my 1176 has become quite noisy! repair? or up grade?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mighty rime
gimme a little kick & snare

my 1176 has become quite noisy! repair? or up grade?

Post by mighty rime » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:42 pm

I own an 1176 reissue. I don't know if it is the good or bad revision... either way i use the hell out of it and it sounds great. I know they are noisy as is, but mine recently has become quite bad. It still is cool for loud stuff, but for vocals it has become too noisy... it sounds like caps are going which seems strange for a unit that is 3 years old...

Anyway i have 2 choices send it to UA and have them fix it, or send it to some one else who does mods / repairs to 1176s... i feel like i read that there are few guys out there who really make these things sound great... anybody had any experience w/ having their 1176 worked on?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:08 pm

You can probably just replace the caps yourself if you have a soldering iron. And you can order better caps than they put in that thing to begin with.

I mean, seriously. Find some piece of junk something or other that has a PCB, practice for 5 or 10 minutes, desoldering, and soldering the caps, and then order yourself some Nichicon HE or PW replacement caps of the same values you see in the 1176. (i.e. look for the uF rating and the V rating and find the replacements at digikey or mouser)

Seems to me there's only about 15 or so electrolytics in those things. Look for inverseroom's post about "tips on soldering" from like two and a half years ago.

Replacing caps is a pretty easy job. It's not like trying to find a pot replacement for an eq pot or something (which might be easy for some people, but I can never seem to find the right value pots for anything)

Watch out for the high voltage caps though if you're gonna mess with the power supply.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 pm

Yu can give me that noisey piece of crap, I'll take th burden off your hands, heck I'll even split shipping with you.

E :lol:
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson