Movin' up... help with some upgrades!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Movin' up... help with some upgrades!

Post by weatherbox » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:40 pm

I've worked on the room - maximized the space, building bass traps and panels, practiced my techniques and experimented. Most recent project came out pretty good; I'm looking to slowly upgrade equipment to gear I'm going to use and love for years.

Currently running UA 2108, FMR RNP/RNC, Langevin DVC into an 002r with an ancient 8 channel Soundcraft 200 to mix on. Lucid ad9624 converter, Event PS8 monitors. For mics, a KSM27, 2 SM57, 2 Baby Bottle, ATM25, MD421, Royer 121. I'm really pretty happy with most of the sounds I'm getting - I'd like to have a few more general options, would like to better my snare/OH drum sounds, and beef up my vocal chain.

I'm a little overwhelmed where to start. There's nowhere local I'm aware of to try lots of gear out, and even with good trial periods many merchants offer... guidance is good. I'm looking to over the next few months get 2 great preamp channels in and a new vocal mic - hopefully a Distressor and pair of SDCs as well.

Looking at the 1U Averill API dual channel or potentially lunchbox modules (in hopes of someday budgeting in those delicious EQs...,) or some combination of TAB v78, Phoenix DRS-1, or Great River ME-1NV. Potentiall Chandler TG2 but that's really cutting into my mic budget, which is leaning to a Soundelux u195 or MG930 - will probably order both and do a little shootout here. Distressor and pair pf KSM141s in a few months when financially possible.

I am not looking to sell any current preamps, though will likely sell one of the Baby Bottles and potentially the KSM27, though I may keep it just for sentimental value - tremendous mileage out of that mic! I typically track as much of the band live as possible and then overdub additional guitars/keys/vocals. I like to get gear that's going to work on many sources, but I'm getting to where I feel okay to have a channel or two that's really specialized towards one or two things. Getting drums that are more present in attack and low end will be a priority (I imagine once my room treatments are done, this will also help me get more out of the kit) but having a more colorful pre for vocals than the shimmering DVC would be nice as well, and being primarily a guitarist... well, you get the point. There are a lot of options out there, and I've personally pulled it down to these. Your input on this gear or any other pieces you'd suggest would be greatly appreciated.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:52 pm

hey
look at "the next legendary mic pre" thread , n look at what joel has to say bout the elctro harmonix mic pre $189... sounding like a $2000+ mic pre.. thats my next purchase, they ve also hinted at making a 4 channel rack mountable one with better power supply. mic pre s are usually the weekest link to hobbiest such as myself, n they do make a difference.
is it beer 30 yet?????