Tascam MSR-24 vs Tascam 58 - should I do it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Piccoman2
audio school graduate

Tascam MSR-24 vs Tascam 58 - should I do it?

Post by Piccoman2 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:36 pm

Hello,

I had a quick question for anyone on here. I currently have a Tascam 58 1/2" 8-track (has balanced as well as unbalanced inputs and outputs). It works great but I'm pretty limited with 8 tracks. I have the opportunity to purchase a Tascam MSR-24 (24 track, 1") machine for $800. It includes the remote, manual, RCA to TSR unbalanced snake, and a new reel of 456 w/ a take up reel. I can also pick it up locally and check it out somewhat myself. My main question is would this be a wise upgrade? My main concerns are that the MSR24 only has unbalanced RCA style inputs and outputs unlike my 58 which has both. Also, the tape width per track is .0417 " per track as where with my 58 it is .0625 " per track. Do you think that this would be a unwise compromise in terms of quality for more tracking ability? It seems to me that given the extras with the unit that it is a good deal considering that I paid $800 for my 58 with snakes. If you're doing a short cable run do you loose alot by going unbalanced? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Scott
scott@bearclawrock.com

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:10 pm

I have an MSR-24 and think it's great.
I originally tried to use it without the DBX and it's a bit too noisy for that, but I think it actually sounds really nice with the DBX on and it makes it extremely quiet.
It's also a very no-nonsense machine in regards to maintenance, if you clean/de-magnetize it regularly it's pretty much effortless.
Punch-ins are smooth.
I really like it and would say that if you need more tracks, this is a good step up.
That price is great as well. I'd buy it in a heartbeat just to have a spare in case something happens to mine, though I don't foresee any problems as none have happened yet. As far as consumer level analog open reel home recording goes, this technology is about as mature as it gets.
FWIW, I had my first "real" recording gig released this year on Sub Pop, and the whole album was tracked on my MSR-24

Piccoman2
audio school graduate

MSR 24

Post by Piccoman2 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:52 pm

Pulse_Divider, is the DBX built in on the MSR 24's? Also, do you have MRL tapes for your machine and if so how often do you calibrate it? I bought MRL tapes for my 58 and they are not cheap I was just dreading having to order 1" versions. Also, what type of tape do you use? GP9? 456? Just wondering. Thanks for the info...

Scott

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:10 pm

I wouldn't do it. I have a tascam 48 1/2" 8 track and I would never give up even MORE track width for more channels. Depending on how many extra channels you need, you may be able to record 1-8 basics and make a stereo mix, then bring the 2 mix onto some fresh tape and have 6 more tracks for overdubbin.
beware bee wear

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Re: MSR 24

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:51 am

Piccoman2 wrote:Pulse_Divider, is the DBX built in on the MSR 24's? Also, do you have MRL tapes for your machine and if so how often do you calibrate it? I bought MRL tapes for my 58 and they are not cheap I was just dreading having to order 1" versions. Also, what type of tape do you use? GP9? 456? Just wondering. Thanks for the info...

Scott
Hi Scott,
Yes, the DBX is built into the machine and is switchable on/off in 8 channel increments. There's also a feature to disable it on channel 24 only so you can record and use a sync track on this channel. I've never locked this thing up to another machine, but it can be done and I had no problems using it as a master for syncing midi stuff (though you will need an external sync box).
I don't have an MRL tape and have never needed to calibrate the machine. That's why I said it was no-nonsense in regards to maintenance. I know that it is possible to re-bias the machine to use different tape, but it by default it is set up to use 456 and I just leave it that way. I've also had luck with Ampex/Quantegy 407---I think it's the same bias, but the tape stock is a bit thinner so you get more recording time (~45 minutes at high speed).
It's been a while since I've read the manual, but I believe it was designed to self-calibrate somehow... it's really user friendly.
As far as giving up track width, I've never used the Tascam 58 so I can't say whether or not it sounds better or worse. But the MSR-24 doesn't sound at all lo-fi and I doubt you'd be disappointed with the sound. Of course I'd much rather have a 2 inch 16 or 24 track and the knowledge/time to maintain it, but the MSR is perfect for my needs and the fact that it's a mature technology designed to be low maintenance is a big plus for me.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:18 am

FWIW, I had my first "real" recording gig released this year on Sub Pop, and the whole album was tracked on my MSR-24
What's the release? I'd love to check it out.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:10 pm

wintershed,
The band is called Love As Laughter and the album is called Laughter's Fifth.
http://tinyurl.com/baag6

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:18 pm

Cool, I'll have to pick it up. Thanks
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:20 pm

I agree with Joeysimms, I have a 38 and it's just passable as far as sound quality and track seperation.
Go with wider tape and buh-buh-bounce.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Just curious,
is it possible that later analog recorders with different electronics, more mature transport technologies, etc can improve on things like sound quality and track separation while having a more narrow width?
I ask because I've never had any problems with track separation on the MSR-24, yet the tracks are significantly more narrow.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:39 pm

I have a busted MSR 24, it sounded great when it worked, though.

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:54 pm

That Love As Laughter album is really cool, and it sounds great. No where near lo-fi.

Bart

highway51
pluggin' in mics

Post by highway51 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:33 pm

I've had a couple of these early 90's tape machines tascam and fostex where they squeeze alot of tracks onto a small amount of tape and I've always been pleased with the sound. The ATR tape is really quiet compared to the rmg and quantegy I think.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 am

If you can afford to drop the 800 bucks on it why not get it and see if you like it? Shouldn't be too hard to resell if you don't assuming it's in good shape and all. I'd be curious if I was in the same situation.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 13, 2011 6:05 am

I had a Tascam 38 and sold it to get an MSR-16s (1/2" 16 track). What you lose in track width is made up for in quieter electronics, better noise reduction (mine is Dolby S) and a much, much, much smoother and more robust transport. Also, the MSR has been pretty bullet proof as far as maintenance goes. I was having to get work done on the 38 3 or 4 times a year (bad relays, bad channels, etc). I've had the MSR for 5 years and it's never been in the shop.