Wendy Carlos' Recording Tips for the Beginner

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:24 pm

inverseroom wrote: I think he admitted to her that he would be openly addressing the fact of her sex change in the book, though only briefly, and she took it rather personally. She evidently doesn't like to talk about it, or for it to be talked about. Which is too bad because it's pretty fascinating, you have to admit.
Momus wrote a song about WC where the idea was (as I recall), if Wendy Carlos could go back in time, she could have sex with him/herself. WC wasn't too thrilled about the song and threatened him with legal action. The song was withdrawn from the CD.
I have the original vinyl version of Switched-On Bach by Walter Carlos, but if you buy the CD now, it's Wendy Carlos.
One of Jethro Tull's former keyboard players had a sex change- it must be a keyboard thing.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:46 pm

"Beauty in the Beast" is one of the few "alternate tuning" records (from someone with a western academic background) I've heard that is actually good, listenable music. Well worth checking out.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:09 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:"Beauty in the Beast" is one of the few "alternate tuning" records (from someone with a western academic background) I've heard that is actually good, listenable music. Well worth checking out.
My favorite in that category is Terry Riley's "Shri Camel"--all done on a Yamaha combo organ customized with just intonation. I listen to it all the time, actually, and i don't even smoke pot.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:32 am

inverseroom wrote:
Roman Sokal wrote:
inverseroom wrote:"Check that no cables are plugged in backwards, or that an odd number of cables are connected together in series. This is called phase reversal." :lol:

She is one strange person, though. Quite reculsive and paranoid...my friend's efforts to interview her for a book on Moog resulted in his being permanently etched onto her hate list. But she is a modular synth genius.
what happened??
I think he admitted to her that he would be openly addressing the fact of her sex change in the book, though only briefly, and she took it rather personally. She evidently doesn't like to talk about it, or for it to be talked about. Which is too bad because it's pretty fascinating, you have to admit.
She goes into great detail on her website as to why she doesn't like to talk about it. You'd think that would be enough. No wonder she's reclusive. It's obviously a very painful and difficult thing for her, and people keep insisting on shoving it in her face whenever they get a chance.

It's natural to be curious, but in this case it's just rude given the circumstances. Your admission that "it's pretty fascinating" elevates her to about the level of a freakshow.

~jms

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:56 am

Zygomorph wrote:Your admission that "it's pretty fascinating" elevates her to about the level of a freakshow.
That is asinine and insulting to me. Sex change is uncommon, and the psychology and science behind it are interesting. I went out of my way to establish my respect and admiration for this woman, whose compositions, arrangements, and technical achievements are legion. But her personality and character are also interesting, and in my opinion worth mentioning. I don't think anybody is a fucking freakshow. I think people are complex, and I appreciate that complexity.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:13 am

Actually Zygomorph, I should put my money where my mouth is. I'm gonna write to her and see if I can get a TapeOp interview.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:16 am

inverseroom wrote:
Zygomorph wrote:Your admission that "it's pretty fascinating" elevates her to about the level of a freakshow.
That is asinine and insulting to me. Sex change is uncommon, and the psychology and science behind it are interesting. I went out of my way to establish my respect and admiration for this woman, whose compositions, arrangements, and technical achievements are legion. But her personality and character are also interesting, and in my opinion worth mentioning. I don't think anybody is a fucking freakshow. I think people are complex, and I appreciate that complexity.
I wasn't trying to bring personal injury upon your character.

But I simply disagree with your reading of the situation. It seems to me that she is being objectified in a way that she would obviously rather not.

~jms

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:38 am

Zygomorph wrote:
inverseroom wrote:
I wasn't trying to bring personal injury upon your character.

But I simply disagree with your reading of the situation. It seems to me that she is being objectified in a way that she would obviously rather not.

~jms
Hmm. I think there's a big difference between discussing her unusual biography in the larger context of her life's work here on a messageboard, and pestering her personally with questions about her transformation into a woman. Needless to say, I would never do the latter. But the lives of people who make the music we enjoy are interesting to us, and it would be silly to go around pretending not to notice that at some point "Walter" Carlos disappeared and was supplanted by Wendy.

We live in a culture in which it's acceptable, even expected, for people to discuss their work in the context of their personal identity. This is probably why this issue is a problem for Wendy Carlos--people want to talk about it. Should I ever get the chance to talk to her, that's not the kind of conversation I would want to have. But her famous eccentricity and desire for privacy is a noteworthy feature of her public persona, and discussing it here is not, in my opinion, "objectification."

Anyway, I just sent her an email asking for a TapeOp interview. Which she is highly likely to ignore. Still, she would be a perfect TO subject, being an inveterate tinkerer.

Sorry I got so pissed.

John

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:16 am

Seriously, dude gets a sex a change its totally normal to want to know about it.

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:19 pm

i actually just heard 'switched on bach' in its entirety for the first time last week...def. interesting but i enjoy the Clockwork Orange soundtrack a bit more
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:34 pm

hauser gabone wrote:i actually just heard 'switched on bach' in its entirety for the first time last week...def. interesting but i enjoy the Clockwork Orange soundtrack a bit more
"Timesteps" (on Clockwork Orange) is badass, the CD reissue has the full-length version.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 pm

"Not the kind to bring home to mother."
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:03 pm

Love this one:

"Do not wave at a performer unless seated. Good studio practice minimizes all Standing Waves."

That BEAUTY IN THE BEAST album recommended above is a real monster: all unheard sounds, playing all unheard music - AND it's listenable, as he said. And Clockwork Orange is amazing too. Switched on Bach 2 is my fave of the old ones...

(PS - when somebody doesn't want to talk about something, it's best to let it go.)
Relax and float downstream...

lanterns
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lanterns » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:21 pm

brilliant talent
bar none
because there is no measure
to her talent

viola

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:29 pm

Girl Toes wrote:I found this record in New Orleans, and rescued it:

i bought that on cassette when it was new.

i still love it.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca