Which Guitar: Yamaha, Gibson, Fender or Line 6?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Which Guitar: Yamaha, Gibson, Fender or Line 6?

Post by foxystoat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:00 pm

Subjective as this is, I would appreciate help in choosing what will be my second electric guitar. Currently, I've a Yamaha SGV300 I bought about five years ago and am in love with it. It sounds sort of like a Stratocaster, sort of like a telecaster and reminiscent of different Harmony and homemade guitars I've bought at pawn shops in the past.

Since I like the 300 series model so much, I am considering an SGV800. From reviews I've read, it sounds like a Gibson LP Junior to some and a Mosrite to others. All I know is it would sound different, because it uses Alnico V pickups instead of single coil Ferrites. Also, there is another consideration to this which will be explained later.

Second: Gibson Les Paul Faded Doublecut. I've played one in a store for a bit and liked the sound, but I was also playing through a Fender Twin Reverb which might have colored my opinion. I don't own a valve amplifier, I use a Tech 21 Trademark 10 and/or a PODxt Live. I wanted to use one of these at the store so I could compare it to what I was familiar with, but neither was available. I'd need more time with it to make a judgement, but the neck may be too wide for my hands and the body weight was too light; to the point where it felt like the headstock would outweight the body mass.

Third: Fender 60's Telcaster w/Rosewood Neck. I've not played this particular model, but have played a 50's Telecaster and liked it. However, I prefer Rosewood necks. Mind you, I'm talking about the reissues, not originals from either era.

Fourth: (prefatorily, you can stop laughing at me) Line 6 Variax. I *do not* want this to disintegrate into an analog v. digital debate. I deal with enough of that garbage as a synthesist and know that readers of TapeOp know better. Yes there is a difference, but it's one that I can't afford. Such are the reasons why I bought a POD and also why this guitar interests me. I have played one extensively and appreciate the variety of sounds, not as emulations (because I don't have the originals to compare them to), but as a toolkit for sound design. If it only offered the resonator models, I would consider it for those alone. Also, it also has a 'glitch' in the pitch algorithm that 'warbles' when you use the Workbench software to create 'virtual tunings'. People are bitching about it all over the Line 6 forum, but I love the sound and hope they make an even more severe and customizable version of it availble in an update. They could make it a built in modulation of sorts for those that want to utilize it. One of my favorite sounds is a result of multiple time/pitchsample alterations blended together. All this brings me (and hopefully you, if you've not fallen asleep) back to considering the SGV800.

Ideally, I'd like to buy the Yamaha and the Variax, take the innards of the Variax and incorporate them into the Yamaha, giving me a guitar body and neck that I actually like to play. I also intend to take the ridiculous metallic flake paint finish off the body and headstock, shape down the lower horn and make a wooden pickguard to replace the plastic one. Granted, this would take time and research, but I think it would be worthwhile.

Well...

I may have answered my question in that last paragraph, as to what second guitar I should get, but I didn't mean to.

A point of reference may also be helpful so I will list some people whose guitar playing and 'sound' I like: Jonny Greenwood, Josh Homme, Ray and Dave Davies. Many more could be listed, but I can think of no reason to do so.

Again, thanks for reading this long, long post.

Regards,
Benjamin W.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:09 pm

WELL, I guess you answered your own question satisfactorily

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Post by foxystoat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:51 pm

Tatertot wrote:WELL, I guess you answered your own question satisfactorily
If I did, I wouldn't have submitted the post. Maybe I should have changed the subject title and first paragraph a bit.

I would appreciate others opinions of these guitars. Maybe some people own them and have been playing longer than I have and can give me some useful information rather than a satirical remark. Unless your post was supposed to be followed by one of the terrific TapeOp smileys?

Regards,
Benjamin W.

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:53 pm

I have a custom modified sgv300 which is my FAVORITE guitar! One of my friends loves it so much that he bought the 800. One thing to note is that not only does the 800 have different pickups, binding, other features, the neck IS DIFFERENT and feels different. I would say that while the 300 feels strat like, the 800 would be more Paul like :-) I would LOVE to have another 300 with Variaz guts! That would be super hot. I sanded down my green sgv and stained it banana yellow ;-) It looks super cool because you can still se the wood grain. I also replaced the stock pickups with a Cool Rails, a strat style single coil, and a Hot Rails (all seymour duncan). The pickups are also split on push/pull pots for volume and tone. Love it!!! I call it the banana. Fruity.

