honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Here's to John.

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:49 am

For Tomorrow Never Knows,
All you Need is Love,
Plastic Ono Band,
being naked on an album cover,

and a billion other moments we all dearly love.

(Somehow giving a powerpoint presentation today seems pretty disgusting. I wanna be drunk and happy all day.)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:58 am

My birthday, today, is always tempered by the fact that it is also the day Lennon was shot (when I was just 4). Today is also the anniversary of the Falklands invasion, FWIW.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am

Nice post!!
Happy Birthday!!
The whatLands???

Funny story an engineer told me(said he got it from Allen Parsons)

I guess John was Really into singing through a Leslie(I never knew this?? is this common knowledge??) anyway...I guess he was so into the spinning speaker effect that he actually had some people rig something up so he could hang upside down from a rope and have people spin him around a mic while singing.....Now weather or not this is true doesn't matter,it's a nice picture of a creative genius to have in your head.

PEACE

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:04 am

mjau wrote:My birthday, today, is always tempered by the fact that it is also the day Lennon was shot (when I was just 4). Today is also the anniversary of the Falklands invasion, FWIW.
It's my birthday too! I remember walking to school (1st Grade) and having a kid in 5th grade tell me what had happened.

Have a happy birthday anyway. Be glad in knowing that despite the fact that J. Lennon was taken away much, much too soon, that he was able to accomplish so much and contribute so much in his short time.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:10 am

We need to bring back Jim Morrison and form a band of people born on 12/8.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:29 am

"Our life together is so precious together,
We have grown - we have grown,
Although our love is still special,
Let's take our chance and fly away somewhere alone."

This is me and my girls favorite song... sad to think that he could have done so much more, but what he gave us was so great... an inspiration.

Josh

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:38 am

My birthday is the same as the Columbine shooting. Also Hitler's birthday. Also, national smoke out day.

Of course the Alan Parsens story is true! It's too crazy to make up.

s00p3rm4n
alignin' 24-trk

Post by s00p3rm4n » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:36 pm

Um, John never actually swung from the ceiling to sing. That was a harebrained scheme he had that George Martin quickly vetoed.

And yes, he sang into the Leslie quite a bit. That and ADT (artifical double tracking) were just the extent of his "weird" vocal effects.
"He just wants to see boys' Linuses."
-- <i>Arrested Development</i>

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:37 pm

WXYC, 89.3FM, Chapel Hill runs a program called the Thursday Night Feature, which focuses on a particular musical topic for three hours, 9pm-midnight EST.

Tonight's feature will be on John Lennon. From the e-mail:
JOHN LENNON on the Thursday Night Feature...
25 years after his death, we explore the musical career of John Lennon. As
we dig into both his solo output and his work with the Beatles, we'll also
get a chance to hear rare bedroom recordings, radio appearances, alternate
takes, tape experiments, studio outtakes, and more, including lots of Lost Lennon Tapes material.
Tune in as we pay tribute to one of rock music's most influential and revered
musicians.

If you're not in the local listening area but still want to check it out, you can stream it off of http://www.wxyc.org

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:57 pm

the station in town 103.1 the hawk is doing a lennon special all day with features at the top of every hour and at 8pm theres a big special....

www.thehawk.ca

you can listen live (streaming)

its been really good all day.

enjoy

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 pm

That and ADT (artifical double tracking) were just the extent of his "weird" vocal effects.
I think the end of "Cold Turkey" qualifies as employing "weird" vocal effects.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:00 pm

Siruis Satellite radio channel 18 was doing a simulcast with the BBC from Abbey Road Studio #2 earlier today...live linkups to bands & artists all over the globe with people covering Lennon & Beatles songs. It was great listening material while running around all afternoon. They'll be replaying it at some point, I don't know when though.

I forget which band said it, but before they played "Give Peace a Chance" they made a comment that if they tried to pull off a 9-day bedside "Love & Peace-in" today their label would drop them. It's true...and a little sad.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:59 pm

I'm glad to see my "Eric Crapton" thread is getting more response than this.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

re

Post by Roman Sokal » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:13 am

much more music channel here in canada played that making of imagine album documentary...it was fantastic. well shot/directed and edited. something about those old school documentaries that show recording sessions- this particular doc and some others romanticize the process beautifully- they add some cool slight mythic proportions to it all. makes me think that recording on a little computer in an otherwise basement or living that looks like it designed for anything but recording has killed the importance and again, if you will, the magic vibe that a studio can impose upon an artist. i think in the past whatever amount of years, all i hear or read about is how a proper studio can intimidate someone. there are actual positive benefits to being in one! (sure, high hourly rates can be a bitch but whatever...)
and back to the lennon doc- like i said with the editing of this one, they pretty much show phil spector not talking at all...just the odd glimpse of him, but it gives such a strong iconic stance/glow to him. and what a great album- it got me listening to it again (of course the original release, not the ono remix which sucked out some spector-esque vibes and tones. jack douglas is a killer engineer too.

i was wondering, what are some other cool television/movie/documentary shows out there (old/new any time period) that show the recording process and is actually cool and directed to be digestable for all? pink floyd at pompeii also comes to mind...what else is out there? i don't dig most of those 'classic albums' shows- fopr one they usually don't touch upon the actual recording of whatever record they focus on, and the studio shots are usually limited to a control room desk that is absolutley brand new and looks like its a nasa instrument panel/desk. (again, the romantic factor i yearn for seeing- a nice old console!)

anyway, i'm rambling but perhaps some of you will appreciate it...

cheers
roman sokal

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:08 am

He was the best.
My favorite songwriter of all time.