Need Favour: What Was Name Of Neve Preamp Reviewed...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Need Favour: What Was Name Of Neve Preamp Reviewed...

Post by Suntower » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:29 pm

in TapeOp #49?

It got such a glowing review, I wanted to give it a try but I can't find the issue underneath a blizzard of <ahem> hugely important papers. :roll:

TIA,

---JC

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:26 pm

Portico?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:18 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Portico?
Not sure. Don't recall if it was a genuine Neve per se. I seem to recall it was a combo preamp and DI.

There weren't -that- many reviews in that issue. Can you tell me -which- pres were reviewed.

THANKS!

---JC

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:02 pm

Wunder Audio?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doctari » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:51 am

I just posted a request for someone to tell me which issue The Rupert Neve Prtico 5012 review is in and while looking for an answer to this previously posted question the answer has presented itself. Issue 49. Mike Caffey gave it a glowing review.
I have been pining for a high quality preamp to add to my rig including a 4 channel Sytek unit, which the more I use the more i appreciate. We recorded various guitars through a loud bassman with Sytek and were knocked out by how the sytek really sounded like the Bassman sounded in the room.
Just bought a Portico 5012 ( a big financial leap for this back yard studio) and will try it out later today on an overdub session. Preliminary trials recording my precision bass through di into portico into digi002r has made a Neve nut out of me. incrdible depth and clarity. My words cannot describe the joy in hearing this humble bass through headphones.
Thanks to Mr.Neve and his crew.

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:45 pm

Doctari - I'm thinking of making the same plunge as you, adding a Portico to my Sytek pre. Can you let me know what the major differences your hearing between the two, especially in regards to vox and guitar? Thanks.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:22 am

OK, so it -was- the Portico? I'm a bit confused as I -thought- recalled the reviewer gushing about how it sounded with bass guitar and yet when I look @ the picture @ the Neve site it doesn't indicate that it has a line input at all.

Can someone please set me straight on the product reviewed and the signal path the reviewer used in the article? Or can I get another copy of the article somehow?

TIA,

---JC

doctari wrote:I just posted a request for someone to tell me which issue The Rupert Neve Prtico 5012 review is in and while looking for an answer to this previously posted question the answer has presented itself. Issue 49. Mike Caffey gave it a glowing review.
I have been pining for a high quality preamp to add to my rig including a 4 channel Sytek unit, which the more I use the more i appreciate. We recorded various guitars through a loud bassman with Sytek and were knocked out by how the sytek really sounded like the Bassman sounded in the room.
Just bought a Portico 5012 ( a big financial leap for this back yard studio) and will try it out later today on an overdub session. Preliminary trials recording my precision bass through di into portico into digi002r has made a Neve nut out of me. incrdible depth and clarity. My words cannot describe the joy in hearing this humble bass through headphones.
Thanks to Mr.Neve and his crew.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:37 pm

No one?

:cry:

bowling-name
audio school graduate

Wrong review

Post by bowling-name » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Hi. The Neve Portico 5012 does not have a di. The review in issue #49 gushing about bass was for the Wunder Audio PEQ1R New Revision "A," which is a pre/eq combo.
(www.wunderaudio.com)

--ryan

p.s.

I'm guessing the Neve is a great sounding pre, check out some samples/comparisons here:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session10.htm

doctari

portico

Post by doctari » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:02 am

The 5012 does not have a1/4" instrument line in. I plugged a precision bass into a Radial JDI into xlr mic input of the Portico and running the gain on 48 or 54 with the trim on 0 or +2 , heard really clear and deep tones being produced in my headphones. I have not mixed anything using it for bass yet, but I used it for various acoustic and electric guitars during overdubs, the acoustics souded really sweet. I must admit my novice recording skills, and so far none of thes tracks have been mixed.As far as comparing with the Sytek its too soon for me to say. But to my ears the Sytek is worthy and stands up quite well. But at least in headphones the Portico seems to get me closer to the sounds I've envied on records for years. Considering the difference in price between 2 channels of the Neve to 4 channels of Sytek, I would like to see what more experienced recordists have to say.

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:05 am

The Rupert Neve Designs Portico, sadly, does not have a DI, as other people said.

I have it and absolutely love it.

Several of us posted extensively about it on Phil O'Keefe's forum on Harmony Central. I'll try and provide a link to it later on.

I bought it partially because of the TapeOp review. It really is wonderful. And I know that this is an odd thing to say since it is rather expensive, but it is a bargain. I broke the piggy bank to get it. But it's worth it. No regrets. It sounds wonderfully clear and full. And in Silk Mode, it has noticeably more girth and does something cool to the top end - not exactly sure what, but it sure is smooth.

I've tried it on male and female vocals with a Lawson L251 mic, and recorded guitar cabinets and bass cabinets, all with outstanding results. The character of the Silk Button pushed in makes the Portico more versatile.

I should mention too that the high-pass filter can be set for as high as 250Hz, rather high for a high-pass filter. But the thing works great. Adjust it in and out and it does not change the inherent character of the sound at all. Works really well. I always roll off at least the bottom 100-120Hz for vocals (I'm in a home studio, and this kind of roll-off is almost mandatory).

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 am

I forgot to mention that I've recorded acoustic guitars with it and they too sound really great. Regular setting - open and clear. Silk - more " '70s" sounding, still really great. Kinda depends on what sort of sound you're after.

I have mixed songs with it and the female vox and bass tracks sit in the mix very nicely.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:43 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Wunder Audio?
Speaking of Wunder Audio, I'd really like to see an article on these guys. With the growing popularity of their pres, their re-makes of the C12 and U47, and their new console they're working on, I think it could be quite interesting (especially with pics of their shop).

doctari

Post by doctari » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:51 pm

The silk button has something to do with negative feed back according to the users pamphlet that came with the Portico. This is something electronic circuit people understand. All I know is Precision into Jdi or Bassbone into the Portico with silk engaged creates a buttery, velvety, tone.Don't have a clue what negative feedback is or why adding it or taking it away effects the sound, but the silk button does something cool too the bass.