DO NOT BUY STEINBERG ANYTHING!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:05 pm

Or you could download a perfectly functioning crack off of the p2ps (ha ha).

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 pm

I dunno man, I've had nothing but good luck with Steinburgs stuff over the years. They're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better then CrapiDesign when it comes to support. Things have been a little nutty since Yamaha bought them but really, they're no worse then anyone else including Motu or Sonic Foundry/Sony.

When you're running a DAW you gotta kind of expect things to get wonky now & then, especially if the DAW is on the internet & being used as a general computer for everything including writing letters to Grandma lol. My rig doesn't touch the outside world for any reason including software updates. If & when I do update software I generally drag it over with a USB memory stick or burn a CD. That way if & when the rig does crash (because lets face it, any DAW could crash at anytime for any reason) I know it's NOT because of spyware, a viruis or something really dumb.

It sucks that your CD isn't working, but are really 120% sure it's the CD and not the drive? Even if it is the CD, yah...bummer that Steinburg can't supply you with a new one but really dude...Wavelab 3 was released in what, 1998 or something??? :shock: :lol: You'd be doing yourself a favor to spend the $100 or whatever they want for an upgrade. It's only been seven years!

Or just hunt around Ebay for a used copy...look here's one for $100 with a WHOLE Paris rig & patachbays!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/Paris-EMU-Ensoniq-D ... dZViewItem

Peace,
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

nolan
audio school graduate

Post by nolan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:50 am

I completely agree with the first half of that last post -- I too *refuse* to hook up my DAW to the outside world for any reason. I've got that box running 8in, 8out, 24/96 and i don't want ANYthing screwing up my projects. It doesn't have a mode or NIC in the box anywhere, and I go extra lengths to turn off any weird Windows options, to squeeze a bit more stability and reliablity out of the machine.

As far as the comment about "upgrade the software, it's been 8 years", there are some studios (and i probably subscribe to this theory at times myself) that believe "if it aint broke, don't fix it". A studio I deal with a lot still uses Orchestrator Pro for much of his tracking and initial mixing...this is software that shipped on a single 3.5" floopy many years ago. But honestly for editing, it's at least as easy to use as ProTools, if not moreso.

2 cents.

Groovedog
audio school graduate

Post by Groovedog » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:31 pm

"If that doesn't work, I recommend Cool Edit Pro 2.1, which has been very cheap on EBay, and which I chose over Wavelab 4."

I second the suggestion about Cool Edit Pro 2.1. I have had nothing but good experiences with that software. I don't hear much about people using it on this forum and am glad when I find another person referring to it in a positive light.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:29 am

Groovedog wrote:"If that doesn't work, I recommend Cool Edit Pro 2.1, which has been very cheap on EBay, and which I chose over Wavelab 4."

I second the suggestion about Cool Edit Pro 2.1. I have had nothing but good experiences with that software. I don't hear much about people using it on this forum and am glad when I find another person referring to it in a positive light.
I have had good luck with Cool Edit Pro.
And the Steinberg folks (IMHO) still suck dogdick. DON'T BUY THEIR SHIT. THEY TREATED ME LIKE A PIECE OF CRAP.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

gitgrinder69
audio school graduate

Post by gitgrinder69 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:27 pm

Think about it this way. I drive a 1966 Ford Mustang. If something breaks it can be very difficult to find parts, some having not been made in 20 years or more. Do I respond to this by saying that Ford sucks? No, the cost for a company to continue to provide support for every single product they have ever produced would be astronomical. It stinks that they have been rude to you, but the software you have IS outdated. I imagine that if I tried to get tech support for some of the programs I used on my Commodore 64 I would run into much the same problem.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:45 pm

Seriously, why are you pissed at Steinberg for not supporting an old piece of software when there have been multiple updates since then? Try getting support for Photoshop 4.0 from Adobe. It won't happen. Does that mean Adobe sucks?

zthomas
audio school

Post by zthomas » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:39 pm

jmoose wrote:I dunno man, I've had nothing but good luck with Steinburgs stuff over the years. They're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better then CrapiDesign when it comes to support.
OT:

I haven't confirmed this, but I think that Digidesign (or crapidesign, as you put it..) just bought Steinburg over the summer.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:59 pm

As I understand it, Steinberg was bought by Pinnacle Systems in '03, and Pinnacle Systems is owned by Avid, who also owns Digidesign and M-Audio. So, yeah, same parent company.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:19 pm

No, Steinberg is now owned by Yamaha.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:24 pm

Well, how 'bout that. Learn something new every day.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:24 pm

nolan wrote:As far as the comment about "upgrade the software, it's been 8 years", there are some studios (and i probably subscribe to this theory at times myself) that believe "if it aint broke, don't fix it". A studio I deal with a lot still uses Orchestrator Pro for much of his tracking and initial mixing...this is software that shipped on a single 3.5" floopy many years ago.
Totally.

