What Did You Work On Today? 11-27-05

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 11-27-05

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:35 am

Hope everyone in the States had a nice Thanksgiving. What did you work on today, today being Sunday, November 27th?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:30 am

I haven't worked on anything yet today except my aching back from sleeping on the sofa last nite. Fell out watching the Ranger game last nite but woke up in time to see the shoot out win at the end. THANK GOD HOCKEY IS BACK THIS YEAR!!!!!

Anyway, I have a session this afternoon. Tracking bass at 12:00. Working with a band right now whose bassist isn't that good. Could be with practice but right now isn't cutting it. Drums and main guitars are done, bass going today. I don't like working this way. I always do drums and bass together as I feel that "heavy" guitars are so dependent on the bass sound. But we'll see what happens. I'm sure it will all be fine. So far the band is really happy with everything.

The plus side of all of this is that the band got Brooklyn bassist Mike McGivor of the band Candiria to do the bass duties. I've worked with him in the past and not only is he a great player and easy to work with but a great guy. It's always a good time when I get to spend the day with him.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:39 am

Nothing today, but yesterday i was engineering for a post rock group, best drum sound i've had to date i think and realised how much i've learnt over the last few months and how that affects your inner confidence with dealing with any issues that may arise. A really good day.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:24 am

right now i'm trying to fix our 'feed' so that our show can be listed in itunes. it's a PITA.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:00 pm

today, i'm running two shows at my theater. just before i went in though, i made a call to a friend/client. myself and another engineer are collaborating on her project as sort of 'co-producers.' she's been playing guitar for about a year, but already finger picks better than i ever will, has a great voice, and writes these amazing songs. since she's totally new to all this, she asked for help from me and the other engineer. we will be doing most of the other instruments.

first off, this collaboration is AWESOME. its great working with this other guy, a great musician and an engineer probably a little more experienced than i. neither of us have done things like, "hm, maybe swtich that 414 from hypercardioid to a wider cardioid.....oh good, there's that guitar sound." we're working out of his new house, and both of us have other jobs. my theater job kept me from last weekend's sessions where they started on some vocals.

AAaaaaaaanyway, my work today was checking in with the artist and making sure she was comfortable with how things went last weekend, finding out she had tonsilitis and sliced her finger open, and just generally making her feel good that she has our support and interest. she was very grateful for the call, and we're looking forward to this friday's session.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:08 pm

My son the computer wizard decided to tear an old computer apart and reconstruct it into a CD player/hard drive player, so we built a cool wooden box to house the new machine in. Wooden boxes with electronic gear, as I think inverseroom pointed out, are just so cool, it's indescribable. Old world charm with space age performance. Or I guess we are "post-space age" now.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:06 pm

I finished the Hamptone Tube pre. A certain batch, I guess, were sent out with this weird Mogami cable which must have some sort of conductive coating on the outside of the inner insulation, so that it can short out a little bit on its way to and from the potentiometers. I replaced it with some other shielded cable and it works really well.

b

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Tracked some violin parts for a record we've been working on, then did a few rough mixes to see how things are sounding. Very happy so far, and I'm really starting to look forward to mixing this thing.

Did a buncha cable and gear maintenance this weekend too, so I'm set for a little bit on the backlog. That's always something to be thankful for...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:26 pm

Spent about 7 hours today working on guitar tracks for my brother Pete's new record. We tracked drums Wednesday and Saturday and they sound really good (I will not take any credit for that; the engineer at the studio where we tracked did an excellent job--he's an old family friend and did Pete's last record as well). Anyway, we ran my acoustic through Pete's Marshall and my Silvertone and got some nifty rhythm guitar stuff happening. I got to play with my R84 ribbon mic a whole bunch more than I have since I got it.

So, all in all a fun recording weekend.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:15 am

Went to Staples for some padded envelopes to send out the new CD and on the way home drove past Fireproof and checked to see if Adam threw anything out as he's tearing the place down. There on the sidewalk was a homemade wooden rolling floor rack. About 10-12 spaces. Cool! I grabbed it and threw it in the car. (It's really great to have a station wagon in NYC).

Now I have to figure out whether I can actually fit it through the hallway that leads to my studio. I might have to saw some wood off the rails at the base that hold the casters, cause they are about 22 inches and the narrow part of my hall is about 21. Bummer.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:34 am

Spent the last few days putting a JLM Audio 1290 kit together.Might post some photos in the DIY section soon.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:59 am

re-mixed a song i recorded a few months ago. Because i downloaded some new (free) au plugs; ssl listen mic compressor (which is cool but allready had that sort of effect on the drums), Digital fish fillets (cool distorted comp) and some others. the ssl listen mic comp sounded just like i though it would, but was a lot dirtyer than i remebered the ssl stereo bus compressor. Still looking for a good stereo 'loudener'.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:28 am

Cyan421 wrote:the ssl listen mic comp sounded just like i though it would, but was a lot dirtyer than i remebered the ssl stereo bus compressor.
it's not supposed to sound like an ssl stereo bus compressor. it's supposed to sound like the ssl listen mic compresssor.

it's definitely a one trick pony. but, it's good at that trick.

I'd keep it away from the stereo bus unless you're trying to destroy a mix for special effect.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:07 pm

Finished up part one of a session I am producing with Michel Gondry, and MC Paul Barman..... Mixing the last song on the new Dub Trio record, which features Mike Patton on vocals for this one song. He really rocked it.