For the Drummers - Bass Drum Size question on new kit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:49 pm

wintershed wrote:Does anyone know a good place to shop for odd head sizes, like 21???
You probably want to look for one of those old-school privately owned shops that has been around for 30 or 40 years. They are generally easier to find on the east coast, so there might be something local. If you need to order in, I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Kae has what you need at http://www.drumcityguitarland.com (that's where I just bought my Gretsch kit) or maybe check with Steve Weiss up in Philadelphia.

-Jeremy

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:29 am

I've got a 16x20 Gretsch and its a great drum, buit I think a good 22" is a better straight up rock sound. I really need to get one.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:15 am

I have a premier signia maple kit 20" kick 10, 12, 14, toms..great for both rock and Jazz..also a 20" Sligerland maple(i think) kick form the 60's sounds just as good but with crappier old school hardware..

I use a yamaha custom maple absolute snare 13"x4" or 5"..those yamaha drums are great..

p.s. drums dont sound the same from room to room place to place..I suggest getting them into your place to try em out..

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:28 am

my c&c kit has a 20" kick and it's one of the best sounding and most versatile kick drums i've ever used. i had an 18" gretsch years ago and while i enjoyed it, it was a one trick pony. the 20" c&c killed it. i'm down to one kit and this 20" does it all.