is the lexicon LXP1 still worth it with what's out there?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

is the lexicon LXP1 still worth it with what's out there?

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:40 am

hi folks,

i'm wondering if the LXP1 is still worth it in light of what's out there these days (meaning TC M300, lexicon MX200 and slightly older boxes, etc). The LXP1 is going for 160/70 bucks regularly on ebay, and that's more or less the price you can pay for a M300 new! I'm kind of divided, ill have the allen & heath 1221 for a more analog path and (hopefully) fatter sound..and in that line of thought, i figured might as well get a "vintage" verb box, it'll help in what i'm trying to sound like...

guess what i'm asking is wether or not it's worth it in light of the competition for the same price, and also wether or not the mixer itself is enough to impart the "older" sound i'm looking for coming out of the soundcard, and, in that case, the reverb would be a nice plus, but not essential to the whole thing..

thanks!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:04 am

The LXP-1 is what it is and that's the beauty of it. It's a simple box designed to sort of sound like Lexicon reverbs with a simple interface for adjusting the important stuff. I've used two of those things for years on lots of records I've done, even with much more expensive and cooler stuff in the racks. I can't believe that Lexicon bailed on those things to put out the Alex and the Reflex, but whatever. The reverbs in them are great, in that big, dramatic sort of older Lexicon way. It's not a very natural-sounding box, but it's pretty much the sound that you're used to hearing on a lot of records.

There's a definite quality to the Lexicon verbs that people are used to hearing. The TC verbs, as well as the Rolands, the Yamahas, the Sonys, the AMSs, etc. all have their own thing going on. While some are similar, I haven't heard anything that sounds like Lexicon stuff, even some of Lexicon's own products.

If you can find one in good shape for a price you can afford and want that sort of Lexicon sound, I'd say go for it. If you want a box that sounds natural or will do a million different effects, you should probably look for something else.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:55 am

this completely does not address the issue but Ive had a lexicon 550 for a while now and that box is outstanding in an "outstanding" not "for the money" kind of way. Id see what the used market is on them if you are looking around.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

roryrok
audio school graduate

lexicon 550

Post by roryrok » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:12 pm

soundguy wrote:this completely does not address the issue but Ive had a lexicon 550 for a while now and that box is outstanding in an "outstanding" not "for the money" kind of way.
holy crap, soundguy just said something good about a piece of gear i actually own. any favorite presets? i use the 'rich plate' alot on mine...
Rory Allen Phillips
WWIV Recording Studio Austin, TX
myspace.com/roryallenphillips
recover?soft?at all cost?slowreader?the rise?young love?name taken?the higher

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:06 pm

I know it's like $400 (I think? I don't know) but the Kurzweil Rumour is the best reverb I've ever owned in terms of recreating a natural ambiance. I've owned the LXP-1, Roland SRV330, various spring reverbs, including a BX-10, and others not worth mentioning.

If you're looking at the LXP-1, you might not be looking for an realistically ambient sort of reverb, but if you are, then the rumour is sooooo awesome. You can also put it in bypass and use it as a pair of really fine converters.

You should do a search on these things. They seem to be one of those universally loved boxes.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:52 pm

cgarges wrote:The LXP-1 is what it is and that's the beauty of it. It's a simple box designed to sort of sound like Lexicon reverbs with a simple interface for adjusting the important stuff. I've used two of those things for years on lots of records I've done, even with much more expensive and cooler stuff in the racks. I can't believe that Lexicon bailed on those things to put out the Alex and the Reflex, but whatever. The reverbs in them are great, in that big, dramatic sort of older Lexicon way. It's not a very natural-sounding box, but it's pretty much the sound that you're used to hearing on a lot of records.

There's a definite quality to the Lexicon verbs that people are used to hearing. The TC verbs, as well as the Rolands, the Yamahas, the Sonys, the AMSs, etc. all have their own thing going on. While some are similar, I haven't heard anything that sounds like Lexicon stuff, even some of Lexicon's own products.

