What else do you do for money if you do something else?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:31 pm

I do cancer stuff on things.

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:31 am

I own an independent/art-house video rental shop.

My recording is strictly of the homebound self-recording amateur variety, and honestly, I wouldn't be interested in doing it for a living.

--K

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:04 am

I do wetland and prairie restoration/ mitigation. Erosion and sediment control on massive constructions sites. And my favorite, controlled burns of natural areas. I work for an engineering firm. It's ok, but sometimes I feel the soul being sucked out of me. That I do not like.

I'm working on a deal to do studio stuff with some other guys, which hopefully will gradually become full time. I'm super patient, and like working with young and not so developed bands, so I think I can handle the period of taking any job that comes along just fine.

We shall see...

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:52 am

electrical/acoustical engineer at FoMoCo. studio's the weekend job.

"golden handcuffs" indeed.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:25 pm

i work 20 hours a week at a medical library. it sucks, but it's just enough to pay rent, keep me from starving to death, and i have plenty of time to work on music (drink).

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:34 pm

I've got a pretty sweet accompanist job at the local university. I play hand-drums for modern and jazz dance classes. It's about 15 hours a week and its really fun and I get to meet cool people and keep my playing up. I also teach 4-6 students a week.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:44 pm

I work 2 days a week at a used record store. Other than that, I record and gig full time, right now, though I'm really needing to find some other day job, because I'm barely getting by right now. The band tours a lot right now, we're usually on the road 2-3 weeks every couple of months. Plus gigging almost every weekend. And I'm currently finishing up a very cool CD for a solo guitarist that I've been working on for a couple of months.

It's funny, because for just about the first time in my life I'm doing what I love almost all the time, and the constant money worries are pretty much ruining it for me. I barely cover my expenses every month, and little things, like the CD burner in my computer dying last week, are pretty catastrophic. When I was designing educational software for a living a couple pf years ago, I was able to buy a lot of cool recording gear and instruments. Now I can barely afford to maintain the gear and instruments.

Anyway, don't mean to whine too much, I've got another recording gig to take me through February starting soon, so I'll survive.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:07 pm

i can't remember but it seems like there was a thread like this almost recently. i used to have a 'real job'. i used to be a scientist and do genetic engineering. but i got fired. my boss told me i could keep my job if i agreed to go to counseling. i opted to get fired. i've never regretted it. i think he mostly thought i was crazy because i had opinions and they weren't always the same as his. we had these really intense discussions about all this. that basically boiled down to me needing to be reprogrammed. though the dude won't forget me. he had to pull out his hankie somtimes.

now i'm a waitress. i have a little studio in my house. i like to spend lots of time recording and playing music. but i don't want to have a career. i spent a lot of time and energy on becoming a scientist. and i was pretty disillusioned when it didn't work out. now i just try to keep my chi balanced as much as i can and whatever comes of it does. i've always gotten along with artistic types. one of the people who fired me told me i had an artistic temperament and i should do something with that.

so anyway, i've evolved here. sometimes. but i really think i'm much less career oriented than most people on this board.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:34 pm

A bunch of family members died, so it left me with alot of cash to do what ever I want, and treat people as I please, and not be a slave to some useless motherfucker. The longer I stay out of the work world, the less I think I could ever go back to being a slave.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:19 pm

Ever since the male prostitution thing started drying up (after I started losing more hair), I've pretty much been immersed in audio around 80 hours a week.

If I'm not in here, I'm doing theatrical & live work or sound design or something...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

aintnosunshine
audio school

Post by aintnosunshine » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:44 pm

drewkon wrote:I play poker for cash. It has quickly become boring and frustrating, but Im sure that could be said of most other jobs I could get.
I did that for awhile, but found that I was making the equivalent of $3/hr. The added stress and frustration, along with spending 12 hours a day thinking/reading/breathing about poker made me quit. Maybe if I was willing to risk a bigger bankroll I could've made $6/hr!!! ;)

It was fun at first, and it felt like free money... but it seriously turned into that dreaded 'grind'.

Right now, I collect unemployment, which has proven to be far more profitable. ;) Unfortunately it runs out soon. Don't get me wrong though, would love to find good work. Unemployment is barely enough to just keep me afloat.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:09 pm

If you add them all up (the jobs we all have) there is one lopsided community, hooooray!
Those are the most interesting "other jobs" I've seen. Now, I wonder if I can get a set of golden handcuffs for male prostitution. Just kidding.
Actually after reading your answers it kinda makes me want another job, I say this during my slow season, like a fool, knowing it kicks back in in January.
Harumph!

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm a professional student studying some mish-mash of electrical engineering, nanotechnolgy and biotechnology. I've now been in school for over 23 years. It gets fusterating and annoying at times, but it's hard to complain about the freedom of the graduate student lifestyle -- work on what you want, when you want and get paid for it. Another year or two and I might have to confront the 'real world' for once.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:02 pm

my new favorite typo: "fusterating".

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:10 pm

"Fusterating": No joke, my junior high hockey coach actually PRONOUNCED it that way. I think it's actually a colloquialism, in the same vein as saying "accrost" when you mean "across". Colloquial spelling is a whole other deal though.