Tabla, where to buy? What to look for? many questions HELP

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dither
pluggin' in mics

Tabla, where to buy? What to look for? many questions HELP

Post by dither » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:15 pm

Hi All,

I know nothing about this beautiful instrument except I that I want to learn how to play. I would like to purchase one but I have no idea what to look for, what to start with, what to avoid, etc. I will be buying this online so I need to find a reputable dealer...although I am close to Vancouver B.C. so if there is a place up there please mention it.

Many thanks!

lightning_electronics

Post by lightning_electronics » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:33 pm

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:44 am

lightning_electronics wrote:try www.tabla.com
Where you can read sentences like this:
tabla.com wrote: The dayan is heavy shyshiam

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:38 pm

Lark in the Morning has always been a great place to find quality ethnic instruments. I've purchased a few things from them (incl. a Berimbau) and they'll always answer your questions over the phone about stuff they have in stock.

www.larkinam.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 pm

At the risk of horrible impropriety, I might suggest that you give a call and or take a gander at the webpage of the company that I (sometimes) work for, the Music Explorium. If you call on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, you can talk to Jill, the percussion lady. She's been playing tablas for a number of years, and can give you the lowdown. They're a nice small business, and I would definitely recommend them even if I didn't occasionally work for them.

edit: By the by, do have a teacher lined up? Cuz that's very important for tabla. Remember that its a classical instrument with a very long (apprenticeship-type) tradition. That might be something that you'd want to look into even before purchasing instruments, cuz a teacher might have some ideas about what sort of drums you should have to start out.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:03 pm

Lark In The Morning is a cool store. I haven't bought anything from them in years but they used to have a very friendly staff. Steve Weiss Music is also a great place to buy imported stuff if you know exactly what you want. Steve's always had some interesting dealings with stuff he gets into the country and seems like he has to unload quickly for whatever reason, which is why you can get a really good deal sometimes. He's not very patient on the phone, though (which can be really amusing at times), so just be sure you're confident about what you want.

They're blowing out discontinued Spectrasound windchimes right now, by the way.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:09 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:By the by, do have a teacher lined up? Cuz that's very important for tabla. Remember that its a classical instrument with a very long (apprenticeship-type) tradition. That might be something that you'd want to look into even before purchasing instruments, cuz a teacher might have some ideas about what sort of drums you should have to start out.
Seriously. Buying such an instrument before choosing a teacher is backwards.