Slightly OT: In-ear monitors for live sound?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

daede
takin' a dinner break

Slightly OT: In-ear monitors for live sound?

Post by daede » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:21 pm

We're looking into investing in an in-ear setup. We all use those custom molded earplug dealies, and I assume we'd want to go for custom molded monitors as well.

Anyone with any experience have any suggestions?
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:22 pm

get your own monitor engineer, so you don't all go deaf from the in-club knuckle head blasting you with keys or snare or something.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:26 pm

toaster3000 wrote:get your own monitor engineer, so you don't all go deaf from the in-club knuckle head blasting you with keys or snare or something.
If only that were economically feasible. I wish.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

Professor

Post by Professor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:13 pm

I went to a 2-hour panel discussion on in-ear monitors at the AES convention that dealt with all kinds of subjects around these, and I've worked with them as a monitor engineer before.
There are some really nice things about them, like for example, they are smaller and usually cheaper than a monitor speaker for each band member. The stage volume goes down considerably, which reduces feedback issues and allows the front of house to run as it should.
There are some dangers, like a numb-nuts, drunk, bar PA guy hitting you with 110dB straight to your ear drums. But you do have a volume control and limiter on the belt pack.
And there are some basic guidelines. First, nobody gets to use 'just one ear' unless they put an ear plug in the other side. The balance gets thrown way off and the monitor becomes more confusing and distracting. Also, if you realy think about it, you probably don't need wireless sets for almost the whole band. The drummer isn't running around, and neither is the keyboard guy, and maybe not even the bass or guitar. I mean if your stage show involves stage dives and running all over the place, then you probably need wireless. But if your guitar is wired, then your in-ears probably could be too - in fact, you could tape the cables together. That will save an enormous amount of cash on the system, and will ensure that most of the band isn't getting RF interference.

And a good place to start with decisions would be to ask how many separate mixes you need. Discuss with the band if the drums, bass, keys and rhythm guitar all really need individual mixes, or do they all just really want to hear bass and lead vocals? That will help the band to know what the system will need to look like (and cost).

-Jeremy

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:20 pm

I've been using them with my trio for awhile. The nice thing is like Professor said, not everybody needs wireless. I'm sitting behind a big Hammond B3, so I ain't going nowhere. I saved a ton of money by buying some Shure E2s and a little Rolls headphone amp. I hook that up to one of my aux sends and voila!

The drummer does the same. Our guitarist is the only one using wireless. For our needs, three aux sends do the trick nicely.

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:25 pm

b3groover wrote:I've been using them with my trio for awhile. The nice thing is like Professor said, not everybody needs wireless. I'm sitting behind a big Hammond B3, so I ain't going nowhere. I saved a ton of money by buying some Shure E2s and a little Rolls headphone amp. I hook that up to one of my aux sends and voila!

The drummer does the same. Our guitarist is the only one using wireless. For our needs, three aux sends do the trick nicely.
So are you using a custom molded setup, or just the little earbuds that come with most of the systems?

Edited to say: I just looked up the E2s, and they're the non-custom molded variety.

How do you wear them? One in, one ear plugged? Both in? How much stage volume are you dealing with?

Thanks!

www.dreamachinemusic.com

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:28 pm

I use them with both ears in. The foam inserts work well for me, since I'm used to regular foam earplugs. They block out a lot of stage noise, but then again we're not a particularily loud band.

The Shure E1s can be used with custom ear molds and they might be the way to go. I've been debating on picking some up and getting some custom molds made, just to have even more protection.

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:31 pm

It looks like the E3s can be used with custom ear molds... and at $180 seem to be a decent deal.

Sounds like it might be the way to go.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

Professor

Post by Professor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:28 pm

If you're already used to custom moulds then that's probably going to be the way to go for everyone. And you already know that it isn't a big hassle to get 'em done.

-J

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 pm

I've had E2's for a bit over a year and absolutely love them. (Use them with my iPod mainly). At the AES this year I paid $90 for some custom molds for them and they work great. I like them even more now.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:21 pm

A word on molds and plugs... I talked to several people at AES, I didn't trust guys who were molding onsite, especially since they were trying to sell an herbal remedy for tenitus called RingStop!!

I just went today to get molded for sensaphonics. They are much better made, and the audiologists who I've talked to that sell them have been the nicest to talk to. And I think they are the company shure recommends. I'm looking into E3s myself.