you don't piss him off. It's better to know what you want in advance and call it in before showing up because it may take him a few hours to find it.

When I need other shit in a pinch I sometimes try 269 Electronics on Canal Street. It's a tiny counter way in the back w/a friendly old dude who likes to build tube hifi stuff. VERY limited, misc selection but it's good for one-offs or emergencies. (warning: DON'T buy the electrolytic caps hanging on the shelf as they've been there forever)

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:40 am

I second the 269 Electronics recommendation.

269 Canal Street btw. Broadway and Lafayette.

It is not a "boutique" electronics store, but they have a wide selection of useful parts, including all kids of weird jacks. You might be able to find your part there. I agree that you probably don't want to recap you Neve with their capacitors, but this guy has saved my ass many times. The old Chinese man who runs the electronics section is very nice if he can tell you're a serious diy'er, and he knows a thing or two about electronics as well.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:31 pm

Family Hoof wrote:No one has mentioned Leed's. Open by appointment 4 or 5 days a week. Probably close to half a million tubes in that place and they know how to test them. Also great for switches, knobs, pots, big old caps, transformers, all things NOS. They cater almost exlcusively to tube gear. Richard is a very knowlegeable guy and will hook you up if you don't piss him off. It's better to know what you want in advance and call it in before showing up because it may take him a few hours to find it.

When I need other shit in a pinch I sometimes try 269 Electronics on Canal Street. It's a tiny counter way in the back w/a friendly old dude who likes to build tube hifi stuff. VERY limited, misc selection but it's good for one-offs or emergencies. (warning: DON'T buy the electrolytic caps hanging on the shelf as they've been there forever)
Duh.
That is like a 4 minute walk from my studio.... Thank you for mentioning it. they have a site now....It is SUPER FANCY:

http://www.leedselect.com/parts.html

wenley
takin' a dinner break

thanks everybody

Post by wenley » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:57 am

Thanks for all your posts. I checked with the guy at Small Bear who suggested Mouser since they have no minimum order. I'm waiting on the part to ship now. But I'm defintely going to need these other places soon, and I greatly appreciate everybody chiming in with suggestions. I'm so glad the board is back! Thanks again!

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:59 am

the Leeds site looks awesome. I've got an old Philco console radio I've been trying to get working for years. I think they might just be the guys to help out. Thanks again!

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:27 am

ooh - they have some cool old VU meters there!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!