Nice Sounding EQ for ProToools 6.4

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

Nice Sounding EQ for ProToools 6.4

Post by wedge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:05 am

Having heard on this messageboard that the new digirack stuff works with PT 6.4, even though digidesign says you need 6.7, or whatever, I installed it, and really like it. Problem is, it definitely is *not* compatible with my system, and all sorts of instable hoo-haw has ensued.

My question is, what's a good, nice-sounding multiband eq for PT 6.4, comparable to EQIII, for instance?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:11 am

Thats weird the EQIII doesn't work with your system, because I am working with 6.4 and it works fine (unless I have a bunch of them on the AUX then it starts to eat up the CPU and the visuals on the EQ plug in start messing up).

I would say the that the Renaissance EQ is pretty comparable. You can demo it first and see what you think.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:20 am

InvalidInk wrote:(unless I have a bunch of them on the AUX then it starts to eat up the CPU and the visuals on the EQ plug in start messing up).
This is exactly what happens to me, too. It bogs down the system to the point of molassass, like taking 30 seconds after clicking the transport for the song to play. Plus, lot's o'error messages. Also, I cannuh bounce down at all.

I'm not bussing to an aux, though. On this particular song, I have about 7 EQIIIs as inserts on different tracks...

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:15 am

I wonder if it's an OS problem. I've had funky stuff happen with plug-ins that upgrading to the most current version of my OS solved. I was in Mac OS 10.3.8, and my FxPansion was acting weird. I upgraded to 10.3.9, and it works better.

I have a focusrite eq that was bundled with my system that works alright. I hate the comp, but the eq will do in a pinch.

I mostly use EQ III and Filter Factory. I kind of have a phobia about plug-in EQs, so I haven't really explored the options like I should.

John

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:26 am

It's occurring to me that EQIII simply might require too much cpu cycles for my relatively meager pc... In other words, not necessarily a compatibility issue. Would the Ren EQ need similar amounts of power to run, I wonder?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:39 pm

Not sure on the actual stats but I think the RenEQ is pretty light on the CPU load. I could dump a bunch of them on individual tracks with my old 800 MHz processor and not see an effect.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:18 pm

wedge wrote: This is exactly what happens to me, too. It bogs down the system to the point of molassass, like taking 30 seconds after clicking the transport for the song to play. Plus, lot's o'error messages. Also, I cannuh bounce down at all.

I'm not bussing to an aux, though. On this particular song, I have about 7 EQIIIs as inserts on different tracks...
When this happens to me I either start making bus tracks or if its a bunch of different EQ settings on the tracks I just go "Well its time to be brave" and just use it in the Audio Suite.

I know that stuff can be annoying but you can work around it.

Have you tried the new Digi Comp/Limiter? It's free but the same thing that happens with the EQ happens with the comp. It sounds sooo much better than the old Digi comp though.

The Renaissance EQ and comp use a lot less CPU. They are both comparable to the new free Digi plug ins the only down side.. It is $200 more than the Dig plug ins. Plus side is though you get 3 other plug ins also. So if you have money and are really bothered by the Digi stuff messing up then get it. If you don't mind doing some little comprimses then I say just use the Digi plug ins.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:09 pm

regarding the original question

Paris eq is a really nice plugin. It's vst so you need the vst-rtas thing.
4 band parametric. works nice for hi or low passing. sounds nice as an eq as long as you don't go crazy with it. low cpu usage.

Don't have a link right now, but a search will turn it up. It's free.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:07 pm

I'm running a 001 system w/ PT LE 6.4 on a 800Mhz sawtooth G4 running OS 10.3.2 and I use both the EQ III and the new dynamics III that just came out no problem.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:49 pm

The only EQ plugin I seem to use these days is the waves renEQ.
I am looking forward to getting Qclone, as I have the luxury of some really nice hardware EQ's.

Even with pultec/massive passive/custom console/ filtek/neumann/melcor EQ's around, I still use the RenEQ for radical filtering and even for serious EQ'ing of certain elements.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:29 pm

I'm not sure if they run on 6.4, but the URS "N" and "A" series are excellent. A little pricey but the most musical EQ plug-ins I've found.

Chris

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Studio2roll » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:11 pm

I run 6.4 on a G4/002 and haven't had problems with the EQIII yet (knock on wood). But I don't use much in the way of EQ plugs anyway, I try to get my sounds on the way in. When I do need to cut or boost its usually with Nomad Factory's Blue Tubes PEQ-2B. It's a Pultec style EQ thats extremely low on CPU usage. For Parametric EQ I like the one in the T-rackS suite.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

logancircle
tinnitus

dyn III

Post by logancircle » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:36 pm

nacho459, I'm suprprised to hear you say you got the Dynamics III to work on your system. I have the exact same setup and unpacked the DynIII and it just shows up in my plugins folder with an icon that looks like a 2-pronged plug, not the usual plugin icon. Any know about this? The EQIII works fine with mine too, and it's cool--not as cool as Ren Eq or Trackplug, but it's great for free.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

affordable EQs

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:37 pm

see these websites in NO particular order:
1) tritonedigital.com (smooth analog-ish for cheap, nice guys)
2) rogernicholsdigital.com (frequalizer= phase linear, more for mastering and "snapshotting" i.e. it can copy the EQ off a reference vocal (say you're comping from different sounding takes) and make ALL the others sound like it... uniquelizer's a good multiband w/ unlimited bands and some cool harmonics stuff)
3) mixdsp.com or other Sony Oxford dealer.. EQ if nice, hey FAB loves it. A little more expensive but probably higher quality?
4) MASSEYPLUGINS.COM doesn't have a multiband EQ but anyone using plug-ins should get the full working demos and then buy them cause they sound great and are super affordable.

AVOID WAVES of course if you don't like paying rent each year on plug-ins you already purchased. The other brands above are all real legit as far as do-able upgrade fees.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:46 pm

My favorite is the McDsp Filterbank... at least until Massey makes a "full featured" eq. :D