If you can find one in good shape for a price you can afford and want that sort of Lexicon sound, I'd say go for it. If you want a box that sounds natural or will do a million different effects, you should probably look for something else.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Chris,

that's exactly what i needed to hear, i thank you very much. That's exactly what i'm going for, not exactly realistic verbs, but more to impart a particular sound...i'm getting the allen & heath 1221 mixer tomorrow (hopefully) and the LXP1 is one more part of the plan. Thanks for confirming it. At this point i have no interest whatsoever in a box that does several fx..i just want a good verb, that sounds different from the stuff out there these days, that lets me impart the sound im hearing in my head.

I also have a microverb II, that i guess has a similar layout...could u please sugest some kind of knob settings i should try out at first. It's fairly simple i know, but frankly when i adjust the microverb II (its on my guitar rig as a noise generator basically), im always in doubt on wether or not i'm taking stuff away from the signal by putting the input/output a little too low or something, in order to decrease the noise level. I undestand what the mix button does (100% - 0% wet right?), but the input/output optimal use is kind of bugging me. I never know if i'm doing the right thing with it.

anyway, thanks Chris! i'm gonna get it.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:54 pm

soundguy wrote:this completely does not address the issue but Ive had a lexicon 550 for a while now and that box is outstanding in an "outstanding" not "for the money" kind of way. Id see what the used market is on them if you are looking around.

dave
hey Dave,

ive read posts where you were talking about the 550 before, it's clear that you really like it :wink: i thank you for the sugestion, but it's really something i can't touch right now :/ it's going for more than the LXP1..

plus im a sucker for 1/3 rack stuff... :shock:

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:58 pm

honkyjonk wrote:I know it's like $400 (I think? I don't know) but the Kurzweil Rumour is the best reverb I've ever owned in terms of recreating a natural ambiance. I've owned the LXP-1, Roland SRV330, various spring reverbs, including a BX-10, and others not worth mentioning.

If you're looking at the LXP-1, you might not be looking for an realistically ambient sort of reverb, but if you are, then the rumour is sooooo awesome. You can also put it in bypass and use it as a pair of really fine converters.

You should do a search on these things. They seem to be one of those universally loved boxes.
Honk,

i wish i could get a rumour man..lol...my budget is like 150 bucks :wink: it's something i want to get one day though...but right now, believe it or not, its going for 650 bucks or more here...more.

say, can you recomend an affordable (but great!) analog spring verb box? i would also like to get one of those soon as well...ive always heard good things about the simulation on that boss box, the RRV 10 or something...maybe it wasnt that...but anwyway, you know better than i do...any thoughts?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:57 pm

I have a love for the LXP1. Alas, I sold mine ages ago, like a dummy. I think they are great, though. I had an LXP1 and a 5 on a rack shelf. Awesome little boxes, especially with the LARC thingy. They really rock with the remote controller for some reason.

As far as verb suggestions in general, I really, really love layering a bunch of verbs, all into each other and through each other and with tape echo into a spring as predelay, along with another mono spring, and another tape echo feeing an SPX 90, and a TC2000 and a tube line amp getting the return of a couple of those verbs: unique, sculpted, complex awesomeness.

The complexity and "lushness" [cringe] of the tails gets SO much better IMO when layering more than one verb. Even in a room with a plate, I will put a little Lex or TC on the return, and wind up with an uber-stereo, amazing verb that sits really well. I do that with the spring a LOT: Spring verb with TC verb on the lex return, rather than the source. Amazing.or tape echo, with TC on the echo return, and a little spring on the TC return. Amazing.

None of these devices costs a lot of money. Get a cheap spring verb, an LXP1, and a 3 head cassette deck and you are fully in business!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:28 pm

Joel,

Sheesh, it's so much work patching all that shit together. You rock, though, for doing it. I'm a lazy bastard.

Spring verb, affordable? I'd say a Furman RV-1. They pop up every now and then.
If you can find any AKG spring reverb for that price, they're pretty awesome. BX-5 (I think) is a rackmount one. BX-10, a big box. BX-20, an even bigger box.

