Nord Keyboards

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Nord Keyboards

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:04 am

I saw the Earlies the other night and one of their keyboard players was using what I believe to be a Nord keyboard, ...it was red, okay?
He was getting the most convincing Mellotron sound I've ever heard in my life from it, then he played a B3 and a Rhodes with it....I was really pretty impressed.
I looked at the Nord site and I didn't see anything that did all three of those tricks, the Electro model being the closest.
Any help?

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:53 am

Don't know about Mellotron, but the Electro does reasonably convincing Hammond, Rhodes, and Wurlie sounds. We had a band in about a year or so ago based around the keyboard player using an Electro. I gotta admit, he had his sounds dialed in, and could easily switch from one to another as the session progressed. He was singing and playing live with the rest of the band, and sometimes changing sounds in the course of a tune. I thought "not bad at all for a single device", and made a point of looking at his rig. Then I looked around our live room and saw the real Hammonds and Wurlies gathering dust and kinda sighed. He was quicker with his rig and he knew how to make it make his sounds, so no harm. Maybe not the same charm, but it worked well for him, and it's much easier to tote around than the real McCoys. I've since met one other keys player that really loves his Electro for that versatile portability factor...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:04 am

djimbe wrote:Don't know about Mellotron, but the Electro does reasonably convincing Hammond, Rhodes, and Wurlie sounds. We had a band in about a year or so ago based around the keyboard player using an Electro. I gotta admit, he had his sounds dialed in, and could easily switch from one to another as the session progressed. He was singing and playing live with the rest of the band, and sometimes changing sounds in the course of a tune. I thought "not bad at all for a single device", and made a point of looking at his rig. Then I looked around our live room and saw the real Hammonds and Wurlies gathering dust and kinda sighed. He was quicker with his rig and he knew how to make it make his sounds, so no harm. Maybe not the same charm, but it worked well for him, and it's much easier to tote around than the real McCoys. I've since met one other keys player that really loves his Electro for that versatile portability factor...
yeah I know what you mean! This would certainly be for live use as I have anice piano, wurli and hammond. But man, I have NO interest in owning a Mellotron you know?

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Nord Keyboards

Post by pscottm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:28 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote: I looked at the Nord site and I didn't see anything that did all three of those tricks, the Electro model being the closest.
Any help?
i use a nord lead 1 as a mian keyboard live and happen to use those sounds you mention alot, but in my case the sounds are coming mostly from a powerbook. :P

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Re: Nord Keyboards

Post by lyman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:47 am

pscottm wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote: I looked at the Nord site and I didn't see anything that did all three of those tricks, the Electro model being the closest.
Any help?
but in my case the sounds are coming mostly from a powerbook.
Reason has a pretty convincing mellotron sound if i recall correctly.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:28 pm

The keyboardist in my band- Tris McCall, uses a red Nord- I think the same model you speak of. He also uses it in his own band. It's pretty awesome. Highly recommended. I have to check on the actual model.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:52 pm

ain't no way I'm dragging a lappy-top to sweaty beer joints man.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Its an Electro. Nicest sounding ROM collection of keyboard instrument samples you can get in a keyboard.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:22 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Its an Electro. Nicest sounding ROM collection of keyboard instrument samples you can get in a keyboard.
So there are extra sounds you can get for it?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:37 pm

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:28 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Its an Electro. Nicest sounding ROM collection of keyboard instrument samples you can get in a keyboard.
So there are extra sounds you can get for it?
I think it is an Electro. I wish I had one.
Last edited by Coco on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

E Baxter Put
audio school graduate

Post by E Baxter Put » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:38 am

What type of mellotron sounds? Choir? Strings? Flute?

If all of the sounds were coming from the Nord, then it might be a Nord Stage. The Stage is an 88 key weighted keyboard with all of the electro sounds, better piano sounds, and a simple synth section that could have been making the mellotron sounds. The electro cannot really make any convincing mellotron sounds that I can think of.

http://www.clavia.se/products/nordstage/index.htm

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:53 pm

E Baxter Put wrote:What type of mellotron sounds? Choir? Strings? Flute?

If all of the sounds were coming from the Nord, then it might be a Nord Stage. The Stage is an 88 key weighted keyboard with all of the electro sounds, better piano sounds, and a simple synth section that could have been making the mellotron sounds. The electro cannot really make any convincing mellotron sounds that I can think of.

http://www.clavia.se/products/nordstage/index.htm
it wasn't a stage model, I took a look and that wasn't it.
It was the "flute" mellotron sound, you know the Strawberry Fields sound?
The extra sounds in the link above are merely the ones it comes with.
I'm baffled.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:11 pm

you sure it wasn't midi'd up to another box?
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:11 pm

You can easily trigger a sound module using the Nord. He could have switched local off and navigated to the active MIDI channel to engage the sound module/computer.

I think it is as simple as that. I know of no Clavia keyboard that has True Mellotron sounds available. If there are, then I would really appreciate knowing so.