over kiler barrel limiter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drewbass
buyin' gear

over kiler barrel limiter

Post by drewbass » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:55 pm

has anyone have actual experience using these? if so, in what capacity?

http://www.mercenary.com/prsoovkibali.html

thanks in advance
drew

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:03 am

i don't have any experience w it but it's a simple device. a barrel w a couple of zeners in it.

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewto ... er&start=0

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:11 am

dont have this thing but my converters have this kind of thing built in and I can say if you record rock onto digital its a GREAT feature to have soft limiting on the input of converters..

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:18 am

thanks, i followed the link. 4 pages of people talking about something they have never heard. hypothesizing on one person's account.
beard- you seem to like the idea? what gear are you using that does this?
//
i'm summing from the folcrom to 2 really old api 312s (6 packed by brent) to the masterlink. i'm not into the limiter on the masterlink and want to send higher levels to it. i thought this would prevent clipping. i love the sound i'm getting, i just want some more.
any thoughts?
thanks

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:10 pm

drewbass wrote:thanks, i followed the link. 4 pages of people talking about something they have never heard. hypothesizing on one person's account.
looks like it's worth domo-ing for your purposes. what i should have said is it looks to be easy to reverse engineer if it's any good.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:21 pm

i see what you mean, scott.
good point.
drew

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:34 pm

drewbass wrote:thanks, i followed the link. 4 pages of people talking about something they have never heard. hypothesizing on one person's account.
beard- you seem to like the idea? what gear are you using that does this?
//
i'm summing from the folcrom to 2 really old api 312s (6 packed by brent) to the masterlink. i'm not into the limiter on the masterlink and want to send higher levels to it. i thought this would prevent clipping. i love the sound i'm getting, i just want some more.
any thoughts?
thanks
I mean I never heard the prism thingies..but it sounds like they might help you get your levels louder..

On my Lavry ADs there is a soft limiting fuction, analog saturation and digital saturation, and flat..it compresses and soft limits going in and makes the dynamic rage compressed like 3 or 6db or something like that and then limits too..it just kind of even things out but doesnt sound coloured or over done..just nice and strong and evens out playing and stuff..I like it a lot on the input of the converters there..not realy the same thing your doing but sort of..

I'm sure merc will let you return them if your not 100% happy with the prism contraption..make sure they are cool with that first though..worth a try imho..

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:45 pm

thanks b-o-b my next question was coloration, you touched on that. i would have to hear it for myself, but based on what we know about the circuitry do you (or scott or anyone) think much of a sonic stamp would be imposed. that would not be something i would be looking for, although if it's a cool sounding stamp i'd buy it.
again, my ears would do the talking.
good idea about double checking about the return policy.
thanks,
drew

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:32 pm

on the prism thingie I would guess it to be uncoloured..but i dunno for sure..