1 verb & 1 stereo comp. what would you pick?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

1 verb & 1 stereo comp. what would you pick?

Post by Harry » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 am

Oh....and a $500 budget for each( I know that takes a lot of the fun out of it)

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 am

SPRING & SUMMER REVERB!!!!

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:23 am

Kurzweil Rumour and a used Drawmer DL251, if you want hardware. I can't get enough of either of these.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:39 am

a Pro VLA for $300

a Lexicon thingy for $300

and $200 for an AT3035 or something else with the leftover money.

oh yeah - and a 6 pak of black butte porter.

OR

Spend the whole $1000 on a UAD-1 they DO rock for compression in the box and reverb.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:16 am

Fisher k-10 reverb (15$-150$ used) or pioneer sr101 (15-150$used)

dbx 160a, 160x, 160xt (~700$ a pair used)

the roland space echo has a spring verb and a tape echo and mic amps and can be had for 300$ maybe I got one not too long ago that much..its a good piece for sure..great tone..

Urei 7110 maybe..I heard that was supposed to be a poor man's 1176 but I haven't heard one before..don't know how much they go for used..

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:43 am

hmmmm??? I was looking at the Lexicon stuff..do the cheap ones sound pretty good?and if so why would someone pay well over 10k for one??

The ART stuff looks cool(but it's ART???)

I'm just looking for something to get me going,but I want to be smart and get some stuff that can stay with me forever....(knowWhat I mean??)

I've never heard of the Spring and Summer reverb??? where can I check one out? (I like the name)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09 pm

I think the spring and summer reverb was a joke..I know it was cleverly disguised as not funny..I guess we can let it slide since its Girl Toes birthday today..

Ok it seems that you have come to the realization that you need a reverb and a compressor..let me ask you a question.. why? How did you come to the decision to look into those two kinds of devices?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:21 pm

Harry wrote:hmmmm??? I was looking at the Lexicon stuff..do the cheap ones sound pretty good?and if so why would someone pay well over 10k for one??

The ART stuff looks cool(but it's ART???)

I'm just looking for something to get me going,but I want to be smart and get some stuff that can stay with me forever....(knowWhat I mean??)

I've never heard of the Spring and Summer reverb??? where can I check one out? (I like the name)
Well I would hope the 10k$ ones sound better and are built better..

the key word is better..one person's better is another person's not better..sonically..it all is a matter of taste..

the #1 thing with gear is to try it before you buy it..and not just plugging it in in a store and going "check 1, 2"..serious recording use is needed to see how it will work for you..really, how else could you know?

on someones opinion? what if they have vastly different tastes and working method, etc.. ??

Nothing lasts forever..but gear with good build quality will last longer than poorly built and componented gear most likely..one thing is certain better build and components always = higher price..sound on the other hand is up to the individual to decide on..

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:06 pm

Reverbbbbbbbb
Orban stereo spring reverb or Ibanez AD202. Deltalab effectron if you want to go digital. There's a whole host of inexpensive spring, bucket brigade analog, & digital reverbs out there. The Arion stereo guitar pedal is also good - especialy for $30

comprsr
I like the urie 7110, also have a drawmer (the cheapest one they make) & like it also, a bit cleaner then the 7110, and the 501 or 525 symetrix are also good. RNC's are nice & clean if that's what you want. The list could go on, Ashley, Valley people, dbx....

hope that helps

jwp
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:01 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:Ok it seems that you have come to the realization that you need a reverb and a compressor..let me ask you a question.. why? How did you come to the decision to look into those two kinds of devices?
Well.... I'm changing form recording on a digital board with built in effects to a large format analog mixer. I do have a some experience recording and mixing,I've just always been so limited as to what I could use.
(The old Yamaha 01V had limited channels and no inserts)

So... I do know what I'm going for as far as sound,there are just so many choices(careful what you wish for right??) I need one "tasty" verb and one warm versatile compressor to get me going.
One day I hope to get into analog recorders,but I need some time to develop my cable management skills 1st.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 pm

I'll probably get shot for letting these outta the bag, but what the hell...

The Roland SRV-330 & 3030 are criminally underpriced digital 'verbs. Way better then anything you can find from Lexicon for $200, probably because they were $1K+ back in the day. The Sony R7 is another great 'verb for under $500 IF you can find one that works...the displays are notorious for going bad & there's no way to fix them, nor is there a replacement available. You gotta love that great Sony support. :roll:
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:31 pm

I used to have a Roland SRV-2000 that I thought sounded really good. I got for free so that was even better.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:26 pm

jmoose wrote:I'll probably get shot for letting these outta the bag, but what the hell...

The Roland SRV-330 & 3030 are criminally underpriced digital 'verbs. Way better then anything you can find from Lexicon for $200, probably because they were $1K+ back in the day. The Sony R7 is another great 'verb for under $500 IF you can find one that works...the displays are notorious for going bad & there's no way to fix them, nor is there a replacement available. You gotta love that great Sony support. :roll:
I had an SRV330 that I mixed a bunch of records with in the 90's, then I switched to the TC M2000 and never looked back (only forward). Even now that i have a bricasti M7, a bunch of springs, a Lex224XL, and a bunch of others, I STILL use the TC for certain short room sounds and combined FX. I love that box. The dynamic morphing feature is cool as well.... like one reverb below the threshold, another above... or subtle phasing until the big verb above the threshold....

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Back when I only HAD one stereo compressor and one reverb, it was a Drawmer 241 and a Lexicon 300, take that for what it's worth.

I did about 2000 radio commercials, three films and three or four albums with just those two processors.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Not to be difficult, but --- FOR WHAT?

Tell us the application(s), we can recommend solutions. Better.