Problem w/ KRK V8's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fillmoresound
gimme a little kick & snare

Problem w/ KRK V8's

Post by fillmoresound » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 am

So, I've been using mine for about two years, and now they don't sound right. They once shared an AC outlet w/ my stove following a Panamax Line Conditioner. (I live in a 100 year old bldg - it was the only plug to use within 10 feet!) Anyway, when I send it anything below 70hz, I get a fluttery sound from one of them. Frequencies above don't seem effected. And its only when pushed hard.

At low volume, I've been able to mix with good results. And its only in one.

Does this sound like a woofer problem, or maybe an internal amp issue? Could it have received an AC spike from the outlet? Any recommendations on how to test or fix?
"Soft and spongy. Like a twinkie. Like a twinkie."

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:41 pm

I don't know how difficult the V8's are to disassemble, but I would try swapping the LF driver between the 2 cabinets. If the sound follows the driver, the driver is the problem. Otherwise if the sound stays with the cabinet it might be the amp or possibly the cabinet itself (something loose and flapping in the port maybe).

If it's the sound I'm thinking of, it's probably the driver itself. I had a similiar problem with one of my passive Tannoy Reveals. Replacing the driver solved the issue.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:08 am

The KRK V8's are very simple to open up. That would be a very simple test to see if its the driver or the amp that has the issue. The screws holding the speaker on are on the outside of everything. Also the wire to the speaker is just a slide on jobby no soldering or anything! Easy peasy!!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"