favorite fuzz pedal.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:17 pm

thegunshyboy wrote:so joel, have you tried the double muff? does it work for someone who doesn't know an EH designer, and can't wield a soldering iron?
We have a double muff as well, and a Muff PI, and an original big muff, and one of the russioan ones as well... I think all of them...

The crazy custom one I have is voiced differently than any of them. It is totally a one-off mayhem box that was kind of made on a dare....

The oonly thing that I have used that comes close to it would be something like a big muff into a sansamp classic, with the sans amp on full blast but with the treble all the way down, but also with a gate like the fuzz probe... I dunno...
It is neat.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:20 pm

thegunshyboy wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Image
really? what do you like about it? what have you used it on? sound samples? i've looked at this a few times, cause it has lots o' knobs, and it's cheap.
It just sounds different from other fuzzes. It's smooth, can be rather cold, and the color and resonance knobs are pretty neat. I'm assuming resonance is some sort of feedback loop. You can get the classic fuzz tone but I don't really want that...I just like having something oddball.

IMHO, people are snobs about fuzz & have narrow ideas about what one should be like. This one is a different flavor...cold cuts to Fuzz FAce's bacon.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:08 pm

I'm big on the ZVex Fuzz Factory and the Black Cat SuperFuzz for recording. Also there was one called the FuzzSaw made by a guy in Indiana that had a great thick sound that happened to work really well on two/three string chords, but it really wasn't too well made and after a few trips back to him for repairs, I sort of gave up on it. I had a Way Huge Purple Platypus that I got back when they were still $140 that I sold last year for $500 that was awesome as well - did a great crashing WWII fighter plane sound. I think there's an Addrock pedal that's the same circuit; I should look into that again...

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:41 pm

BJFE Candy Apple Fuzz
or
Ampeg Scrambler

E Baxter Put
audio school graduate

Post by E Baxter Put » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Austone Textone.

This is not a crazy weird sounding zvex fuzz, but it sounds amazing. It's a really huge and nice sounding fuzz.

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Danelectro French Toast. Does the octavia thing, does the germanium fuzzface thing. Think Foxx Tone Machine, Adrian Belew in 1983 playing Elephant Talk and Sharkey's Day, even Jimi 'scusin' hisself while he kisses this guy. And only $49 list. Go ahead and pay $200-300 for some boo-teek box. That leaves more French Toasts for me! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
-dB, coyote

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:22 pm

The Fuzz Factory and Fuzz Probe are both great, as well as the Metasonix Butt Probe. It's not really a fuzz, but it sure as hell isn't a regular overdrive, either. It's a sound-fucker-upper, and it's great.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:26 pm

Big Muff or Fuzz Face clone. Gotta keep it basic :lol:

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:12 pm

The Prescription Electronics Experience Pedal has got a really thick muscular fuzz sound + octave and swell functions. The swell function makes the pedal do bizarre things that I can't really explain.

davedarling
studio intern

Post by davedarling » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:46 pm

My fave is the ...Way Huge Swollen Pickle. sort of a big muff with a filter.

dave

bowling-name
audio school graduate

Post by bowling-name » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:19 pm

My custom Japanese Prophecysound Black Sheep Fuzz (meaty Roland Beebaa clone), or the Zvex fuzz factory. Push either with the Zvex Machine and things get ugly. :twisted:

Though I have never used a Dirty Boy Afro Fuzz (or any of the other Blues Saraceno pedals), it would likely be on my shortlist.

I'd also like to try a Univox Superfuzz at some point (or the Black Cat clone).

Though not strictly fuzz pedals, the Ampeg Scrambler or the Fender Blender are also superb.

--ryan

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:59 pm

The DOD Classic Fuzz is Big Muff killer. It nails the tone but doesn't have the insane output of the Muff. But hey, it's a DOD! Whudda want for $20??? LOL It's like the Danelectro mini-pedals, they sound great but you can't give them the evil eye or they'll break. I just can't bring myself to spend $200+ on a pedal unless it's something big & heavy like a Uni-Vibe.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I tried a re-issue of the Fender Blender a week or two ago. That was some interesting octave fuzz, really had a sweet spot and could probably get super crazy with feedback, but the Voodoo Labs Proctavia seems more "usable". Hmmm...is usable a good quality in fuzz?
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 am

I'm quite impressed with the Fulltone 69 pedal I just got. It sounds very 60's, very Nuggets box set. I used it on a wedding band hit the other night and the older ladies were flipping their wigs- always a good sign.

xcerveau
audio school graduate

Post by xcerveau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:53 am

I have a 60's Era Vox Tonebender that sounds amazing, I also have a really nice national fuzz wah which sounds kinda creamy and harsh at the same time. And I of course have to give props to the big muff.

Anyone tried the EH Graphic Fuzz?

Keith.
++++The Flags are all dead; at the top of their poles++++

<a href="http://www.xcerveau.org">X. Cerveau Media</a>

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:03 pm

i love my muff..i think it's a cool pedal...cool being the exact term to describe it..not very versatile..but that's not why i got it.

but favourite fuzz is, without a doubt, the much hated fender blender.. :shock: