Sovtek Amps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:26 am

Where does one get a Sovtek amp? Are they still sold new? I want a used Mig 60. Any years better than others? Older better than new?
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:15 pm

I have heard four different Sovtek amps, and none of them, in my opinion, sounded like a JCM 800 or a plexi.

They remnd me more of 80's Fender amps.
0x

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:31 am

My friend has an old Mig 50? that was modified. It has EL34's in it. The newer ones seem to have 6L6's in there. I am interested in a MIG 60 because it uses EL84's. I already have a Quad Reverb and a Bassman head at my disposal so I don't need another "Fender" like amp.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:30 am

Coco wrote:Where does one get a Sovtek amp?
eBay mainly. You can do a Google search and possibly find a few stores with some NOS and used in stock. I remember finding a place in California last year that had a good number of MIG-60's and 50's NOS in stock. Don't remember where. I ended up going the eBay route.
Coco wrote:Are they still sold new?
If you are looking for one in dead mint condition you can search around and possibly turn up a new old stock. Not extremely common, but there are definitely some floating around... There was a seller on eBay for a while selling some straight from the Ukraine or Russia or somewhere overseas (shipping was a monster). Haven't seen any of theirs turn up in over 6 months.
Coco wrote:Any years better than others? Older better than new?
Better than others, I don't know. I can say that there are two slightly different versions though... maybe more. One with a 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs and one with a double 4 ohm out and a single 8 ohm out. This is the version I have.
I contacted New Sensor over the summer and they were more than happy to answer my questions and send me the schematics I requested. Turns out the version I have is most likely a very early version as the 4, 8, 16 configuration was standardized after the first production (or atleast that is what I remember reading).

The eBay market on these has really fallen compared to the same time last year. Definitely a buyers market now! As with any other eBay deal, just becareful and ask plenty of questions. These aren't the most well known amps around and I have heard a few strange stories from people doing some mods to these to turn them into something they aren't. Be sure you do your research before buying.

As a side, I am actively looking for a MIG-30. If anyone happens to have one for sale, or know somewhere they have one for sale, I would love to know!

Great amps.

Thanks

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I figured they were not made anymore, I thought I should ask just in case.