space echo techniques

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chillhouse
studio intern

space echo techniques

Post by chillhouse » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:36 pm

so i just bought my christmas present to myself, a roland space echo re-201. i'm brand new to this box. does anyone have any cool tricks, tips, or techninques to offer? situations that it works great in?

also, after a vigorous cleaning, de-magging, and eyeball cal, it seems to be mostly working like a champ. one potential problem, the output seems to be low. lower anyway than my other line level gear. i get good level on input but soft on output. i have the output switch on hi. is this normal for this box?

thanks.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:26 pm

yeah, the level of the 201 is a bit low....

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:00 am

Love the Re-201! It's not strictly a line level device. You'll get much better performance if you drop a line level input signal to instrument level with some sort of impedence matching device (ReAmp...), feed the Space Echo, then use an outboard line amp to boost the signal back up.

Very cool effects can be had by dynamically adjusting the "repeat rate" knob (which controls transport speed) and the "intensity" knob (which controls the amount of signal feedback) while the program material is being played. The box is much more fun to use this way than as a "set and forget" type thing.

Enjoy your 201! Very fun device to play with...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:30 am

hey I like setting my re-201 to have no verb and as dry and short of a delay as possible..gives you kind of an auto doubling effect that is great for making parts a little more "special"..mostly voice I use that on..

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:05 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:hey I like setting my re-201 to have no verb and as dry and short of a delay as possible..gives you kind of an auto doubling effect that is great for making parts a little more "special"..mostly voice I use that on..
That's a good idea, I need to try that.

BTW, different types of tape make a huge difference in the volume of the echo. You might try a couple to see what you like best.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:11 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:hey I like setting my re-201 to have no verb and as dry and short of a delay as possible..gives you kind of an auto doubling effect that is great for making parts a little more "special"..mostly voice I use that on..
I'll second that, sort of lennon slapback. Pan the dry and wet a little to the sides to make it huge.

Another neat thing is to run signals through it, 100% wet, only one repeat, just let it touch tape and then back to your daw, fiddle a little with the speed knob to make it go a little vinyl pitchy. Works wonders if you want a little sampled-from-old-wobbly-vinyl-feel to that boring piano. You'll have to move the recorded result backwards to get it in time with the rest though.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:01 am

eskimo wrote:lennon slapback.
*leans way back*

*WHAP!!!!*

You asked for it, echo boy!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:20 am

Can echoplexes do the short, dry, single slapback thing?

I'm wondering. Iv'e never used either of those units.