Vegas 6.. Good or Bad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Vegas 6.. Good or Bad?

Post by MikeCzech » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:26 pm

Looks like it mixes in surround, and supports VST now..

Anyone have any opinions?

What does Nuendo have over Vegas? Video aside, how does the audio side compare to Cubase?

Velcrocore
ass engineer

Post by Velcrocore » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:10 pm

Well.. I've been using vegas software for the past 4 years(audio recording.) I love it. I've been trying to play around with pro-tools more, but it just doesn't do it for me. In vegas, you can line up an mp3 next to a high def wav file with out having to resample anything. Same with video. Sony bought sonic foundry a couple years ago, and have put some real money into the software.

Good luck!

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:33 am

I'm a Logic user myself, but my brother and I started doing industrials for companies a few years back and he has always used Vegas as his video editing program, so I bought an interface and monitors for his setup and have done all music tracks and voice over work into Vegas since then so I don't have to worry about dumping tracks back and forth.

I will say that I think it works great, and I haven't had too many issues with it other than the normal, Windows drivers/getting my interface to work, but once I worked out the kinks it was good to go! I'm interested in working with the 5.1 in the future since we have some small film projects coming up, and we are also doing live theatre videos and I would love to mix in the ambience of the hall in 5.1! I'll post my thoughts on that once I've screwed everything up a couple times trying to make it work :)...

Josh

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:34 pm

I've been using Vegas since version 1.0 and never looked back.
It always made a lot of sense to me for some reason.
I have Vegas 5 right now and it's great. The only real audio difference in 6 is the addition of VST support. So if that's a must have, you'll need 6, but if you can get by without it, see if you can snag 5 at a discount somewhere. Then upgrade to 7 if it seems worth it (I'm hoping they add that "track freeze" feature some programs have).