Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Stephen
steve albini likes it

DO NOT BUY STEINBERG ANYTHING!!!

Post by Stephen » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:54 am

Perhaps someone can help...
I few years back I bought and installed Steinberg Wavelab 3.0
Anyone who has this softeware knows that you have to occasionally use the CD-Rom to verify authentic ownership. Here's my problem: When I put the disc in my drive the software doesn't recognise it. The program just shuts down. I have tried emailing the company but they won't reply. Does anyone have any idea what my options are here?
Is there any way to either a: contact the company (which appears to be based in Germany) or b: hold them accountable for what is technically a breach of contract?
Either way don't buy any Steinberg crap until I get this resolved or you might get hosed like I am.
Pax, Steve
Last edited by Stephen on Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:46 pm

Well, a couple of computer solutions might work.

If you are on XP, try a roll-back.

If not, try to restore a backup.

If you can't, try to re-install over itself.

If that doesn't work, uninstall (and I recommend a good cleaning of both the left over files and the registry) and reinstall.

If that doesn't work, I recommend Cool Edit Pro 2.1, which has been very cheap on EBay, and which I chose over Wavelab 4.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: HELP!!!!

Post by hammertime » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:58 pm

I had the exact same problem with Steinberg's Lm-4, which came out at about the same time. I didn't even bother, because I subsequently bought other software that was better. I've had other problems with their dongle on Cubase. I feel the same way about Steinberg -- the software's pretty good, but the accounting/legal office is run by paranoid assholes who hate their customers. Personally, I stopped buying Steinberg's shit.
Stephen wrote:Perhaps someone can help...
I few years back I bought and installed Steinberg Wavelab 3.0
Anyone who has this softeware knows that you have to occasionally use the CD-Rom to verify authentic ownership. Here's my problem: When I put the disc in my drive the software doesn't recognise it. The program just shuts down. I have tried emailing the company but they won't reply. Does anyone have any idea what my options are here?
Is there any way to either a: contact the company (which appears to be based in Germany) or b: hold them accountable for what is technically a breach of contract?
Either way don't buy any Steinberg crap until I get this resolved or you might get hosed like I am.
Pax, Steve

Randy
tinnitus

Re: HELP!!!!

Post by Randy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:12 pm

hammertime wrote: Personally, I stopped buying Steinberg's shit.
Their instruments were shitty too. Not only did they have no redeeming sound qualities, they used strings that were not standard, so you were up a creek if you broke one and didn't have a Steinberg authorized dealer in town.

Divest yourself of them as fast as you can.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:05 am

vvv wrote:Well, a couple of computer solutions might work.

If that doesn't work, uninstall (and I recommend a good cleaning of both the left over files and the registry) and reinstall.

If that doesn't work, I recommend Cool Edit Pro 2.1, which has been very cheap on EBay, and which I chose over Wavelab 4.
I am running 2k and tried the basic overwrite. That failed. I am not sure which registry files would be theirs. Perhaps somone could help this neo-ludite out???
Pax, Steve

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:59 am

Just do a google search for Steinberg, US or North America , customer support -- some email or number should turn up. They should give you another C.D. If they get sassy, get the name of the guy you're talking to, and threaten to use his name on every audio forum in existence under the topic "shitty support." (I've done this before, and it usually works).
Stephen wrote:

I am running 2k and tried the basic overwrite. That failed. I am not sure which registry files would be theirs. Perhaps somone could help this neo-ludite out???
Pax, Steve

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:07 am

One more thing. The problem I had with the Lm-4 cd, which is probably the same problem you're having with your Wavelab cd, I think is a problem with the cd itself. I tried reinstalling -- no good. I reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled windows -- no good. I tried loading it on my other computers -- no good. Therefore, a registry tweak isn't going to any good. They should just give you another c.d., and they're probably not going to give you any shit because the problem is so common.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:32 am

I've been thinking about this, and I guess the quickest way you could determine whether the c.d. is fucked up is installing on another computer (you can always uninstall it). So if you have another p.c. (or maybe a friend) -- doesn't have to be a music p.c. If it doesn't install you know it's the c.d. The Steinberg c.d. I have is the only c.d. I can think of, with no sign of external damage, where this has happened. If it doesn't install on another computer, then they owe you a new c.d.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:17 am

hammertime wrote:I've been thinking about this, and I guess the quickest way you could determine whether the c.d. is fucked up is installing on another computer (you can always uninstall it). So if you have another p.c. (or maybe a friend) -- doesn't have to be a music p.c. If it doesn't install you know it's the c.d. The Steinberg c.d. I have is the only c.d. I can think of, with no sign of external damage, where this has happened. If it doesn't install on another computer, then they owe you a new c.d.
I unstalled and reinstalled no problem.. But is wouldld not recognize the disc to register the program.
Pax, Steve

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:02 pm

Well, if the CD is good, you may need to clean the registry.

