Tape Op Omnis

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Tape Op Omnis

Post by J.B.Horns » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:53 pm

I've looked everywhere for a link to this article. I got the parts a long time ago, and was thinking about building the mics, but I have no schematics.

Can anyone help?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:07 pm

You can find it in this huge thread in the TOMB archives. Be warned there are a few not-yet-finished schematics through out the thread, so you should probably read through everything.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:25 am

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the Panasonic wm-60ay which is discontinued?

Thanks!
Chris

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:39 am

Panasonic WM-61a -- Digikey carries them.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Phiz.

Chris

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Grounding issue with Tape Op Omnis

Post by agauchede » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:32 am

Built one last night - very easy to do - but it's humming when I touch the metal of the microphone - quiet, but definitely there. I wondered about just running a line from pin 1 to the "ground tab" of the XLR. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chris

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:49 pm

yes, you should do that.
that devil bastard protools

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:55 pm

It's hell trying to find the parts around here. I sent off for the mic cartridge last week thinking I could find the rest locally. Wrong! I got a good enclosure, the panel jacks, and the ceramic caps pretty easily. The rest, however, is gonna be tough. I don't think I have time to order off the internet and get it put together by Christmas (It's for a gift exchange).

All the local shops within 50 miles seem to think that the 2.2Kohm resistor is overkill at 1%. They have them at 2%. Is that a bad idea?

Also, the only thing I could come up with for the 10uF cap was a guy telling me to put 2x 4.7uf in series. This is my first project and it's a gift for someone else, so I'd rather not half ass it. Unless ofcourse half assing it would still work fine.

Lastly, in the mic, do I just stuff the cap in the housing (I'm gonna go with the male xlr connector) with the cartridge or should I try to fit a small circle of pcb in there too?

Any help would be much appreciated. Remember, I'm a first timer on this stuff, so go easy on me if I've asked anything stupid. Thanks -AE

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, as if my other post wasn't long enough... I forgot something.

What voltage should I go with on the 10uF cap and what wattage on the resistor? A friend guessed and said 100V and 1W. Sound right?

Thanks again -AE

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:34 pm

I went on Digiekey when I was trying to build a t-power to phantom power adaptor and chatted with the online help. She hooked me up, all I did was send her a link to the schematic which was posted online. Very helpful.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:02 pm

Resistors with a 2% tolerance will certainly work. There may be a tiny change in sound quality. You can always buy 20 of the 2% resistors, test them with a ohm-meter and probably find a pair that match to 0.5%.

For your 10uF cap problem, you'd want to put the two 4.7uF caps in parallel. Resistors add when in series, caps add when in parallel. Making this substituion would be perfectly fine.

For the cap voltage spec, you shouldn't need to go higher than 50V, as phantom power maxes out at 48V. But going with 100V would give you a strong margin of safety. I think a 1/4 watt resistor will be enough. There is a post in the TOMB archives (I posted a link to the thread in an above post) that lists the parts with part numbers that could be looked up to find their specs.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:26 am

i made mine with two 4.7uF caps in parallel. totally worked. I think mine sound different than the ones I heard made with the older capsule, does the capistance differeance have anything to do with frequency response??
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:58 am

Thanks for the replies. What exactly does it mean to wire the caps in parallel? How would I do that? What about the issue with stuffing the 1000pF cap into the housing? It seems like a bad idea to just let it hang out in there and not be anchored to anything but, then, I don't know.

Thanks again -AE

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and ... l_circuits

I can't comment on the housing question, as I did something different for that.
But you shouldn't have any components or wires sticking out of your housing.