I ran the same DAW for what seemed like eons until my business needs finally outgrew the capabilities. It was a PIII 500 with Logic 3, Sound Forge & CD Architect 4, Adat Edit & Lucid PCI cards blah blah on Windows 98. Worked great from the day I rolled it together to this summer when I rebuilt it into my office PC and got the new rig. Sure, there were times when things SUCKED. Like Apple buying Logic...I got tossed under the bus with buggy software on that one. Or after burning over 1000 CD's the burner died so I bought a new one and installed that. Problem solved right? Not really. At that point in time CDA was so old (like two or three years) that Sound Forge hadn't written new drivers so it would recognize the new generation of burners. Oops. I finally got it to work with a lot of hoop jumping and assistance from several people who went through the same batch of bullshit but it was always a little buggy. Yeah I bitched about it but there was nothing I could do about it short of replacing the program with something entirely different.

Really, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you never really OWN software...you just kinda' rent it for a while. Yah it no doubt sucks a lot when a piece goes belly up and isn't supported anymore or is rendered obsolete for whatever reasons, but them's the breaks. If you want to continue to work and have clients hanging on the line, do you bend over and shell out for the upgrade or do you tell 'em you?re using seven year old software that doesn?t work anymore and THAT?s the reason the project isn?t done?!? I mean really man...get over it.

When it breaks, like it did in this guys case...you fix it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they suggest trying a fresh install of the OS? That's usually the first thing any computer tech is going to try when everything else fails...
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

phill2796
audio school graduate

Re: DO NOT BUY STEINBERG ANYTHING!!!

Post by phill2796 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Stephen wrote:Perhaps someone can help...
I few years back I bought and installed Steinberg Wavelab 3.0
Anyone who has this softeware knows that you have to occasionally use the CD-Rom to verify authentic ownership. Here's my problem: When I put the disc in my drive the software doesn't recognise it. The program just shuts down. I have tried emailing the company but they won't reply. Does anyone have any idea what my options are here?
Is there any way to either a: contact the company (which appears to be based in Germany) or b: hold them accountable for what is technically a breach of contract?
Either way don't buy any Steinberg crap until I get this resolved or you might get hosed like I am.
Pax, Steve
Just because you had one problem with Steinberg that is most likely a hardware fault or yours you think I should not buy there stuff.
I have Nuendo 3 and many other Steinberg apps and have had few problems. I use my studio to make a living and would not use there products if they did not work.
Phillp Boshers
AudioGram Pro
Nashville Tn.

audioarts
audio school

Steinberg

Post by audioarts » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 am

I've been a very satisfied Steinberg user for the past 7-8 years. Never had any problems getting support either (other than the occasional long wait time). Email me your addresss offline and I will "loan" you my Wavelabe 3.0 CD. The latest version of Wavelab is a huge improvement over 3.0. I've tried virtually every other "mastering" program on the market and so far nothing is as comprehensive or user friendly as Wavelab. Only wish they had a version for Mac!

Stephen wrote:Update:
After five email's and numerous reinstalls, this is how it got left...
If this still does not work, a fresh Win2000 install could help. But this is work and time.
You could also wait for the upcoming WaveLab 6, which use a different protection.
i/e failure...
So I have useless software and am out the dough I spent on it.
THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH, STEINBERG
Pax, Steve (an extremely unsatisfied customer.)
Jeff Miller
Engineer
Audio Arts Productions
Arlington, TX

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Re: DO NOT BUY STEINBERG ANYTHING!!!

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:38 am

phill2796 wrote:
Stephen wrote:Perhaps someone can help...
I few years back I bought and installed Steinberg Wavelab 3.0
Anyone who has this softeware knows that you have to occasionally use the CD-Rom to verify authentic ownership. Here's my problem: When I put the disc in my drive the software doesn't recognise it. The program just shuts down. I have tried emailing the company but they won't reply. Does anyone have any idea what my options are here?
Is there any way to either a: contact the company (which appears to be based in Germany) or b: hold them accountable for what is technically a breach of contract?
Either way don't buy any Steinberg crap until I get this resolved or you might get hosed like I am.
Pax, Steve
Just because you had one problem with Steinberg that is most likely a hardware fault or yours you think I should not buy there stuff.
I have Nuendo 3 and many other Steinberg apps and have had few problems. I use my studio to make a living and would not use there products if they did not work.
My hardware is working fine. Steinberg treated me like shit. And to those of you with single digit IQ's who try to rationalize my being treated like shit by this company, I bought the software four years ago. I Paid $350.
It should work. I should be able to use it. It did work right up until it didn't. Their solution: "buy our upgrade." I already fucking bought what I wanted. I don't want their shitty upgrade.
Now basically the fault is in the disc and the company doesn't care about the fact that THEY have violated their own licensing agreement. Now maybe that's okay for you (you probably vote repubulihole as well) but for me that is being treated like garbage. I will never buy Steinberg anything (or Yamaha for that matter.) FUCK THEM IN THE ASS!
BTW: The only reason I deigning to responmd to your half-assed rationalisations is I want to bump this thread up so that anyone thinking of investing in software won't buy Steinberg.
SO DON"T BUY STEINBERG ANYTHING BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net