[/img]
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:10 pm

I'm mainly a Fender/Gibson guy (more Fender). You cannot go wrong with a good Tele/Strat/Les Paul. Go out and play a bunch and buy the one that speaks to you.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:12 pm

well there is the yamaha sc300t and the newer egv103...
they both have the hip shape but use more standard p/ups....i really love my sc 300t....its my favorite!

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:18 pm

I think you should do the Line 6 surgery as noted in your noted paragraph to which I referred "satirical"ly. Your other guitaric options seem so dull by comparison. I really like your idea of hacking the Line 6 guitar device to make such a unique ax that would be the envy of the rest of us.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

d

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:32 pm

In my opinion, cheap guitars are always the way to go, unless you're a serious Satriani type weirdo who plays live a lot. So very much can go wrong and right in the chain BESIDES the actual guitar you're using that it seems pointless to spend a lot of money on a Les Paul. And for my two cents- I think Gibsons are the most over-priced line of musical or audio gear IN ALL OF HISTORY. Seriously not worth the ridiculous cost. My girlfriend has a Hondo Les Paul knockoff she got for 75 bucks that is indistinguishable in sound and feel from a real Les Paul. It's snake oil, my friends.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:54 pm

YEEAAH cheap guitars. I alternate between an ancient Carvin dc and an ancient Aria archtop. There was a time in the early-mid 70s when the knockoff stuff was actually well made. I swear these two sweet childs of mine were better made than the QC-deficient lumber being cranked out by Gibson and sold through their "preferred" dealer networks nowadays. A major benefit of playing a cheap log is that you don't have to get all fussy when you get a chip in that paint. That is the patina. Also, you don't need a guitar case! Okay, anyway, not an option given in this exercise. Sorry for the t-t-tangent. I hit my hundredth post this week and suddenly I friggin' think I'm Joel Hamilton. So sorry.

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:05 pm

Cheap guitars rule. I love my wall of Korea. The Pre-Fender DeArmonds are killer (some anyway-especially the 77 series, some 66s are cool once you beef them up a little). They were made by guild and I have an M77 that I modified to look like the rusty pual by james trussart (SP?). I put in new pickups and some other stuff and BAM! chunky smooth beast. Love it. I also absolutely love my Danelectro DC-3 double cutaway formica hollow plywood special with 3 lipstick pickups and the famous "blow" switch. This one I actually managed to leave alone (did he say "stock?"). I also have a Dean Baby V that sounds MEATY! Those pickups really sound great. I also just acquired a rare AMERICAN MADE squire strat (1989) that I need to get set up before rejoicing about ;-)
McKay Garner

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:09 pm

yeah, I'm such a cheap country Yankee that I actually PREFER shitty equipment for a lot of things. I just feel so much better using stuff that I don't care about- and I love the feeling of getting amazing sound out of stuff that I didn't pay $3000 for.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:09 pm

American Squier? No kidden?

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:17 pm

You should also just stick to Mackie or Behringer mic pres and Chinese microphones, as all of the expensive mic pres (API/Neve/Great River/etc) and microphones (old Neumann/Telefunken/Soundelux/etc) are just snake oil. Seriously, if you are looking for a great sounding guitar, then don't buy a piece of junk. If you're just looking for a guitar that has funky character, then by all means search outa cheapo off the wall brand. Just my opinion, but good guitar tone starts with a good guitar (aside from the player) and continues down the chain. You're final sound is only as good as it's weakest link.

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:18 pm

Tatertot wrote:American Squier? No kidden?
Isn't that crazy? I got it in a trade (with a bunch of other gear) and blew it off at first. I started to sell it for $75 but looked at the headstock at the last minute and saw the words "Made in U.S.A"
Freaky. It's not a replacement neck either. Says Squire as well. It's like Big Foot I tell ya. Big Foot.
McKay Garner

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

f

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:28 pm

I don't know. I really have to disagree about the guitar thing. I really think that Gibson runs a racket. I'd never buy one- I'd go for the Epiphone version.