I?m About To Buy My First Computer For Recording Music?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

I?m About To Buy My First Computer For Recording Music?

Post by Catoogie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:55 am

Actually this will be the first computer I?ve ever purchased. I recently came into a bit of cash and I?ve decided to upgrade my recording rig from a Fostex FD-8 with a ADA8000 to a computer dedicated to recording music. I was all set to go with a G5 and a 002R but as I?m getting deeper into my research I?m thinking I should at least open myself to the idea of possibly going with a PC over the Mac.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? As I said I had planned on just going with a G5, a 2.3 with the 20? Cinema display, what PC would be comparable in terms of specs and performance? I?m assuming a PC would be considerably less money (not that that, thankfully, is an issue right now).

What would you do? I want to make sure I may a smart decision and don?t just go throwing money around ?cause it?s currently available. I do however want to get a nice stable, fast rig that will serve me well with a minimum of hassle. I?m not a technical guy so I need something low-maintenance.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:12 am

you'll get a million opinions on this. but, if money isn't an issue, and getting something somewhat hassle-free is, then you should really get the mac.

a mac will be super simple to learn and use. if you go the PC route, you'll spend more time learning about computers than about recording with a computer.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:38 am

If money isn't an issue, then get what you want. You won't be wasting any money with Mac or PC. Both can do the job. Totally. Usability may be easier on the Mac, especially for a newbie. Actually, since you say this is your first computer, then I'd definitely get a Mac, because OSX is an awesome operating system. XP is pretty cool in it's own way, too, but OSX is technologically superior at the moment, and it's easy to use.

Plus, since it'll be your first comp, you're going to use it for internet connectivity I would imagine, and 99% of virulent viruses are PC-based. You'll bypass that entire headache with a Mac.

OSX is totally multithreaded, so one bad app won't take the whole comp down, as in the old days. This is something that Microsoft is shooting for in it's much delayed replacement for XP -- still probably a year or two away...

And with an Apple Cinema Display?!? Feck! That's the way to go, if you can manage it... I can't imagine you not being totally geeked out about it...

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:24 pm

think about customer support. There are something like fifty PC owners for every mac owner... I can actually call my local mac dealer and talk directly to the tech.

plus. mac is sexier

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:36 pm

Mac's make better music :lol: :twisted: :lol:
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:56 am

Every time I have to work with someone that has a PC it is a pain in thne ass. Really. EVERY time. There is always some dumb thing that doesnt work from me and I ALWAYS can read whatever they bring ME!?!?

I have no idea about PC, as I have been using Mac since the IIe, and I have been using protools since PT3.0! Always on a mac!

starscream
alignin' 24-trk

Post by starscream » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:25 am

I'm a PC user (have been for 15years) and don't have any plans on changing anytime in the foreseeable future but, that being said, if this is your first audio computer I would go with a MAC. The OS seems to be very user-friendly and the computer as a whole seems to be virtually maintenance free. PC's are great but they do require some tech 'know how' (for both the hardware and software) to keep them running smoothly, especially for audio. Hope this helps.

Nick

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:26 pm

Regarding computer recording: I started with a Mac G3, then over a 4 years ago I bulked up to a massive PC setup, then got frustrated to the point where I bought a G5, and I couldn't be happier. As far as a first-time computer for audio goes you'd be better off with a Mac.

Considering you said, "I do ... want to get a nice stable, fast rig that will serve me well with a minimum of hassle. I?m not a technical guy so I need something low-maintenance."

It sounds like you'd be happy with a Mac. The PC I ran initially I had to do a lot of tweaking... it worked great but PC's (especially for audio recording) isn't as easy as plug-in and go, most of the time. Sure there are some tweaks in the Mac but to me were easier to understand and navigate thru (Macs are more graphical-tech rather than numerical-tech--- but that's also the problem for those that want to tweak a Mac even further but can't unlike like someone with a PC can).

The big drawback of a Mac is it is more expensive but as far as a 'good to go' system, you can't beat it.... not unless you get a PC and know how to tweak both BIOS and other settings.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:06 pm

Hmm, I guess my experience w/ Macs is different from most. The G3s I used to work with were notoriously unreliable. External drives would dissapear, the MOTU interfaces would crackle and pop, weird crashes in Pro Tools...and unlike a PC, there wasn't much I could do about it except reboot and hope for the best. PCs are weird, but once you set them up they tend to stay set up in my experience. Then when you install a new thing sometimes they break, but then you fix it and it's fine again and stays fine.

If you're buying a 1st audio computer your money will go a lot further with a PC. Just have someone experienced help you set it up, and then don't mess with it too much. The "macs are more reliable" thing is, in my admittedly limited opinion, a myth. It was probably a true myth in the 90's, but things have changed.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:your money will go a lot further with a PC.
This is a common PC-users argument which isn't really true. It is true that you can get a full PC setup for very cheap. On the mid to high end, however, they're about the same. Maybe even more once you add on to the PC all the necessities that are included with a Mac.

As far as shear hands-on elegance and useability, the Mac has it by a long shot. OS-X really did put it way out in front (again).

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:15 pm

BradG wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:your money will go a lot further with a PC.
This is a common PC-users argument which isn't really true. It is true that you can get a full PC setup for very cheap. On the mid to high end, however, they're about the same. Maybe even more once you add on to the PC all the necessities that are included with a Mac.

As far as shear hands-on elegance and useability, the Mac has it by a long shot. OS-X really did put it way out in front (again).
You could be right about OSX- I haven't had the pleasure. "Elegance & useability" are subjective in any case. Compare for yourself, that's the only way to know what you'll like.

If you can build your own PC (or know someone who can) you save a LOT of money on comparable-spec machines, though. This I know. Even with pre-mades there is a noticible cost difference. I have no intention of dragging this down into a mac vs. PC thread though. Once again I can only say, compare for yourself. I'm just posting my personal experience, take it for what you will.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:44 pm

I used a PC for years and learned more about the inner workings of those things (software and hardware) than I ever wanted to know.
and, once I got it set up properly, it worked flawlessly for me for 3 years.
then, when upgrade time came around, I realized how much I had forgotten about building and configuring a PC. I just couldn't be bothered to learn about modern motherboards and chipsets again. So, I got a g5 and got straight back to work.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:59 am

Ah the mac life is sweet. I just got myself a mac mini and a 20' cinema display. The computer is pretty quick, Im not recording on it yet. Not real fast, the the G5 is over twice as fast, and you can get way tons of ram. anyways, the display is awsome!! Its a beautiful peice of hardware. Its pretty anoying watching movies and playing games cause none, NONE of them support the resolution format. Most DVD's (widescreeen) still have black bars on the top and bottom, but some (some widescreen) have black bars on the top and bottom AND on the SIDES!!! I can't handle wasted space!! Still, it looks as good or better as any LCD. And has a pretty cool setup wizard that rivals high end home theater displays and projectors.

But in the Pro Tools environment you can fill your screen with whatever you heart desires.

I belive the myth that Mac is more reliable. But whatever you do purchase the extended waranty. Whoever you buy from, especially mac.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:42 am

Thanks so much for all of your help. After reading your posts in addition to all of my other research I've come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna go with a G5. That to me seems like my best bet.

One more question. How do you feel about buying the Apple Certified Refurbished stuff?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:56 am

I probably wouldn't have any problem with it. Actually, staying a little bit behind the bleeding edge will probably save you a lot of money on a mac. And, you don't NEED a dual 2.7Ghz G5 to run audio apps.