Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Meriphew
deaf.

Russia - Strong arming EH?

Post by Meriphew » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:46 pm

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:57 pm

I can't believe how well written that article is. It actually explains why anybody would want a tube amp. Amazing.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Man that's scary stuff. Hopefully he can retain the factory and keeping pumping stuff out.

Though I wonder...should we start hording tubes?
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:13 am

Can you post the full article here so we all dont all have to subscribe.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:58 am

Another link had this:

- Threatens Acquisition by Force

New Sensor Corporation, best known for its Electro-Harmonix line of Rock & Roll music effects, today finds itself in an unlikely battle against SOK, a notorious multi-billion dollar Russian conglomerate with aggressive real estate aspirations.

The Samara-based SOK has made headlines in Russian newspapers recently for its ambitious acquisitions in the city of Saratov. Headed by Yuri Kachmazov, who reportedly travels with ten or more bodyguards, SOK has already purchased Saratov's largest bridge building company, and is seeking control of its port on the Volga River.

Through its subsidiary RBE Saratov (Russian Business Estate), SOK is now planning to acquire ExpoPUL, a factory located in Saratov and owned by New Sensor Corporation in New York City. One of the three remaining vacuum tube factories in the world, it produces technologies that are increasingly rare in the digital age and cherished globally by guitarists and audiophiles.

RBE told ExpoPUL management it would "make big problems" for the company if they refused to sell the building. Shortly thereafter, RBE sent notification to ExpoPUL that its power would be disabled on January 1, 2006, effectively shutting down all production. Despite these threats, New Sensor president Mike Matthews declined to sell.

Matthews, a past winner of the New York State Small Business Person of the Year award and a fairly eccentric Rock & Roll character, is poised to fight for ExpoPUL and its 900 skilled workers. "We don't give into extortion," he says. "We have no intention of selling the factory and jeopardizing hundreds of jobs while letting these valued technologies become extinct." Matthews is currently appealing to the American Embassy in Moscow, along with several other government officials in both the U.S. and Russia.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:18 am

I wonder when the kidnappings and extortion will start.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:20 am

Wasn't it the mafia that pushed him to Russia in the first place. Sheesh. Guy can't catch a break.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:33 am

Russia is a huge mess and I don't think most in the US understand what's going on there. Putin is rolling back democracy with Wall-Mart like zeal. It's very sad.