I had a Biamp spring that I thought was pretty unusable in most situations. I've also owned an Orban at one point in time. Maybe the time wasn't right for me to own an Orban, but I was kind of underwhelmed at that thing. Not much headroom. Distorted like crazy if I breathed too hard. Cool on electric guitars. I sold it awhile later.

I'd say look for a Furman.

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:30 pm

I consider the Demeter Real Reverb affordable, and I also consider it awesome.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:19 am

diogo wrote:plus im a sucker for 1/3 rack stuff... :shock:
The LXP1 is a half-rack width unit.

I don't know what to suggest as far as knob settings. About the only thing that's easier to adjust is an EMT plate. It's really easy--wheel through the presets and if one sounds good but it's too long, shorten the decay. If it needs more pre-delay, adjust that. It doesn't get much easier.

The LXP-1 and LXP-5 were totally different animals, by the way. They both used the mini-LARC thing and the both fit together in one rack space, but that's about it. Everything that was cool about the LXP-1 was not cool about the LXP-5 except the actual sound of the reverbs. The LXP-5 was a joke to try to program, especially without the MRC.

And while we're on the subject, I'm also a fan of the MPX-1.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:01 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I have a love for the LXP1. Alas, I sold mine ages ago, like a dummy. I think they are great, though. I had an LXP1 and a 5 on a rack shelf. Awesome little boxes, especially with the LARC thingy. They really rock with the remote controller for some reason.

As far as verb suggestions in general, I really, really love layering a bunch of verbs, all into each other and through each other and with tape echo into a spring as predelay, along with another mono spring, and another tape echo feeing an SPX 90, and a TC2000 and a tube line amp getting the return of a couple of those verbs: unique, sculpted, complex awesomeness.

The complexity and "lushness" [cringe] of the tails gets SO much better IMO when layering more than one verb. Even in a room with a plate, I will put a little Lex or TC on the return, and wind up with an uber-stereo, amazing verb that sits really well. I do that with the spring a LOT: Spring verb with TC verb on the lex return, rather than the source. Amazing.or tape echo, with TC on the echo return, and a little spring on the TC return. Amazing.

None of these devices costs a lot of money. Get a cheap spring verb, an LXP1, and a 3 head cassette deck and you are fully in business!

Joel, many thanks for the display of techniques :D thanks for sharing, really!

the lxp1, i lost it for 1 buck unbelivable, but what the heck..there are plenty out there...the spring...im looking, this stuff doesnt come up often..one that ive heard good things about is the BOSS RX100 or something..i saw the insides, there's really two springs in there...for years i thought it was just an analog simulation...

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 pm

honkyjonk wrote:Joel,

Sheesh, it's so much work patching all that shit together. You rock, though, for doing it. I'm a lazy bastard.

Spring verb, affordable? I'd say a Furman RV-1. They pop up every now and then.
If you can find any AKG spring reverb for that price, they're pretty awesome. BX-5 (I think) is a rackmount one. BX-10, a big box. BX-20, an even bigger box.

I had a Biamp spring that I thought was pretty unusable in most situations. I've also owned an Orban at one point in time. Maybe the time wasn't right for me to own an Orban, but I was kind of underwhelmed at that thing. Not much headroom. Distorted like crazy if I breathed too hard. Cool on electric guitars. I sold it awhile later.

I'd say look for a Furman.
Honk, thanks! Ive been looking at the AKG ones actually, the BX20 (i think) comes up very often, but its a big box, its not something i can pull off in the bedroom.

ill keep my eyes open for the AKGs and Furmans.thanks!

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Reuben wrote:I consider the Demeter Real Reverb affordable, and I also consider it awesome.
Reuben, thanks for the sugestion, its noted down, and i dont doubt this is the dog's bollocks...but when i mean affordable, its like something along the lines of the LXP1..very good and can be had for next to nothing for what it is...or exactly the price for what it is..but still good..

right now, 650 bucks for a reverb...i can do a lot with that kind of money :wink: