RESLO ribbon pin identification question...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Goldenvoice
audio school graduate

RESLO ribbon pin identification question...

Post by Goldenvoice » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:34 am

Hi all!

I have my Reslo's lying on the couch, and would like to install some new cable to them. I picked them (2) up at an estate sale a while back. One has 1/4" plug wired to it - out of phase with my 4047 - I know...

I'm contemplating picking up a couple Sowter transformers...

In the mean time - my big question is this: How do I identify the pins?

Looking at the base of the mic - with the 2 close pins to the top, and the single pin to the bottom - who's who????

Thanks for any and all help. I do know to avoid strapping an ohm meter across these.

also, do I want to ground the mic body????

Goldenvoice - not yet a purely reslosound guy - but working on it.

PS- I used one of the reslo's live - solo gig - easy listening type stuff - and fell in love - but won't make a habbit of it either!

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Re: RESLO ribbon pin identification question...

Post by rodabod » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:42 pm

Goldenvoice wrote: I'm contemplating picking up a couple Sowter transformers...
Cool. What model of Reslo? What model of Sowter? Most Reslos won't accept a Sowter due to size restrictions.
In the mean time - my big question is this: How do I identify the pins?

Looking at the base of the mic - with the 2 close pins to the top, and the single pin to the bottom - who's who????
The two friends who are close together are hot and cold. The lonely one is earth / ground.

Now, is the mic 30-50 Ohms, 600 Ohms, or 30-50 Ohms AND Hi-Z?

If it is the latter (ie. dual impedance, then you may need to cut a wire in the mic socket).

Otherwise, just connect hot and cold to XLR 2 and 3. The earth braid should go to XLR Pin1 and theis should go to the barrel of the Reslo mic connector. There are various ways of connecting the braid to the Reslo connector.
Thanks for any and all help.

I can't remember which way round the hot and cold pins are..... Wait a second, I'm pretty sure the hot pin is next to the "tongue" or groove on the connector - you know, the notch bit on the plug.

Search for "ferrograph reslo" and download the original manual.
also, do I want to ground the mic body????

Yes, as I said above.