AT2020 or SP B1?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vbibber
audio school

AT2020 or SP B1?

Post by vbibber » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:44 am

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a budget mic (around 100$). And these are some picks that cost about the same here in the Netherlands.

AT2020
Studio Projects B1
Behringer B1
MXL 2006

I will mostly do singer/songwriter style recordings with acoustic guitar and vocals. I like a warm folky/country style sound. For a man I've got a rather high voice. I read the AT2020 works quite well on this type of vocal, but I'm a bit worried the sound will be not warm enough because of low-end roll off. How do the other mics compare to the AT2020 on warmness? Everyone is quite enthusiastic about the SP B1, but I also read it's not great on vocals. While I'd like a mic which is in the first place good on vocals. What do you guys think? (and don't tell me I shoud buy a rode nt, or another mic which is just too expensive for me..other 100$ suggestions are welcome of course :). Already thanks for your replies!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:33 am

Since you are considering Studio Projects then they are having a decent B-stock sale right now. Check the link:

http://www.pmiaudio.com/bstock.html

I have a C1 that I really like and has been really useful in a lot of different applications. For budget mics I really like it. I can't comment on the B series you are looking at cause I have never heard one in person.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

vbibber
audio school

Post by vbibber » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:56 am

tnx t-rex! but i don't live in the USA, otherwise I'd definitely order me a B1 from that site!