Ribbon or condenser on woodwinds

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

matyas
pushin' record

Ribbon or condenser on woodwinds

Post by matyas » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:56 am

So I've got a session next week. The style is experimental free-jazz influenced modern classical. (Think some of the stuff on John Zorn's label for a point of reference.) We're tracking to 2" 24-track (and then dumping to digital for editing). The instruments are being recorded one at a time, with overdubs, rather than simulaneously. (There are various reasons for this.) The instrumentation is flute, clarinet, violin, cello, synth. I'm not going for a completely pristine classical tone - it's a pretty aggressive piece, and it should "sound like a [rock] record". I'm probably going to use a ribbon on the strings, either a Royer or a Beyer 160, through Hardy or Neotek preamps. For the woodwinds, I can't decided whether to go ribbon or condenser (with a C414 being my top choice.) Thoughts?

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Re: Ribbon or condenser on woodwinds

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:19 am

matyas wrote:So I've got a session next week. The style is experimental free-jazz influenced modern classical. (Think some of the stuff on John Zorn's label for a point of reference.) We're tracking to 2" 24-track (and then dumping to digital for editing). The instruments are being recorded one at a time, with overdubs, rather than simulaneously. (There are various reasons for this.) The instrumentation is flute, clarinet, violin, cello, synth. I'm not going for a completely pristine classical tone - it's a pretty aggressive piece, and it should "sound like a [rock] record". I'm probably going to use a ribbon on the strings, either a Royer or a Beyer 160, through Hardy or Neotek preamps. For the woodwinds, I can't decided whether to go ribbon or condenser (with a C414 being my top choice.) Thoughts?
I love my Beyer 260 on soprano sax, so I'd bet the 160 would sound great on clarinet. Probably flute too. I've recorded trumpet and tenor through 414's and while it sounded fine, it didn't kill me. But soprano (and trumpet) through the 260 is just fantastic, lots of character, sits into a dense mix well, and has a certain thickness that helps the instrument a lot.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:05 pm

I like darker condensers on woodwinds. The FET47 is perfect for oboe/clarinet.

The 160 always sounds a little "whistle-ey" to me around 3-4k, so I have never liked it on reed/ double reed woodwinds.

My mother in law played first chair oboe for the boston pops for a long time, and still plays in the cape cod symphony orchestra, and she ALWAYS talks about getting a good, DARK, but "open" sound for woodwinds. I dont hear the 160 as having those qualities.

I would use the 414, as close to the instrument as I pssibly could, with a pop screen, and still probably lowpass.... Then gain it up after rolling off the top to bring it back to the front as full bodied, and not nasal or too "honky."

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:26 pm

personally i would probably use the 414 on the cello and flute. the violin and clarinet get the royer. given what you have avail.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:27 pm

Royer on the cello is classic, though!

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards the 414 on the flute at least. I should also mention that the studio has a pretty decent mic selection, and there are a few other condensers available. They have a Korby C12 replica, some Blue mics (I think a Bottle and a pair of Dragonflies), a U87, and some other stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment.
Joel - cool that your mother-in-law played oboe. I played oboe myself for years (still do every once in a while, but making reeds sucks...)

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:20 am

Hmmm, I really REALLY like ribbons on cello. I've tried both the RCA 74b and RCA 44BX in different situations/sessions and it's come to where the players get a ribbon of their own just based on the raw track. For woodwinds and brass I'm apt to grab a condenser with a little compression (depends on the player regarding compression). You can try a ribbon on the woodwinds but I find myself pushing the top end from a ribbon (if selected) like a condenser, like the 414 would produce. I like a little more top end from the wodwinds/brass and a lot of string from the, well, stringed instruments.... ribbons get a really great string tone.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

bowling-name
audio school graduate

Post by bowling-name » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:43 pm

Try a Dragonfly on the clarinet...though I have a lot more experience playing clarinet than recording the instrument.

Interested in what you end up choosing and why.

--ryan

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:18 pm

Interesting suggestion with the Dragonfly. I've never used one. What do they sound like?