are we all a bunch of snobs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:17 am

umm the way i have been trained as an engineer seems pretty different from a lot of what i've heard. gear is important, yes. knowledge and skill are even more important, yes. serving the music is even more important, yes, yes, yes. but the most important thing, as far as i'm concerned, is how we treat the clients. they give us all that money for a reason, and that reason generally isn't that we've got a u47 in our closet. we are members of the service industry. every client, from 16 year old boys in a shitty emo band to those badasses who come in from memphis or chapel hill with a huge budget, they all deserve to feel like rockstars while they are in your studio, and to leave your studio feeling like they are that much closer to reaching whatever it is they aspire to. so yeah, we can be snobs at times, and that's ok. as long as we use our snobbery for the forces of good, which is making customers happy. and making new friends on the way.

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 am

I know this is a thread on snobbery, but we are not... ahem..."nerds". We are much cooler than nerds whether you do this as work or hobby. I prefer to think of tapeoppers as geeks, i.e. someone who has skills that other people could get, but they prefer not to. Like circus freaks who bite the heads off chickens. Other people could bite the heads off of chickens, they just don't want to. And if I remember that photo thread from the old boards, we're bearded freaks at that. (me too!) :D

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:48 am

i wish i had a beard.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:28 pm

brakeshop wrote:I know this is a thread on snobbery, but we are not... ahem..."nerds". We are much cooler than nerds whether you do this as work or hobby. I prefer to think of tapeoppers as geeks, i.e. someone who has skills that other people could get, but they prefer not to. Like circus freaks who bite the heads off chickens. Other people could bite the heads off of chickens, they just don't want to. And if I remember that photo thread from the old boards, we're bearded freaks at that. (me too!) :D
This is possibly the coolest quote EVER on this board. Or anywhere...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:06 pm

brakeshop wrote:And if I remember that photo thread from the old boards, we're bearded freaks at that. (me too!) :D
Beard representin':

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:42 pm

narcopolo wrote:i wish i had a beard.
You can have mine, its made of B though..the Le

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:58 pm

So I should grow a beard instead of getting that Focusrite preamp? Or should I get that too? What about a ribbon mic?

Okay, thanks!
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:12 pm

Hey man, I've got mine goin' and while it may or may not make the recordings better, it does hide the double chin nicely.

Am I the only one of us nerds who has seen the episode of Dexter's Labratory where Dexter creates a chemical that grows him a big orange beard so he can be rough and tumble and fight off criminals like his TV action hero role model?
What?
Don't look at me like I'm the only guy here who watches cartoon network.

-J

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:39 pm

Professor wrote: Don't look at me like I'm the only guy here who watches cartoon network.

-J
:shock:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:27 pm

Well fine look at me that way - 'cause I'll still be digging Harvey Birdman and Aqua Teen, and Sealab, and sometimes even Dexter and the Powerpuffs.
:^:

-J

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:27 am

narcopolo wrote:umm the way i have been trained as an engineer seems pretty different from a lot of what i've heard. gear is important, yes. knowledge and skill are even more important, yes. serving the music is even more important, yes, yes, yes. but the most important thing, as far as i'm concerned, is how we treat the clients. they give us all that money for a reason, and that reason generally isn't that we've got a u47 in our closet. we are members of the service industry. every client, from 16 year old boys in a shitty emo band to those badasses who come in from memphis or chapel hill with a huge budget, they all deserve to feel like rockstars while they are in your studio, and to leave your studio feeling like they are that much closer to reaching whatever it is they aspire to. so yeah, we can be snobs at times, and that's ok. as long as we use our snobbery for the forces of good, which is making customers happy. and making new friends on the way.

POST OF THE MONTH!
:D
WWRHS?

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:01 pm

Professor, all I watch is cartoon network. I have watched adult swim for years, and somehow I just got n the habit of leaving it on cartoon network 24/7. I can probably name any episode of anything on Cartoon Network. . .man I need a life!

And I have seen that Dexter episode, althogh my favorite is when he laminates himself so he won't have to take a bath.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Mark wrote:
narcopolo wrote:umm the way i have been trained as an engineer seems pretty different from a lot of what i've heard. gear is important, yes. knowledge and skill are even more important, yes. serving the music is even more important, yes, yes, yes. but the most important thing, as far as i'm concerned, is how we treat the clients. they give us all that money for a reason, and that reason generally isn't that we've got a u47 in our closet. we are members of the service industry. every client, from 16 year old boys in a shitty emo band to those badasses who come in from memphis or chapel hill with a huge budget, they all deserve to feel like rockstars while they are in your studio, and to leave your studio feeling like they are that much closer to reaching whatever it is they aspire to. so yeah, we can be snobs at times, and that's ok. as long as we use our snobbery for the forces of good, which is making customers happy. and making new friends on the way.

POST OF THE MONTH!

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:39 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
Mark wrote:

POST OF THE MONTH!
Fuck that...post of the year. Amen my brother. It's good to know that there are a few people out there that remember the magic of strapping on a guitar for the first time.