Sx202 mod... anyone done it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Sx202 mod... anyone done it?

Post by phantom power » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:05 pm

I'd like to dive into this one as my first real mod (I don't count switching out socketed op-amps in an mp105). I've used a modded one as well as the unmodded and I really prefer the modded sound. Any help/opinions at all would be much appreciated. -AE

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:13 pm

hey aaron,

ed anderson, who posts here under his name, did mine. i'm sure he knows...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:55 pm

i've done a buncha the mods. ed helped me order the bits....

whacha need help with? i did a lot of the monte mods.. if you do the google groups search you can find them all. i have a bunch pics somewhere too outlining all of it. lemmie look

i think it sounds better with mods, but i dont have an unmodded one to compare it to...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:07 pm

will this help?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 am

Eeldip is rules.

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:26 am

trodden wrote:Eeldip is rules.
i'll second that. been meaning to make some marked up pix like that myself. here's one of mine without any extra info.

feel free to ask any questions; i will do my best to answer.

ed

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:59 am

thats funny, ed send me either that picture or a picture like it when i asked about the sx202 mod. uh.. YEARS ago.

i put that on my desktop at work to encourage myself to do the project.

thanks ed.

your caps are bigger than mine.

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:18 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry it took so long to get back. My internet access has been limited lately. I'm kinda homeless. Not really but, anyway.

Here's the story. I got my sx202 from ebay and when it came, it came without a PS and the wrong manual. Once I got the PS and powered it up, I noticed that the lights (power/48v) were slowly pulsing. Wierd. It passed signal. The 1st ch is a little noisy but the 2nd sounds good. Also, this one looks different than my friend's (Dwelle). Mine has a small plastic plug in the hole where the polarity switch should be and the I/O on the back looks a little different. It came with a pre-drilled plate for rack mounting and the other side of it looks like it was for something else. The holes on the first half are different than the second half. So without this thing in there, the sx202 face plate doesn't fit right. It butts up against the base of the LEDs so it can't be screwed all the way down.

So that's the description. I'd like to get it in tip top shape but I don't know where to start. I could probably get some pics up if that would help anyone identify what the hell is going on with this thing.

Thanks again for the replies. -AE

inky
studio intern

Can't even get it open....

Post by inky » Fri May 26, 2006 11:10 am

Ok, I managed to pick up an SX202 for reasonably cheap. I'm all set to do the mods but, here's the embarassing thing - I can't get the case open!

How on earth do you open these things?

Mine came with the two chassis mounting XLR connectors on the rear panel (these were riveted on) and three 1/4 jack "out"s. I carefully tapped the heads of the rivets off the XLR jacks and they are separate now. However, the XLR connectors are still holding the back/top panel onto the PCB and preventing me from removing it. Any ideas?

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Fri May 26, 2006 11:28 am

maybe yours is different, but for most sx202s, you have to stick a small flathead screwdriver into the extra hole in the XLR to get it to release from the case. when i say extra, i mean there should be a fourth hole, apart from the usual 3 holes for the 3 pins of the xlr. at least that's what i remember.

ed

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Don't force them

Post by LewKellogg » Fri May 26, 2006 11:59 am

Yea, there is a small hole. It is very easy to get it to open (not much force) so if you're tapping or using a lot of pressure you're in the wrong place.
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Now I remember

Post by LewKellogg » Fri May 26, 2006 12:02 pm

:idea: The hole is on the top of the connector. Look at the posted picture up above. There are little "clips" like you would typically see on the outside only they are on the inside. You have to push in on those and theydrop down alowwing you to slide everything out... The XLRs in the pipcture above are to the left... 8)
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

inky
studio intern

Post by inky » Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Amazing, thanks. Didn't have to bother tapping the rivets off, but, not to worry.

griff505
audio school graduate

Post by griff505 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:43 am

I'm struggling to get mine open through the 4th hole. Any other tips.

inky
studio intern

Post by inky » Sat May 27, 2006 11:49 am

griff505 wrote:I'm struggling to get mine open through the 4th hole. Any other tips.
You need to insert (with some pressure) a flat bladed screwdriver 2 - 2.5mm in diameter into that fourth hole and turn anti clockwise to release the outer housing of the connector, then clockwise to secure it again. That should definitely work, In any case, there's no other practical/non destructive way to open it!