Getting to 16 Ins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Getting to 16 Ins

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:54 pm

I currently use a MOTU 896HD as my primary audio interface, which gives me 8 analog ins. I'm looking to add another 8 channels, and trying to determine the best way to go.

I need to stay with Firewire because I use a laptop occasionally. I don't record at high sample rates. Usually I'm at 24-bit/44.1K. I may go to 48K, but not likely to be higher than that. Here are my options as I see it:

1. Add another 896HD.

2. Add an 8-channel preamp that has ADAT outs which I could send to the ADAT ins on the 896HD. Maybe the Presonus Digimax96K? Focusrite OctoPre? Mackie Onyx 800R?

(Whatever I decide, I'll also be adding a Big Ben to keep things in sync.)

So, given my wish list, what do you think is the best way to go? Also, for people using Firewire, do you have any problems running 16 channels simultaneously? I know my computer can handle it, but I'm not sure about the Firewire bus. Anyone have any direct experience with multiple 896HD's?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:32 am

I, personally would just get a better 8 channel interface and clock to that. Like getting an apogee rosetta and clocking to it.

Just my opinion, though... You would get better conversion, and a better clock that way.

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Getting to 16 Ins

Post by pscottm » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:38 am

John Jeffers wrote: Also, for people using Firewire, do you have any problems running 16 channels simultaneously? I know my computer can handle it, but I'm not sure about the Firewire bus. Anyone have any direct experience with multiple 896HD's?

i run (2) metric halo MIOs for 16 inputs/outputs plus an additional 2.5 porta drive that has all my samples on it, all via FW, and have not had any probs. i would never put this much stuff on the FW buss if the devices were bus-powered but since i'm powering w AC it's no prob.

chances are, the limiting factor will be your drive speed/health and CPU limit. the FW bus is a bigger pipe than what most 2.5" drives can handle. i'd estimate that you could quadruple your FW activity and still not have probs on the FW bus if all else is healthy.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:29 am

I'd personally get a lynx aurora, which is comparable in sound quality to a rosetta but cheaper, and made by a much cooler company.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:07 am

Hammertime, I looked at the Auroras, but they don't do firewire.

pscottm, thanks for the input about FW.

Joel, what's wrong with the 896's converters? Not trying to be confrontational, I would really like to know what I'm missing.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:44 am

I think you should go with another 8 ch mic pre like the presounous or the mackie. Mostly because I would like to hear those compared to the 896HD. I compared the 896's pres to the mackie pres in the 8 bus console (vlz?) and the mackies were way nicer, fuller lows. The motu's were bright and brittle.

Hey pscottm, what daw are you using with your metric halo converters??
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:18 am

John Jeffers wrote:Joel, what's wrong with the 896's converters? Not trying to be confrontational, I would really like to know what I'm missing.
nothing's wrong with them. but, they'd certainly be considered "mid level"
and, MOTU converters can definitely be improved with an apogee clock.

The Presonus, Focusrite and Mackie would all be a step down from your MOTU box.

They also all include mic preamps. It's not clear from your post whether you need the preamps or not.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:20 am

Sorry for not being clear. I don't need preamps as I have some good ones (UA 2108, Great River MP-2NV, Sytek MPX-4a), and right now I'm bypassing the preamps on the 896. Still, it's nice to have the option if I want to do some location recording with minimal equipment.

That's one reason I was considering a multi-channel pre w/ADAT, so I could at least have 8 decent pres in addition to the ones on the 896. But from what I'm hearing, all the options I'm considering are a step down from (or at least aren't better than) the pres in the 896.

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:06 am

you could get an alesis AI-3, which is basicly a $300 Adat light pipe 8 in/out addon.

Are you having any issues with your motu? I have the same thing but it buzzes on larger files going to disk, and has alot of skips on playback. I'm thinking of going back to PCI...

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:11 am

Ethan, no issues with mine. Thanks for the info on the AI-3.

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:14 am

no problem... Hey what are you useing for a firewire card? I'm wondering if that's my issue...

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:27 am

I don't remember the exact model, but it's an Adaptec PCI card w/3 FW ports. I also use it with a Dell Latitude laptop w/a PCMCIA FW card (Belkin, I think), and no problems with that, either. I'm using Windows XP on both of those computers.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:12 pm

The apogee converters are simply a step up from what you are using, and the clock is nicer. Best of both worlds (given your present situation).

Just my opinion.