Old EV mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GREGL
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GREGL » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:12 pm

I have a couple of omni 654a's from the 60's that can sound real good on acoustic guitar, as room mics, and on some guitar amps. Very flat compared to a 635a (which I also like a lot). A friend of mine had them on a drum set with great results (beware though, there isn't much below 50 hz).

Also a couple of PL6's. These are unidirectional "variable D" mics from the early 80's made with instrument mic'ing in mind. A very different sonic fingerprint than an SM57, less peaky in the mids (maybe even a little scooped). Great on some guitar amps and excellent as drum mics.

I also have an RE11 which I like a lot on guitar amps and percussion.
I'm guessing it would probably be fine on some vocalists also.

The best part- the 6 of these mics probably cost me less than 2 SM57's!

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:17 pm

i have a 635a that i really like on guitar cabinets, and it sounds good for some vocals too. plus, you can hammer in nails with it, knock off ice from the back of the freezer, and so on.

justin

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:46 pm

I love my RE-15.

I put one up for a quick scratch drum track last week (mono) and it ruled. Super ruled.

Pretty nice on Vox too.
I have some really horrible gear!!!

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:12 pm

got a 664 and a 660 and i'm looking for more...
anyone use a re 85?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:54 pm

Ahhhh...I figured out the Cannon pinout (not the same as XLR it seems), soldered up a pigtail, and replaced the foam windscreen in this 666, and just tried it out on my voice. Niiiiiiice. I'm really excited about it, I'm gonna try and track with it in the next couple weeks. Will report!

Dan Kennedy
audio school graduate

Post by Dan Kennedy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:08 pm

Because a family friend was the EV rep in Minnesota, they were my first real mics. I've owned RE-11's and 16's, DO-54's, RE-20's, 635A's, DS-35's, and my
favorite, the CS-15, which came out about 1976 or so, one of the first electret mics that could be considered professional. They still sound good, kind of like a mellow SM-81.

All good workhorses, but none are exceptional, like a 57.

My first "good" mic was an Altec 633, the saltshaker, which I got in about 1965.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:50 pm

Not so sure if this is that old but this is the RE-38 ND i have.Looks like it might be a broadcast mic because of the 16 position eq switch.Heres what it looks like:

16 position EQ:

cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

Rob Tavaglione
studio intern

Post by Rob Tavaglione » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:10 am

I like my PL9, it's omni, midrange peaky and surprisingly useful. Recently restored an old-school 649 news gathering mic, designed to hang off the neck of a reporter. It's severely low-end filtered and always a bit distorted ... just the ticket for mangled drums or "walkie-talkie" vocals. Beats the hell out of some plug in ... imho
Catalyst Recording
www.catalystrecording.com
"The question is life, the answer is music"

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:53 am

tactics wrote:Not so sure if this is that old but this is the RE-38 ND i have.Looks like it might be a broadcast mic because of the 16 position eq switch.Heres what it looks like:

16 position EQ:

That is the one I used to have. i liked that mic a LOT. sold it, like a dummy. Then missed it years later (now).

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:01 am

that mic looks great! never seen one or tried one..I love the eq function!

how much do those go for?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:07 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:that mic looks great! never seen one or tried one..I love the eq function!

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:17 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:that mic looks great! never seen one or tried one..I love the eq function!

I paid $400 Australian for it which is about $300 US.Not sure if i got duped, i just thought it looked really cool.Come to think of it i didnt even check if it worked before i bought it.(it does)
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:37 am

Well yeah I'd like to listen to it first..but wondering a general used price..Eq at the mic or pre is handy in my opinion..300$US seems pricey..looks very handsome (visually) and more expensive than maybe it sounds..i dunno..

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 pm

I have a 667, which I love on certain vocals. I also use it on guitar amps. I just did a guitar session on Sunday where I used it as the counterpoint mic to an R84 ribbon. It has a nice bite-y thinness especially as compared to the ribbon. Good stuff. The EQ is adjustable but you have to kinda take the mic apart to do it.

I also have a 676 but I haven't used it all that often. So I'm sure it's lovely but haven't found out for myself!

Plus one of my two RE20s is messed up--something is pressing against the element and it sounds all strange. For the time being I'm using it as an effects mic.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Wally Wawro
audio school

EV mics

Post by Wally Wawro » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:40 pm

I collect microphones and EV's are a little more fun than Shures ( save of course for a true chrome 55 or the neat 51).

For you folks that have them, EV will still refurbish mics like RE-15/16, 635A, RE-50 and RE-20. You might have to call the Michigan plant to see if they still have parts for any of the other vintage mics they're famous for
(nothing for the 666 though).

My favorites in the collection are a gold anodized 664 with the matching desk base also in gold. I also have a gold 676.

My favorite EV of them all is the RE-15/16, sounds great on voice over
(at least my voice) and has good distance reach for a dynamic. I use one for crowd on sports remotes and it works better than a shotgun for some reason!

Wally