Electro Harmonix Black Finger

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

voxtimmay
audio school

Electro Harmonix Black Finger

Post by voxtimmay » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:08 pm

So, last night, I picked up one of these at a local shop. With all the talk on these boards about people having issues with EH pedals, I wanted to make sure I could try one before getting it to make sure it wasn't making any of the funky noises that people have complained about on here. Luckily, the one I got was super quiet, and nothing seemed off. This is the first compressor I've owned with tubes, and I must say it really blew me away on how it sounds on guitar. <br>
Yes, everyone hates the "warm" term for describing tube tones, but the tone was very much so from this thing, making my solid state Vox Pathfinder sound incredible. Even when driving the input stage on this thing to drive the tubes, the break up sounds great. I tried the White Finger as well and it just came no where near close to sounding as good to me. <br>
I'm wondering what other things people have run the Black Finger through? I'm going to put it through its paces this weekend, but specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these on vocals? I now can see why people like tube compressors so much and why just running a signal through it can make the sound so much better.
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:12 pm

some ppl use rats to bring out the air on vocals..i have the rat 2 but i never tried it...

anyway, using a comp like the one you got has been on my mind for a while..but i dunno if it would work out...that's a specific for guitar and live use at that, i dunno how well it would translate into a more wide array of uses...but if it works im there..i need a good/usable/colorful comp..

try it! :wink:

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:11 am

It's pretty noisy I thought - a hum to it. For guitar, it's kinda frickin awesome, and it's properly disgusting (as in great) on a drum sub, but it's no vocal compressor. Not quiet enough by a long shot.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Wow...I'm stoked you got a good one! Lucky bastartd!
That thing sounds STUPID great in front of a good distortion pedal into an overdriven amp....just thick T-Rex kinda shit.

heylow

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:09 pm

heylow wrote:Wow...I'm stoked you got a good one! Lucky bastartd!
That thing sounds STUPID great in front of a good distortion pedal into an overdriven amp....just thick T-Rex kinda shit.

heylow
Did you call EH yet?

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:48 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
heylow wrote:Wow...I'm stoked you got a good one! Lucky bastartd!

heylow
Did you call EH yet?

I totally haven't, though I still plan to. It's been such a busy couple of weeks....I haven't even had time to try out the replacement Barber Tone Press yet. Yikes.

heylow

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Side note:

The Black finger was essentially the prototype for the NY2A, which is an amazing tube compressor.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:49 am

maybe it could be useful in terms of noise reduction if there was a way to somehow change the ins and outs to send/receive a balanced signal..anyway, im totally open to using stomps all over, not just on guitar...ill be using my memory man on one of the aux sends of the allen & heath mixer im getting...see if it works...in my experience, the memory man has just the character that many tracks need...but i can be wrong...ill try it though.

i would love a NY2A, but at 2000 bucks, its just not happening :shock: