I just dont understand the hype..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:31 pm

inverseroom wrote:Also, I don't think you would ever catch anyone on here hyping Bose anything. :wink:
Hyping a Bose is like painting a clear bicycle clear.

I have to chime on the 58. If I point it at a guitar, the recorded track sounds very much like the guitar. If I point it at a singer... Sometimes not so much.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm

57's and 58's have identical capsules, but for some reason I like the 57 more. That being said, I like the 58 for live vocals....and studio vocals from time to time.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Re: I just dont understand the hype..

Post by thunderboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:39 pm

MikeCzech wrote:It has no feedback rejection, it makes everything dull and lifeless.
No offense meant, but it sounds like either you are doing something wrong or your 58s need to be replaced. The 58 didn't become "the standard" because of the qualities you listed - I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "dull"...

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Re: I just dont understand the hype..

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:09 pm

thunderboy wrote: No offense meant, but it sounds like either you are doing something wrong or your 58s need to be replaced. The 58 didn't become "the standard" because of the qualities you listed - I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "dull"... jt
Are we talking about the same mic?

I guess I could turn blue in the face and I'd still be on my own as far as the 58 goes.. I have to wonder if you guys have ever really compared it to anything else.. I'm sure you have, I can accept the fact that I just have different taste.

But you absolutely cannot argue the fact that any AKG stage vocal mic within the last 10 years, or any Audix OM series mic can be cranked a whole lot hotter before feeding back. That's not my opinion - that's been my experience over and over again.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:43 am

sennheiser 835 definitely gets hotter than a 58 without feeding back...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:17 am

apropos of nothing wrote:Hyping a Bose is like painting a clear bicycle clear.
Whoa! Koan city.

*sits cross legged and falls into a trance*

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:31 am

For those of you who have the Pro VLA, I'd appreciate any suggestions on some settings that you've found useful. I have it and I've used it a little but, but havn't found any settings that get me excited. i've mostly tried acoustic gtr. and voclas with it. That tube swapping idea sounds intriguing.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:53 am

I don't really use compression as an effect--but I find the VLA to be crisp, clean, and transparent with vocals and acoustic guitar. I also DI keyboards through my Hamptone JFET and then the VLA and it keeps them tight and clear in the mix. And the gain isn't bad, for when I'm recording with ribbons and wouldn't mind a little extra. I've had mine for a year or so.

If you want to really squash the crap out of stuff you might want something else...

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:40 am

Ahh, excellent. inspired by this thread, i just plugged my VLA in for the first time in about 5 months and...it's dead. No light, no nothing. How exquisite.

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:43 am

Proabaly overstated, but here are two examples of these two peices being used with great results...

Every vocal Bono has ever tracked with Eno and Lanois has been with a 58.

Dave Friedman (flaming Lips) uses the VLA to great effect to crush and distort drum overheads. Listen to "The Soft Bullitin" and "Yoshimi..."

One mans trash really is another treasure, it's reaslly true.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:56 am

hopeless_opus wrote:Dave Friedman (flaming Lips) uses the VLA to great effect to crush and distort drum overheads. Listen to "The Soft Bullitin" and "Yoshimi..."
Really?!!? :shock: Huh, go figure!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:12 am

inverseroom wrote:
If you want to really squash the crap out of stuff you might want something else...

Or you can cascade channel 1 into channel 2 for 2 steps of compression if you want to use it to really squash something. I do that with DI electric bass sometimes and the occasional room mic.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:18 am

is that really what fridmann is using? i always thought it was something more esoteric...

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:18 pm

Yup it is. I read it in an interview with Friedman somewhere. It's also referenced in the Tape Op review of the VLA and I believe in the Tape Op interview with the Lip's Bass player, who also happens to be an engineer.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:00 pm

Bjork uses an SM58 live, as well.

As far as Audix/AKG/Whatever vocal mics having higher GBF than a 58, I can get a 58 dangerously loud on stage and I can have an aneurysm trying to get an OM6 to be audible - IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION.

I have a wide variety of vocal mics in my kit, including Audix, AKG, Sennheiser and Neumann. More often than not, it's the 58 up on stage.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron