Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

silver sonya
gettin' sounds

Recording articles written for the "straight world"

Post by silver sonya » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:01 pm

http://www.apple.com/pro/music/blumpy/

This should give you a giggle.

This guy ran an acoustic guitar INTO A LESLIE PLUG-IN!!

Does his maverick genius know no boundaries? I mean, if an acoustic guitar can be processed through a leslie plug-in, what's next? Compressed room microphones?! When will it stop?

--- Chad

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:27 pm

Hedges?s style is ideally suited to Blumpy?s no-label, no-studio approach.

Blumpy?s Wiseacres Studio, located in Northern Michigan.
[/color]
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:47 pm

Finally, somebody has opened a studio that doubles as a bed-and-breakfast!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:19 am

"When he sits down to mix, Blumpy gets revved...."

That sentence made me quit humanity as we know it. The fact that it is "blumpy" this and "blumpy" that is amazing. like a bad parody of studio culture at large.

I bet any one of us could "invent" a character... Like " snookie" or "hammer.'

Then take a picture of an unassuming suburban house,paste it next to some text, and write as compelling a "testimonial" as that. So amazing.

"hammer really gets revved up when he gets into wild techniques like reverb. Hammer likes to put reverb on tracks, to challenge the status quo, while keeping a keen eye (or ear) on the techniques developed for more 'classic' recordings. Hammer says, 'you know, like when dudes would like put reverb on thier voce just to make it all cool and stuff, but i do it to challenge people.' Hammer isnt afraid to push the boundaries. Hammer also likes what superlogicalDAW? gives him as far as mind bending plugins, that replicate some of the real 'pro' equipment like a compressor. "when I rreally want a jam to be something that says, 'this aint your drums grandma, so fuck off' I rech for one of the superlogicalDAW plugins like the 'fuck off'' compressor. I feel like the fact that everyone else can simply buy this compressor plugin off the shelf gives my productions a unique, and very personalized edge.'
Way to go Hammer. We salute you and your commitment to pushing the state of our art light years deeper into mediocrity.....

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:00 pm

joel hamilton wrote:.

I bet any one of us could "invent" a character... Like " snookie" or "hammer.'
Isn't that what Mixerman did?

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:15 pm

Over the years he?s engineered recordings for an impressive roster of clients, including Sheryl Crow, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Eminem, Eric Clapton, Kid Rock, Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Third Eye Blind and Tom Petty ? plus a rash of lesser-known artists.

fuckin' A, man. i've had one of them lesser known artists rashes. it was a bitch to get rid of.

analoghacker
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analoghacker » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:29 pm

the other thing about this ad and the values it promotes that confounds the senses and blunts the impact of anything real is that "blumpy" is made the very image of what really matters... a "real" life "creative", cutting coupons ($2500 an hours worth...) in the neverending search for commercial substance in the cultural desert of pop. the message seems to be that blumpy can save us, and on a budget too. i was laughing so hard until it sunk in that somebody at apple was paid to put this together to appeal to all the potential "blumpies" out there (that would be us, is the message). that this fantasy must exist for someone somewhere in enough of a quantity to warrant spending market research and ad money in order to reach them and sell apple products to, goes without saying. what a miserable fucking ad. fuck blumpy. fuck tony mottola. fuck time warner. fuck em all. and any one that aspires to make what matters that which erases itself as soon as it appears.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:41 pm

That was a great Logic ad..and a waste of life to read..

heh..

good to see you on here CC !

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:That was a great Logic ad..and a waste of life to read..

heh..

You read it, you can UN read it.;)

JC: right on. Advertizing is the WORST. Even if it is for something we are sort of interested in. Totally BS.

Thanks Chad.... ;)

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:23 pm

I can't believe you dewds don't see the utter genius of such a future legend of the arts.....the man will be recorded music's patron saint and soon you will all be stealing these highly experimental techniques....

Like this one, or instance:
Blumpy ticks off some of the ways his approach departs from the norm. ?We?re using the ?wrong? mics ? like soft ribbon mics on acoustic guitars ? to play with how things are traditionally done.?
Recognize, haters!

I'm liking this "Hammer" guy too...wild techniques like reverb.....very interesting. :wink:

Oh, Blumpy, how I wish there was a "slaps head and finally commences to vomiting" smiley.

heylow

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 pm

I love when he says that the fact that all records sound the same now isn't necessarily bad. Isn't oit, though?

Also, what a toonce- Logic DOES NOT "sound different". That defies, well, logic. I mean all it is is an editor/sequencer. There's no reason that Protools and Logic would create different sounds when the same track is recorded with the same hardware. Weird.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:44 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:That was a great Logic ad..and a waste of life to read..

heh..

You read it, you can UN read it.;)
sorry didnt like the article too much..

I'm not trying to be sarcastic about Chad's posting here in any way..now that I read my wording it comes off kind of funny that way..I'm excited to see you here Chad..I hope to see more of your posts in here in the future..I'm actually one of your clients and just gave you a great reference in another forum here..still have the "skunk ape" tape in the lounge? 8)

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Re: Recording articles written for the "straight world&

Post by NewAndImprov » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:52 pm

silver sonya wrote:http://www.apple.com/pro/music/blumpy/

This should give you a giggle.

This guy ran an acoustic guitar INTO A LESLIE PLUG-IN!!

Does his maverick genius know no boundaries? I mean, if an acoustic guitar can be processed through a leslie plug-in, what's next? Compressed room microphones?! When will it stop?

--- Chad
Yeah, the article's a load of crap, but his tip about using folders for vocal comps is pretty right on, something I hadn't though of and will definitely use.