Creative uses for an Alesis BRC?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Creative uses for an Alesis BRC?

Post by jmoose » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:45 am

The Adat's were launched a long time ago...well, I still have one for the occasional transfer but I don't really need the BRC for that.

So before I punt it on Ebay, has anyone come up with a creative use for it as a stand-alone piece in the DAW environment? It's got tons of synch options and the track delay feature might be handy with the one Adat I still have...

BTW, if anyone wants to stake a claim on it drop a line.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:02 pm

Did they come out with a new one for the HD24? or is it still the same one they used for the adat??

It would be handy to have if you have a control room separate from the studio,and your doing your own thing.
how much do you want for it?...just curious really,I have a ton of other stuff I need more.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:24 pm

Last I heard was that the BRC is the dealio for the HD24, but you'd have to check with Alesis or someone who owns an HD24. I'm using a DAW with SX3 and this thing is just taking up space...I haven't used it for about two years.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Creative uses for an Alesis BRC?

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:12 pm

jmoose wrote:The Adat's were launched a long time ago...well, I still have one for the occasional transfer but I don't really need the BRC for that.

So before I punt it on Ebay, has anyone come up with a creative use for it as a stand-alone piece in the DAW environment? It's got tons of synch options and the track delay feature might be handy with the one Adat I still have...

BTW, if anyone wants to stake a claim on it drop a line.
I use it for vari-speeding protools beyond what my aardsync II will do. Just have PT chase it. Amazing. Even just for wordclock pull-up 's or downs, it can be great. totally fun. Great for vari-speeding multiple digital devices as well, because of the zillion ways to connect. Also, great as a standalone SMPTE generator, for striping 2", or even printing into a PT session along side of tracks (for various weird uses later, sync wise).

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:07 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I use it for vari-speeding protools beyond what my aardsync II will do. Just have PT chase it. Amazing. Even just for wordclock pull-up 's or downs, it can be great. totally fun. Great for vari-speeding multiple digital devices as well, because of the zillion ways to connect. Also, great as a standalone SMPTE generator, for striping 2", or even printing into a PT session along side of tracks (for various weird uses later, sync wise).
Now we're cookin' with fire! It probably won't for sample rates beyond 48kHz will it? So like, if I tried to vari-speed a session at 88.2 with the BRC would I be shit outta luck?

I know I could hook it up and try it myself but it's so much easier to just ask, especially when the stuff's scattered around and really...I'm just lazy. :D
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:42 pm

jmoose wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I use it for vari-speeding protools beyond what my aardsync II will do. Just have PT chase it. Amazing. Even just for wordclock pull-up 's or downs, it can be great. totally fun. Great for vari-speeding multiple digital devices as well, because of the zillion ways to connect. Also, great as a standalone SMPTE generator, for striping 2", or even printing into a PT session along side of tracks (for various weird uses later, sync wise).
Now we're cookin' with fire! It probably won't for sample rates beyond 48kHz will it? So like, if I tried to vari-speed a session at 88.2 with the BRC would I be shit outta luck?

I know I could hook it up and try it myself but it's so much easier to just ask, especially when the stuff's scattered around and really...I'm just lazy. :D
True. i have never used it for anything beyond 48k. I guess you could do it though... I have though about that... like clocking through an aardsync II I guess I could send WC out of the "X2" outputs.... hmmm..... i dunno... maybe...