kick drumsounds that are awesome

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

kick drumsounds that are awesome

Post by djgout » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:32 pm

So kick sounds have kinda really been on my mind recently. I've been growing really tired of the whole *click'n'boom* action that's been going on. Being a drummer I've been playing a lot with different head and muffling combos to try to see what I can do to make my kick go *THUDD!* and then stop. just *THUDD!* like a merle haggard or old elton john album. I want it to feel like you just got the wind knocked out of you instead of like standing in a tunnel with a starter pistol.
I've completely switched my normal mindset for kickdrums, instead of being empty with a hole in the front head, I've got a huge thick towel folded up and inside with a thin resonant head and no hole. It's really awesome sounding when you just slam your foot down. Maybe I'm just excited because it's a different sound than I'm used to playing, but it's currently my favorite.
Getting it to record properly has been alot of fun too. I was able to borrow a D12 that i had to give back, but it definitly gave that old *THUDD!* that I've been trying to find.

What are some other kick sounds that ya'll think are awesome?

Another one that I love is on Isis' Oceanic...very cool.

-justin
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

blacklisted
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blacklisted » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:16 pm

im a click n boom kinda guy myself but im really diggin that old rockabilly kick drum sound....

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:21 pm

The sound you described is a very cool one, and can really work well on the right type of song. I generally go for a punchy, dampened sound, but not necessarily that drastic. The size and positioning of the pillow/blankets/whatever used can really make a difference in the sound.

And compression is another tool I like to use on kick. I got a pretty cool sound today running it through a 160VU then through a distressor. Plenty of thud in the initial attack and not too much of anything after that.

One of my all-time favorite kick sounds is from the flaming lips' the soft bulletin. so freakin' huge!!! im curious if any of you have tried to emulate that and what you did and how it turned out.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:16 am

There was one on that George Martin collaboration album from a few years ago that was to die for. Simply astounding what they accomplished with that kick drum sound. I can't remember which song. I need to buy that album anyway.

I really dig Albini's representations of kick drums. They sound more like real kick drums than a lot of other people's recordings. Glynn Johns had some great kick drums sounds on his records from the early seventies. I love the kick drum sound on "Who's Next." I tend to dig where Andy Wallace puts kick drums, too, although his are more along the lines of the "Star Wars" concept of bigger than real life. I'll give him a lot of credit for making an awesome kick drum sound happen on "Grace."

Stewart Copeland. Another favorite, especially on the Nigel Gray stuff.

Oh, and how could I not mention "New Mistake" by Jellyfish?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:18 am

My very favorite recorded bass drum has to be "Since I've been loving you"
Guitar "Wha wa wa wah whaaa" snare "crack: BD "BOOM BOOOM."

For the Thwack thing I'm with Chris on Whos' Next.

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Harmony Head » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:32 am

Not many people talk about Roger Taylor from Queen's drum sounds... always lovely ambience and seemingly minimal miking, and the kick drum sounds up to and including 'The Game' album, are some of my favourites ever. Jellyfish obviously thought so as well, because they are of the same ilk.

Was he using a 24" or 26"?

HH
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:07 am

The kick sound from Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire is one of my all time favorites. I guess that's included in Chris' mention of Andy Wallace. Listen to any song on that album.

I remembered this thread.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:52 am

Betty - helmet

That kick drum is like wonderfully violent pillow. It's great.
Nerp!

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:51 am

I was thinking about this the other day. I really don't know what I like. I just know what I don't like.

d

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:12 am

I'm really into the kick drum (all of the srum sounds for that matter) on The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust esp. Five Years.
Kyle

starscream
alignin' 24-trk

Post by starscream » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:18 am

drewkon wrote:One of my all-time favorite kick sounds is from the flaming lips' the soft bulletin. so freakin' huge!!! im curious if any of you have tried to emulate that and what you did and how it turned out.
I agree. That kick drum sounds like it's a huge drum in a room with alot of sub frequencies, almost like an 808, but not. I also really dig the kick sound they got on the 'Clouds Taste Metallic' record, it's BIG but somehow not over powering, very cool.

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:01 pm

drumsound wrote:My very favorite recorded bass drum has to be "Since I've been loving you"
Guitar "Wha wa wa wah whaaa" snare "crack: BD "BOOM BOOOM."
That's the first thing I think of when I think of the sound of the ideal kick.

Not for everything you know, but that song in particular gets me going.

I love how you can hear the sqeak of the kick pedal.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:35 pm

daede wrote:
drumsound wrote:I love how you can hear the sqeak of the kick pedal.
Hell yes!

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:04 pm

It's not my favourite kick sound, but Pat Wilson's on Weezer's debut is one of the more unique kick drum sounds I've heard.

For me, the ideal is always Hal Blaine as recorded by Larrry Levine. Check out Herb Alpert's "Taste of Honey." And of course the intro to "Be My Baby."

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:18 pm

Lust for Life! I love that kick sound.