any news on tape manufacturers output?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blindbanjodjim
gettin' sounds

any news on tape manufacturers output?

Post by blindbanjodjim » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:21 am

i've been trying to find any information on atr magnetics or any other possible tape manufacturer's progress into tape production. i noticed that the atr magnetics site has been changed, but no update as to the status of the tape. anyone out here heard anything yet, or know where to get 1/2" tape that doesn't cost some ridiculous amount?

also, can anyone recommend a good quality, low cost, bulk tape eraser?

thanks in advance.
blindbanjodjim

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:33 pm

define "some ridiculous amount". i've been using www.usrecordingmedia.com for my tape stuff, and they ship super fast, but 1/2" is around 60 bucks. I just got a tip on a source that's selling 1/2" GP9 for $47, and i'll let you know when i find out what it is.

i got my bulk demagger at radio shack.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:45 pm

ATR has resolved their issues with their city, and should have tape out either Q4 this year or Q1 next year. Next year more has always been more likely, its coming soon.

As for the other 3, I didn't talk to them much. Isn't Q producing yet??? I'm still using off the stock I built last January.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:59 pm

cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

blindbanjodjim
gettin' sounds

Post by blindbanjodjim » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:55 am

by ridiculous amount, i meant over $100, like i had seen someone selling used gp9 for on ebay after the announcement that quantegy was going out of business.

there were a couple places around, before the "dropout", that sold gp9 1/2" for less than $50, but everyone's cleaned out now.

seems like i'll be buying a bulk eraser and reusing some of my old stock until atr is up and running.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:53 am

ummm... www.tapes.com

ATTN PEOPLE... QUANTEGY MAKES TAPE.

ok. had to get that out of my system. they've been making tape again since like may or whatever. not as huge quantities, but it's certainly out there and available for normal prices. even the little electronics shop in williamsburgh has some new reels of gp9 2"...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jpmorris » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:45 am

toaster3000 wrote:ATTN PEOPLE... QUANTEGY MAKES TAPE.

ok. had to get that out of my system. they've been making tape again since like may or whatever. not as huge quantities, but it's certainly out there and available for normal prices.
For those looking in the UK, I've been getting mine from www.studiospares.com - it's still a bit scarce and prices are roughly ?10 higher than before the 'Quantegy situation'.

River, who I bought from before are still only offering 467, but I've been meaning to check out Zonal and see when their 456 equivalent is coming out and what it's likely to cost.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:01 pm

http://www.neemannmedia.com

has quantegy. the prices on their site are old though, new prices are a bit more. i think a reel of gp9 is like 50 bucks or so. anyway i got three reels of 456 from them awhile back. have to say that their customer service was a little dicey...after it'd been a week since i ordered and i still didn't have the tape, i called, got the same guy on the phone and he was all "oh...gees...sorry....i'll get right on it..." another week went by, still no tape, i called again and basically demanded they give me a tracking number, which they did, and i got my tape a couple days later...in a rather shabby looking box. whatevs. i've ordered from them before with no problems, so just a word to the wise...

blindbanjodjim
gettin' sounds

herzliche danke!

Post by blindbanjodjim » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:32 pm

thanks to all of you! all the sites i was accustomed to searching on are no longer carrying quantegy tape, nor any other brands for that matter, so i appreciate all the leads.