Beringer Thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Beringer Thread

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:22 am

So, i'll be at some show in a small bar a lot and be asked to help with sound a bit. More often than not, they have a b'ger mixer. I wanted to say that the lack of solo buttons really annoy me, and its very hard to tell whats what with out playing with the faders. However, i think they sound kind of awesome. I like them much better than the old mackies. They go real well with Dean Markley guitar pickups.

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:07 am

A Behringer compressor nearly ruined a show for me the other week. Every time it was activated, it made this really weird "digital" sound.

I've never really liked their stuff, but it is crazy cheap.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:09 am

My Behringer patchbay was rock solid, FWIW. I also used Behri active monitors for a couple of years, and they weren't too bad at all.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:32 am

I'm a bit torn on the Behringer thing. I have an old Behringer mixer that got me through a few years of tracking to a Tascam 238. The thing barely works anymore, random stuff just started quitting on it. And now I'm working with an MX5050 and an Allen & Heath board, so I figure "I'm past that".

But I find myself yearning for the pres on that old behringer......crazy, I know. But with a 57 on an overdriven guitar amp I got some great sounds out of those pres......the key being to crank all three bands of EQ along with the pre going to tape. Big full guitar tracks with enough sparkle.

I've been fighting the temptation to bust that old board out again just to try it for that on my current setup. My worry is that it'll tonally clash too much with my current setup as opposed to the somewhat lo-fi 238. I guess there's only one way to find out......

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:13 am

I actually like the T1953 loaded with Tesla/JJ ECC83S's or NOS 12AU7's (RCA's and Sylvania's especially). It's totally useful for acoustic guitar and some other string instruments (celtic harp, etc.). It's not bad for using on small-watt guitar amps. I love the high pass filter on that one.

The UB Pro series mixers can be really quiet and transparent with the EQ turned off and they actually have a lot of headroom IMO. You just have to tweak them alot and you'll get what you need out of them. They're actually not that bad for bass DI in a pinch.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:39 am

it's interesting how often behringer comes up as a topic for debate. their products are such a mixed bag that there's kinda like this love/hate thing going on with them among people who are into recording. true, most of the people who really like their stuff are amatures like myself (although i wouldn't say i really like their products on the whole).

behringer makes stuff that's good for right now, if you can't afford anything nice but you need something. in kyle motor's post earlier in the thread, it was phrased like "i used a mixer that got me through recording on a 238 (or whatever)." that's exactly it, it's not investment gear. it gets you through until you can afford something good. my gibson 335 on the other hand, that was something i bought and knew i'd have it probably forever.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:56 pm

I have a Behringer 15 band stereo EQ & a headphome amp that both do what they are supposed to do & neither cost me much $$$. No complaints so far!

Dave H.
Will Drum For Money

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:22 pm

I took apart a behringer b2 (i think) mic we had lying around the tv station and I can tell you it is a very well made mic with a really really nice free mount, better than others that sell for big $$$..as for the sound..it sounded like a mic!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:24 pm

Behringer thread sucks, guys. Get the Neumann three-ply ploly/cotton blend. It costs more but it's worth it. I once fixed my windbreaker with Behringer thread, and it was ripped to shreds in like 30 minutes.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:14 pm

i have a behringer 4X12 guitar cab and it rules my world. it has greats mids, bass is eh, but for the price it can not be beat.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:42 pm

inverseroom wrote:Behringer thread sucks, guys. Get the Neumann three-ply ploly/cotton blend. It costs more but it's worth it. I once fixed my windbreaker with Behringer thread, and it was ripped to shreds in like 30 minutes.

I totally bought a denoiser after seeing you talk it up and that damned thing rocks! i use 1/2" 8 tr and it's a dream for NR.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:00 pm

Wooah, Tape Op, you used to be cool, man. Now it's all behringer this, behringer that.

I feel that their unethical business practices are enough reason to avoid Behringer. I played with a Line 6 rip-off amp once (now that's the pot calling the kettle black or something) - it was full of features, like it had a line input and stuff, but sounded like crap.

b

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:23 pm

Brian Brock wrote:Wooah, Tape Op, you used to be cool, man. Now it's all behringer this, behringer that.

I feel that their unethical business practices are enough reason to avoid Behringer. I played with a Line 6 rip-off amp once (now that's the pot calling the kettle black or something) - it was full of features, like it had a line input and stuff, but sounded like crap.

b
I'd take this message board over the HomeRecording BBS anyday.

As far a Behinger stuff I've used I've been satisfied with direct mic pre's from their small mixers (not much better than Mackie). Their comps/lims are better than an Alesis 3630 but just marginally.

Personally I find the Behinger stuff to be pretty harsh. For me it's been a good 3 or more years since I've tried a Behringer item so I can't really say if they're better than they used to be. It's kinda what I used to think about PreSounus stuff, it's not until I actually work with some of their newer lines before I can give a proper perspective... but with the newer PreSonus stuff I've been very happy and surprised with the results.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:35 pm

inverseroom wrote: and it was ripped to shreds in like 30 minutes.
Don't tell me those 30 minutes weren't inspired and that someday their siren song of nostalgia will drive you mad with longing? Or at least you'll think, hey, for the money those 30 minutes were great!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:08 am

joelpatterson wrote:
inverseroom wrote: and it was ripped to shreds in like 30 minutes.
Don't tell me those 30 minutes weren't inspired and that someday their siren song of nostalgia will drive you mad with longing? Or at least you'll think, hey, for the money those 30 minutes were great!
Ha! That's right, Behringer as angst source!

Glad you dig the Denoiser, JAS! Rodgre told me to get it like two years ago, so thank him.