Where do you guys buy your hard drives?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Where do you guys buy your hard drives?

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:35 pm

I suppose I could have put this in the computer forum, but I'm going to be buying a few hard drives for my Alesis HD24, so in that regard. . . .

Where do you guys buy 'em. The HD24 can use some pretty big drives, even like 200 GB, so I'll likely just buy whatever size is the most cost-effective. I havn't had any problems with Seagates yet, so i'll likely go with those, but if somebody has a good lead on where to buy some Maxtor drives or something else, i'm all ears.

Something tells me ebay is not really the way to go with HD's, and maybe not even the cheapest. . . ?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:33 pm

I get mine from PC Mall. For my HD-24. I ended up with my own personal account guy, strangely enough named Roland Patterson, and he just asks me to send him a personal check, no questions asked, cool dude. The last ones I got were 200GB and they are lasting forever. I'll set up an 8-track song, and the drive tells me I've only got 24 hours left at that rate. Yesssssss...

His phone number is 800-555-6255, ext. 5113. Tell him I sent you. He's out in Los Angeles, and since I grew up in nearby Orange County we had a long conversation about Jan and Dean and "Dead Man's Curve" and all that good stuff.

Small world
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:29 am

Joel.....Can I ask what kind of HD you use,and how much you're paying?

I will soon be recording on a HD24!!!
I know it's got to be cheaper than ADATS even though the decription of the HD24 says" and it's as cheap as ADAT tape"
24 tracks of ADAT will cost about $30 for 40 minutes.
Thanks

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 am

i buy mine from pacific pro audio. i have had no problems with it and i have not treated it too well, so i can trust them.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 am

You can't go wrong with a 911 drive from PPA, ask for Garth. They are FAST and not terribly expensive.
http://www.pacificproaudio.com/drives1.asp

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:14 am

How much are they?

Seems to be something wrong with their website right now. It won't load the "more info" page on the hard drives.

joel77
audio school graduate

Post by joel77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:08 pm

HonkyJonk,

I use the Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 HDs in my computer and my HD24. They've been very reliable and are quiet. I purchased them in different places(can't recall right off) including ebay. I have 80GB, 160GB and 200GB. Never a problem in a couple of years.

Joel

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:28 pm

Harry wrote:Joel.....Can I ask what kind of HD you use,and how much you're paying?
The latest ones seem to be Hitachi Deskstar, 200 gigs 7200 RPM, (as opposed to technically 5400 which will work.) They were $140 each.

The real beauty of upping to the HD-24 is--you never realize how nervous a "tape dependent system" is making you. How much time is left? Is everything really working as advertised? Sure, the numbers are spinning by, but if you look in the machine could the tape be whirring off its spool like a crazy half-mad taffy machine? That's the real advantage, besides sounding realer than real.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 am

I bought an OWC Firewire 800 from these guys...

http://www.macsales.com/

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:54 am

joelpatterson wrote:The latest ones seem to be Hitachi Deskstar, 200 gigs 7200 RPM, (as opposed to technically 5400 which will work.) They were $140 each.
Before IBM sold its Deskstar division to Hitachi, they had serious reliability problems... to the point that there was at least one class-action suit against IBM (I think for their GXP series).

I have over 30 drives from different manufacturers in my current inventory. I've had three Deskstars die on me. The only other drive that I've lost was one of those teenie 4200 RPM Toshiba drives in my sub-notebook, but only after the laptop had been dropped hard enough for its case to break.

I don't know what the Deskstar reliability is like these days... hopefully much better... but back in the day, they were called Deathstars for good reason.

Most of my drives now are Maxtor DiamondMax 10's. A 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache, 200 GB ATA-133 DiamondMax costs $84 from Provantage.

For my data-intensive applications, I use Maxtor (ex-Quantum) Atlas 10K V Ultra320 SCSI drives (expensive, but probably the fastest drives on the planet).

Way back in the day, Maxtor was often called Slackstor... but since buying Quantum, their reputation has been much better.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:00 pm

[The real beauty of upping to the HD-24 is--you never realize how nervous a "tape dependent system" is making you.

Not to mention the....when did I clean the heads last/did I hear a grinding sound/this is the 87th time I've rewound to this part,this thing is gonna snap/error rate?????//// I swear if you stare at the adat to much the little red * will start to flash telling you SOMETHING IS WRONG?????
((((((nervous?????? I don't know what you're talking about???))))):>)

oh, and instant locate is a nice bonus!!!!!

ADATs have served me well for a long time,but I am SO ready to move on!

JB
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by JB » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:27 pm

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:20 pm

Harry wrote: ADATs have served me well for a long time,but I am SO ready to move on!
Man this captures the whole feeling of this current era. Thanks for finding the words to describe it.

Now meanwhile, Andy, if you knew the cold pangs of gut-wrenching fear your innocent comments have caused... you don't want me walking around like a terrified, paralyzed, pitiful helpless giant do you? Tell me you were kidding.

I appreciate the link to Provantage--I'm a much wiser guy than when this thread started. Still--tell me you're kidding about the Deskstars.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:49 am

Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:04 am

I use the OWC (Other World Computing) hard drives mentioned earlier. They've been great.