Kick their asses Joel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Meriphew
deaf.

Kick their asses Joel

Post by Meriphew » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:16 pm

So I was reading the brand new issue of EQ..... :shake: errr.... ok.... what happened? They seemed to be on the right track for a couple issues, now they're back to square one again. The only thing I could find that was good was the cover story. Don't you know the editor there Joel? Maybe you can talk a little sense into them. Dunno.... maybe I'm being to critical of them.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:14 am

Yeah...

Email Eugene directly!

EQ needs to know people actually want to see cool stuff. Lots of pressure at the big, more corporate magazines. Very weird scenario....

He is trying, I know that for a fact and respect it a lot.

EQ Wicker Man
audio school

info please

Post by EQ Wicker Man » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:59 am

you know, hearing the issue sucks is almost like hearing that I should play Freebird when I'm onstage: sort of funny in the same way that say The Hollywood Squares might be funny (the kind of funny where you feel sorry for everybody), but ultimately not very useful...so go ahead and tell me what's on your mind...I have some time now that I just spent an hour defending my decision to run Joel's review of the TFPRO unit to Dave Collins. again.

jay-zus...

ciao,
Eugene
The pope smokes the dope the pope smokes.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:35 pm

TFPRO...not trying to stir anything here but, werent those guys sued or something? are they still producing the stuff that got them the lawsuits? is that what's being reviwed?

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Eugene, first off, thx for responding. As far as what I see as "problems" concerning the Dec '05 issue of EQ, I will make a short list.

1. Too much stuff on synths. I love synths but I get EQ for recording info/recording gear info. I can get my synth fix from Keyboard magazine, or Electronic Musician.

2. The Tom Rothrock article seemed like it didn't really go anywhere or tell me anything that I wanted to know. I felt like I was reading a transcript of something he would have talked about if he were on Oprah.

3. The Bad Religion article seemed like an article that should have run in Rolling Stone magazine.

4. Too much software. Again, I can (and do) see most of this stuff in Electronic Musician, and (Big Fish Audio loops) Keyboard magazine.

5. Where are the mic reviews? Where are the mic preamp reviews? Where are the reviews of all the other great hardware that's out there? How about some reviews/info on some nice consoles - vintage or new.

6. When interviewing engineers, get the scoop on what the room was like, what mics, preamps, outboard etc. they used. Info on their tricks and techniques. I want to feel like I was there, and I want to be pumped up about recording when I finish the article (that's how I feel when I'm reading TapeOp). I have felt the same way about EQ in the past, but somehow it doesn't seem the same anymore.

7. Don't dumb down a story, or slant a story to hobbyist recorders. I think that even though alot of people are hobbyist recorders/record at home, they still want hardcore recording info.

The Sept '05 EQ was absolutely fantastic. I loved that issue. Obviously all of these points I raised are just my point of view, and others may love the things that I hate. Anyhow, thx Eugene for taking the time to read this and to listen to my rant(s).

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:44 pm

Meriphew, your points are valid. I can't remember the last time I even considered buying an issue of EQ. If there were more interesting articles like you mentioned, I would buy it instead of just casually flipping through it at the local music store.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:53 pm

Is there any real point in gear reviews, like, at all?

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:33 pm

I look forward to gear reviews. I take them all with a grain of salt, but I feel like a can get at least a bit of info from them - especially if they're done by someone that you feel you can trust their word on.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:18 pm

I get the feeling EQ mag is trying to find itself, or find a more econo audience. Either way, it needs to take a stand for what it is. I liked the way it always sat between say....Mix and TapeOp. But throwing in a handfull of cuss words in a couple of issues doesn't give it street cred. It just makes it sound silly.

That having been said......it's a great magazine. I've learned much from it.

Thanks

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:21 pm

I haven't seen a copy of EQ in a few years, but I remember liking the DIY section they had once in a while. Usually by Craig Anderton. Build an EQ or whatever. It gave me as a non techie person an idea about what was under the hood of the gear I was using.

Before there was Tape Op, it was the more down to earth recording mag.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:47 am

soundguy wrote:Is there any real point in gear reviews, like, at all?

dave
I'm with you here Dave...but I guess that is a whole other topic for discussion. The more reviews I read of gear I am familiar with, I am constantly asking myself "what the heck is he smoking?"
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 pm

Doublehelix wrote:"what the heck is he smoking?"
political peace pipe.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.