Building a rack space

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

surf's up
pushin' record

Building a rack space

Post by surf's up » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:00 am

Im reaching the point where I really need more rack space, probably around 16U, and damn those things are expensive, even for just a simple wood frame. Im thinking it would be cheaper and not too difficult to just build my own. Is there any profound reason why I SHOULDNT try it? Anything I should know that might make the process easier?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Building a rack space

Post by inverseroom » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:34 am

drewkon wrote:Im reaching the point where I really need more rack space, probably around 16U, and damn those things are expensive, even for just a simple wood frame. Im thinking it would be cheaper and not too difficult to just build my own. Is there any profound reason why I SHOULDNT try it? Anything I should know that might make the process easier?
It's hard to imagine an easier studio project! I've made two of them out of 2x4's and rack rail and casters...they're functionally identical to the rolling racks from Musician's Friend and way sturdier. Just triple-check your measurements so the stuff will actually fit...

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:24 am

I've made them with just 1 x 6 pine screwed together edgewise, and then just drill holes into the wood to mount the gear. Inverse is right about the sizing, you start with the theory that all gear is 19" wide, and you need a 17 1/2" space. Every so often something is 17 1/2" wide and then the sheet metal screws that hold it together add another 1/16" to each side.

It can add a real custom look to your studio if you stain them some cool reddish color and finish it with polyurethane, if you've got any woodworking skills at all. Something primal about stained and finished wood.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Stained, finished wood + music electronics = hot shit.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:56 am

Yeah like Inverse said, the cheap 2x4's left over from framing my wall and the cheapest plywood from home depot and some rack rails. I'm no carpenter, but they came out nice, just get stoned and spend an evening sanding them nice and smooth, no more splinters!!, borrow a router if possible to make the edges nice, then stain, and finish with a polyurathane sealent, sand again with a fine fine grit, and another coat of finish.. really nice looking. I built the table the mixer is on as well as the two rack units below, picture isn't the best, but if you need, i can take some more and email to you..

mfdu
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mfdu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:52 pm

not that anyone is recommending the use of the 'erb, jah?

but my, it does help with the focus on those fiddly little jobs. or so i've heard.

if you buy the rackrails, the hardest bit is done for you - the vertical spacing from unit to unit. there is also the thing of (supposedly) screwing the boxes into metal rackrails will ensure a consistent grounding and minimise the dreaded power-hum.

:)

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:06 am

Hey trodden your studio furniture is beautiful!! its that really just stud grad 2x4. And i think you can call yourself a carpenter after building those!

I built about a 16 spacer. It was really easy, with the right tools, table saw, router, good glue, senco brad nailer. Had a friend with small speaker factory (hand built). I used some MDF that was left on the roadside (incredible find).
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:18 am

Cyan421 wrote:Hey trodden your studio furniture is beautiful!! its that really just stud grad 2x4. And i think you can call yourself a carpenter after building those!

I built about a 16 spacer. It was really easy, with the right tools, table saw, router, good glue, senco brad nailer. Had a friend with small speaker factory (hand built). I used some MDF that was left on the roadside (incredible find).
Thanks! yep, stud grade 2X4's and the cheap shit plywood that you use to board up your windows. like $12 for huge sheet. Most of the supplies were found from debris piles or leftovers from when i built a few walls. I think i got the 14 space rack rails in there. I could have designed them differently to squeeze in another 4 or 5 spaces each but went for the "sturdy and nice looking" approach in the design. I really should put casters on them cause my beer gut is having a hard time squeezing back there... (need to incorporate patchbays!!!!damnit)

Didn't lose a finger or get a dread lock caught in the radial saw like my girlfriend was so very scared would happen. But i didn't start smoking pot until after all the pieces were cut. Plus turning 30 at the time, felt it was time to grow up (a little) and start buying power tools and walking around the house with a dust mask on.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:50 am

haha powertools and dust maskes are very grown up, but dont forget about the ear plugs (or ipod and good cans with lotsa rejection) and eye protection, especially while sanding, ouch!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:47 pm

I made a couple when I built my studio. And yes, once you have the rack rails all you need to do is make sure your measurements are correct.
I went the extra mile and bought a few yards of that black material that covers many of those portable rack units from a local sound shop, so other than the corners not having those rubber pads...they are identical to store bought.
However, to validate the measurement comment... when I screwed everything together (tightly), one of the racks is a bit too narrow at the top and I had to do some reworking in order to fit my stuff!
Oh, I also painted the wood on the interior black just to give it that finished look. I saved a couple hundred dollars easy.

adrianpike
audio school

Post by adrianpike » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:52 pm

Where's a good place to purchase rails?

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:00 pm

You can buy them just about anywhere, like here, or be a total cheapskate and get some angle iron, a drill, and a 10-32 tap.

Its funny that when a guy turns 30, power tools all of a sudden become a very important part of your life!
my band: Mission 5

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:03 pm

BTW- I've built a couple of cheapo racks without the rails, just screw the gear straight into the sides.
my band: Mission 5

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:52 pm

I've been meaning to post some more pictures and i'm looking for scrap of paper with my "plans" as well to scan and post.

I totally lucked out with mine working out... I was really afraid after putting the things together that i'd have the problem crooked sound had.

whats the rule, "measure twice, cut once" or something? "drink beer, measure, and make a shitty crooked cut" was more like it for me.

iamredarrow
ass engineer

Post by iamredarrow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:41 pm

I'm trying to remember if I've ever bought studio furniturel. My rack (even angled to be easier to reach as it gets closer to the floor! Fancy!), desk, speaker stands, and a cab or two are all hand-made.

I won't say they're better, but I've yet to break them and they were made from construction-site remnants.