Norton, that hated program, is very good for this.

You can try to search the registry for every entry under "Steinberg" and/or "Wavelab"; I would also look for the name of every *.exe and *.dll in the registry and delete the reference. Back up first! If you delete a reference to a shared *.dll (say, a MS one) you could really mess up your computer, so do this only if you have good back-up and know (more or less) what you are doing.

But I tell you the above that you understand this recommendation:
I have seen freebie registry-logging and installation-logging programs on the net. The idea is, you start one of those program and re-install, taking note of the canges the installation made; this may allow you to find the problematic registry entry. (This is part of what the Norton programs do and how they work.)

Note also that some programs installal *.dll or *.inf or other file which the program references to check date, registration, etc. These can be very hard to find, and especially if you are trying to track them once they are previously installed because they can be protected and thus are not overwritten on the re-install. The best way to find these is by date of either the original installation, or by matching the "creation" or "modification" date of the programs files, ex., the "creation" or "modification" date of the *.exe file.

Always back up before playing with the registry, and keep copies of any files you remove until you are sure you don't need them!

You might get lucky and find what you are looking for rather quickly, or you could end up like I often have with all kinds of esoteric knowledge that doesn't usually help. :lol:

A hard-drive wipe and clean install might be easier if you are in a semi-hurry...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:28 am

Hello Steve,

I'm sorry but we no longer have any replacement discs for Wavelab 3 because it is a discontinued product. If you are registered for Wavelab
3, you can order the upgrade to Wavelab 5 at www.steinbergupgrades.com. Wavelab 3 is not designed to work on Windows XP but Wavelab 5 is.
Thank you.

Chris Dobbs
Steinberg Support

Steinberg US Support
steinbergussupport@yamaha.com
www.steinbergusers.com
www.steinbergupgrades.com
www.steinberg.net
This is their response. It is lame and looks like they did not carefully read what I have sent to them.
So... I have sent back a rather terse reply. If I do not hear from them tom my satisfaction, then I will change the name of this thread to: DON'T EVER BUY ANY STEINBERG PRODUCTS.
Pax, Steve

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:42 am

Stephen wrote:
Hello Steve,

I'm sorry but we no longer have any replacement discs for Wavelab 3 because it is a discontinued product. If you are registered for Wavelab
3, you can order the upgrade to Wavelab 5 at www.steinbergupgrades.com. Wavelab 3 is not designed to work on Windows XP but Wavelab 5 is.
Thank you.

Chris Dobbs
Steinberg Support

Steinberg US Support
www.steinbergusers.com
www.steinberg.net
This is their response. It is lame and looks like they did not carefully read what I have sent to them.
So... I have sent back a rather terse reply. If I do not hear from them tom my satisfaction, then I will change the name of this thread to: DON'T EVER BUY ANY STEINBERG PRODUCTS.
Pax, Steve
that's horseshit. you're dealing with incompetence.

go to cubase.net and register. then send a private message to PG, the Wavelab developer. He's been very helpful in the past.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:07 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hello Steve,

Thank you.

Chris Dobbs
Steinberg Support

Steinberg US Support
www.steinbergusers.com
www.steinberg.net
Pax, Steve
that's horseshit. you're dealing with incompetence.

go to cubase.net and register. then send a private message to PG, the Wavelab developer. He's been very helpful in the past.
Thank you. I have signed up and sent him a PM. I apprecieate your time and effort here.
In fact, thanks to all who have replied.
Pax, Steve

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:40 am

Wow - that makes me really happy I'm not upgrading any of Steinberg's shit. Even Microsoft gives you a new disc if your old one is fucked up.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:39 pm

Update:
After five email's and numerous reinstalls, this is how it got left...
If this still does not work, a fresh Win2000 install could help. But this is work and time.
You could also wait for the upcoming WaveLab 6, which use a different protection.
i/e failure...
So I have useless software and am out the dough I spent on it.
THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH, STEINBERG
Pax, Steve (an extremely unsatisfied customer.)