"I Love It Loud" Drum Sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sassi
audio school graduate

"I Love It Loud" Drum Sound

Post by Sassi » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:49 am

Does anyone know how Michael James Jackson get that Kiss`s Creatures of the Night (the album, not the music) drum sound?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:06 pm

I recall an interview where Eric Carr mentioned that he was playing both bass drums in unison on that intro.

Byron Jacquot

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:32 pm

I love "I Love It Loud". Glad somebody brought that up here.

I always suspected it was mainly a lot of room mic(s) in the mix. If memory serves, the guitars and bass in that song are very quiet in the mix for a rock/metal song. I think that makes a big difference as that frees up a lot of room for the drum ambience. That's awesome that Carr played both bass drums in unison. That'll help get the air movin' a bit more for the room mics.

drliebs
gettin' sounds

Re:I Love It Loud Drum Sound

Post by drliebs » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:47 pm

I don't know, but I would also guess that it is a fair dose of room mics, probably compressed a fair amount. It kind of has the same vibe as Rock Candy from Montrose, (or Bohnam of course)

You might experiment with putting a gate on the room mics or small reflective room reverb, smash it in the compressor and see what happens.
If it's not Scottish it's CRAP

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

re

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:14 am

a little while ago i was on some big kiss fan website which had a ton of soundfiles stemming from pre-kiss days to present. there was some info up there about the creatures of the night sessions, as well as some drums only tracks you could download....pretty cool it was...

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: re

Post by joeysimms » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:20 pm

Roman Sokal wrote:a little while ago i was on some big kiss fan website which had a ton of soundfiles stemming from pre-kiss days to present. there was some info up there about the creatures of the night sessions, as well as some drums only tracks you could download....pretty cool it was...
Link please??
beware bee wear

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 pm

joeysimms wrote:
Roman Sokal wrote:a little while ago i was on some big kiss fan website which had a ton of soundfiles stemming from pre-kiss days to present. there was some info up there about the creatures of the night sessions, as well as some drums only tracks you could download....pretty cool it was...
Link please??
here ye go:
http://www.kissfaq.com/multimedia/audio/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:55 am

Roman Sokal wrote:
joeysimms wrote:
Link please??
here ye go:
http://www.kissfaq.com/multimedia/audio/
Thank you, Sir.
beware bee wear