Inventing new non digital electric-acoustic instruments

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dumbangel
pushin' record

Inventing new non digital electric-acoustic instruments

Post by dumbangel » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:16 pm

When was the last great acoustic or electric-acoustic instrument invented?

I'm not speaking of all the improvements or developments of existing concepts like analog synths turned digital, but radically new instruments. I can't think of anything, except minor inventions like that "one shot" shaker by LP.

It seems all energy has been focused on digital or synthetic sounds for decades. "Real" instruments still rule i think.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:52 pm

Not sure if it's new or not but have you ever seen or heard an Ocean Harp?

http://larkinthemorning.com/product.asp ... ceanharp_E_

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:05 pm

I've heard and recorded one of those oceanharp things. Crazy and ghostly, kind of like giant metal doors creaking open in a huge warehouse. Badass. Instant otherworldly soundtrack ambience.
The guy who I know who owns and plays this thing is the same guy who plays the chair, gerald pisk. It's.... uhhh.... a wooden chair, with strings and coffee cans and springs screwed into it, between the legs and under the seat. He sits in it and plucks the strings and gets tremelo by shaking his butt. It's chair-riffic.
brian

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:10 pm

i make some stuff.

www.ubertar.com/instruments

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:04 pm

i thought i heard once that the steel drums are the most modern none electronic instrument invented. but i can't remeber where i heard this.

panda

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:40 am

pandatone wrote:i thought i heard once that the steel drums are the most modern none electronic instrument invented. but i can't remeber where i heard this.

panda
Steel drums are pretty recent, so is the sax in the modern form.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:53 am

Ubertar's stuff is awesome.
Check out Sleepytime gorilla museum. they have a TON of instruments they made, and they also play some very obscure "manufactured" instruments.

I collect oscure "numbered" instruments, like the marxophone, tremeloa, hawaiian art violin, ukelin....

Search any of those names and you get some interesting results via google.

I have been looking for a glass harmonica....

Even stuff like the optigan (whicch I have) interests me because the means by which a sound is made is just so mutant....

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:00 am

A guy down the road does "jungle ambience" installations at museums, and one time I was checking out his set-up, and I drew a violin bow across the spokes of a bicycle wheel and there arose a frightful cacophony of bird shrieks and weird, bouncy echoes. I guess this is just a new conglomeration of old "instruments," but it was pretty strange, I tell you.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:32 pm

There used to be a great magazine called "experimental musical instruments". The editor/publisher got worn out with the effort after a while, but it was really good while it lasted. There are tons of interesting things going on... most are just really obscure.

s00p3rm4n
alignin' 24-trk

Post by s00p3rm4n » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:10 am

I have a tremeloa. :)
What a bizarre, mostly useless instrument. It will be nice to mic up the two little chambers, though.

And I want an optigan so badly. They're ridiculously fun.
"He just wants to see boys' Linuses."
-- <i>Arrested Development</i>

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:12 am

Damnit Joel, you already know all about everything I think is awesome! I've been looking for a Glass Harmonica (Armonica? Does it matter?) for about 2 years. I haven't even seen one used. One company still makes them new, but I emailed them for a price quote and they never wrote me back. Go figure...

It's certainly more than I can afford anyway, but the history of that instrument intrigues the hell out of me. They say it drives people mad.

-marc

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 pm

Harry Partch made a lot of new instruments for his composiions. This is one of my favorites:
http://www.harrypartch.com/ccbphoto.htm
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:56 am

I have read that claim about the steel drum in a high school music appreciation textbook. I think the establishment keeps that fact around for use in multiple-choice test questions.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:01 am

Check out that "gravikords, whirlies..." CD. Amazing.

I recorded a guy on daxaphone. Amazing. That thing freaks me out. Like a camera tripod with a shingle clamped to it with a contact mic... bowed. The thingy you use to change the pitch looks like the bottom of a platform shoe with frets on it. The waterphone is amazing as well. Like a ford falcon hubcap mated with a bundt cake pan, the drank three simps of water and put on a crown... ;) really. Check one out!

I absolutely LOVE that sort of thing. I am in a band called the book of knots that uses stuff like this all the time, along side of really heavy guitar rock stuff.. cant really decribe it. The violin player in the band also plays in tin hat trio and sleepytime gorilla museum, and they really collect all this type of stuff. She played a bunch of that stuff on tom waits record, "alice" as well.
When we did a collaboration with tom, he just played guitar and clapped and sang.... We played all the weird stuff.. ;)

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:05 am

joel hamilton wrote: Like a ford falcon hubcap....
How did you know we had a Ford Falcon? It was beige...beige was big in those days. I remember lolling in the backseat as my mother drove, all splayed out, this was before seatbelts or safety in general, I think... listening to the rattle of the hubcap. Probably loose lug nuts...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net