Spectrasonics 101pre and 502 EQ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aisjump
audio school graduate

Spectrasonics 101pre and 502 EQ

Post by Aisjump » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:46 pm

I've got the oppertunity to purchase a pair of spectrasonic 101pres with the 502 Eqs. I havent heard them before, nor have i heard much about them. I know alot of people like the 610 compressor.
any thoughts on the sound of these units?

-steve

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:55 pm

Really good. I have the EQ's. I have the compressor. The Mic pre's are great. Kind of "smacky" like neve germaniums. Super mid detail attack.

Aisjump
audio school graduate

Post by Aisjump » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:38 pm

Thanks Joel. Some other people I've asked have said the EQs are really subtle... like you have to really crank the knobs to hear much difference. Do you find that to be the case?

-steve

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:10 pm

Aisjump wrote:Thanks Joel. Some other people I've asked have said the EQs are really subtle... like you have to really crank the knobs to hear much difference. Do you find that to be the case?

-steve
Yes, but oddly only at certain frequencies. The inductors seem to really ring at a few frequencies, so you can make some amazing boosts and cuts at them though. Really great EQ. I am just a sucker for inductor based EQ... hell i had an entire custom console built around inductor based eq....

jamesfei
audio school

Post by jamesfei » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:10 am

Aisjump wrote:Thanks Joel. Some other people I've asked have said the EQs are really subtle... like you have to really crank the knobs to hear much difference. Do you find that to be the case?

-steve
I have a pair of SS 500 eq's, the two band switcheable. They are not very aggresive eq's but are musical and work as designed--in the feedback loop of their 101 or 110 cards, in place of the usual gain setting resistor. If you use it as a passive eq, the response curve will be completely thrown off, also reversing the boost and cuts. Although that may yield some interesting results...

Best,

James