Adding 8 inputs to a Digi002

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theenvycorps
ass engineer

Adding 8 inputs to a Digi002

Post by theenvycorps » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:22 pm

I am looking into adding 8 inputs to my Digi002 rig. I have never used ADAT lightpipe so I'm not completely certain what all I need to get it running. My budget is pretty flexible...what are people out there having good luck with?

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:44 pm

All you need is the light pipe, which you can get for less than $20 anywhere. It's a simple optical cable. Once you connect it to the ADAT it will allow you to assign the "In" as "ADAT 1, 2, etc...". The ADAT X-20's go for $250 or less on eBay.

Check the DUC for details. I am running the same deal right now.

AidO)))
ass engineer

Post by AidO))) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:49 am

Your choices!!!

SM AUDIO (forget model...wouldnt touch it anyways)
Behringer ADA8000 (only product worth buyin from Behry)
M-Audio Octane
Focusrite Octopre/OctopreLE (crap & crap)
Presonus Digimax LT (meant to be cool/coloured...i dunno)
Mackie Onyx (heard good reviews..i dunno!!)
Audient (forget name, way over priced anyways...Ta basically...FORGET)

I think RME do one aswell,but i havnt searched!
Either that or go with the ADAT X-20,sounds cool for the price...all ya haveta do is hunt one down!!!

Or you can get some convertor like the Apogee stuff (plenty of other options) & buy GOOD PRE'S instead, or use a mixer with it till ya get good pre's!!!
I DONT CARE ABOUT A 00G.A.Y!!

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:25 am

i use a motu 2408 as my extra 8 ins via lightpipe. it works fine.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:01 am

I use the Alesis AI-3 for the extra 8 inputs and it works really nicely. also nice for 16 outputs if you like to mix outside the box.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:09 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:I use the Alesis AI-3 for the extra 8 inputs and it works really nicely. also nice for 16 outputs if you like to mix outside the box.
same here.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:39 am

trodden wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:I use the Alesis AI-3 for the extra 8 inputs and it works really nicely. also nice for 16 outputs if you like to mix outside the box.
same here.
does it bug you that you can only go up to 24/48 with the AI-3 trodden?

I just finished a record that was the first one I've recorded at that rate and even though I really liked using my boards EQ's and outboard gear, it was a little flatter than the 24/96 recordings I've done.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:49 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:
trodden wrote:
same here.

I just finished a record that was the first one I've recorded at that rate and even though I really liked using my boards EQ's and outboard gear, it was a little flatter than the 24/96 recordings I've done.
well.. not really. I've never done a 24/96 recording and have been doing it either on tape of 24/44.1 on the digi 001 since i've started. so i'm a bit out of the loop. My mixes did improve when i started to bring it out of the box for some elements. recordings also started to improve when i got some better pre amps and a better board. I'm finding the need to improve on other things rather than upgrading the digi unit. 001 and the 002 seem like the same thing to me because of my ignorance of higher recording rates and i really can't and wont ever be able to afford an HD system.

HOwever, i was wondering about getting something else besides the ai3 but the convertor world is confusing and i don't trust people and ad campains. so i went with something i knew "worked". I think i'd get a better clock before trying different converters.. but hell, i'm sure the digi 001 converters are considered "subpar" by todays standards. I just wish it did NOT have those two stupid pre's on the damn thing.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:52 am

Oh i should add.. i'm on a digi 001, not an 002. just noticed that the original post was in reference to the 002.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:08 pm

trodden wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:
trodden wrote:
same here.

I think i'd get a better clock before trying different converters.. but hell, i'm sure the digi 001 converters are considered "subpar" by todays standards. I just wish it did NOT have those two stupid pre's on the damn thing.
the clock upgrade is the biggest improvement I've made since using nice external pre's, the mini-me is clocking my 002 and doing all my overdub conversion, and it rocks. You can find them for a grand if you look hard enough, I called the Apogee folks and they actually FOUND me one for cheap!

joaquin
audio school graduate

Post by joaquin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi there!!
I have exellent results using a ISA 428 thru the ADAT input and clocking my 002 to it. The AD if far superior to the 002's, and when this last one is clocked to the 428...I think it sound much better.
Good luck.................Joaquin.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:32 pm

joaquin wrote:Hi there!!
I have exellent results using a ISA 428 thru the ADAT input and clocking my 002 to it. The AD if far superior to the 002's, and when this last one is clocked to the 428...I think it sound much better.
Good luck.................Joaquin.
i was considering one of those... with the AD/DA card its 8 channels of conversion and 4 mic pres correct?

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:36 pm

...regardless of what converter you use, though, the 002's ADAT in is limited to 44.1/48, correct? Is there an ADAT converter that'd allow me 16 inputs all at full 88.2 w/o upsampling?

joaquin
audio school graduate

Post by joaquin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:34 pm

trodden wrote:i was considering one of those... with the AD/DA card its 8 channels of conversion and 4 mic pres correct?
Yes.
The converters are supposed to be the equivalent to the ones in the 192i from Digi.